Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's about as simple as anything you could tackle. Jack up the bike. Unbolt the break calipers and let them hang, don't pump the lever. Loosen the pinch bolt at bottom of right side fork. Unscrew the front axle and pull it out. Catch the collars or spacers. Keep the bearings and seals clean. Grease it when it goes together. All metric. I must add, you may have to remove the fender on the classic, not an issue on the custom.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GMIslander!

It's about as simple as anything you could tackle. Jack up the bike. Unbolt the break calipers and let them hang, don't pump the lever. Loosen the pinch bolt at bottom of right side fork. Unscrew the front axle and pull it out. Catch the collars or spacers. Keep the bearings and seals clean. Grease it when it goes together. All metric. I must add, you may have to remove the fender on the classic, not an issue on the custom.

Worked on many of autos, but novice on the bike. Again, thanks!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Your biggest problem is jacking up the bike. Jacks don't fit under the low style V stars. What I do is put a few blocks together, wide and solid and about 12" high, little board as a ramp and reverse the bike up onto the blocks. Then take out the ramp, and a jack will fit under it. The flat box iron section that joins the left cradle to the right underneath the rear of the engine is the best place to jack. I'd recommend putting a bit of a plank between the jack and the steel though to protect your paintwork.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You won't have to remove fender on the classic.

·
2,487 Posts
Yes, the front wheel can be removed without taking off the fender on a Classic. I was told that I'd have to remove the rear fender to get the back wheel off but I was able to jack it up enough to get it out. Another option that I used for my Nomad was to hoist it up using the rafters in my garage. Worked pretty good.

·
2,487 Posts
That must be a 2000 - it's the same color mine was.

·
2,487 Posts
I looked for a Road Star but nothing was available for a reasonable price and I stumbled on a Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600 so I grabbed it. Basically Kawi's version of the Road Star with FI and liquid cooling.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I looked for a Road Star but nothing was available for a reasonable price and I stumbled on a Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600 so I grabbed it. Basically Kawi's version of the Road Star with FI and liquid cooling. View attachment 91448

My new to me 1700 looks exactly like your 1600, same colors too. Only difference I can see is they changed the saddlebags to top loading on the 1700.

·
2,487 Posts
My new to me 1700 looks exactly like your 1600, same colors too. Only difference I can see is they changed the saddlebags to top loading on the 1700.
If you're talking differences between 1600 and 1700 Nomads, the 1700 is a completely different bike with a redesigned frame and shorter wheelbase. They wanted to make it more nimble, but it made it a little tight for taller people. I fit both well, but I kinda like the longer wheelbase for 2 up riding, and the side load saddlebags.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts