Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Yamaha VStar XVS650 Custom
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, bought this gauge for the 650. I don't like not knowing how much fuel is in the tank, and frankly, going off what I see inside, means absolutely nothing to me (lol). I get the gauge, and no instructions are included. Went back to the site, and they have nothing either. When I looked at the pics of the gauge upon purchasing, there was a pic with 4 wires, and labels. This one shows up, and it has 6 wires.... I am completely baffled!
Please tell me someone on here has been through this specific situation?
The original pic showed:
Black-Battery Neg
Red-Battery Pos
Yellow-Oil Sensor Signal
Green-Pickup Speed Sensor
Now, with that said, I do not know what/where the oil sensor signal wire is, nor the pickup speed sensor.
As I stated above, there are actually 6 wires on mine... the other 2 wires are both white.
(Additionally, in the 2nd pic it shows connectors on the red wire, as you can see in the first pic, it has no connectors on any of the wires.)

Please send help quickly? Lol!
(See pics below....)
20200406_070619.jpg
Screenshot_20200406-070345_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20200406-071320_eBay.jpg

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
there are no oil sensors on the 650 - low oil level nor low oil pressure

its critical that you check your oil before riding the bike (in the site glass, easy with a small mirror) and that you do not ride the bike with an oil leak - if the oil leak gets worse and the oil leaks out, the only indication you get is your main bearings knocking after the engine has been destroyed

There is no gas level sensor, or low fuel level sensor in the bike either, so there is nothing to hook a gas level wire to (but the directions say "oil" ?!).

The tach should work if you tie it in to the ignition - either the coil fire signal on one of the coils, or maybe splice it in to the stator pickup signal. The speedometer on the 650 is mechanical, so you cant tie it there, and even if you did the speed would not indicate the engine RPM because the gauge would not know what gear you are in.

Sorry to say but this is not a fuel level gauge for the 650, unless they also sell a fuel level sensor - and it has nothing to do with the oil.

I think the people who made this do not speak english, and obviously have never hooked one up to a Vstar 650.

BTW, the intended way to keep track of your fuel level:

everytime you get gas fill the tank to the bottom of the cone inside the filler opening - do not till it to the top edge of the tank or it will overflow when the gas warms up in the sun
set your trip odo to 000

ride the bike with the petcock in the MAIN position

somewhere around 180 to 200 miles the bike will start to stumble / lose power - reach down and flip the petcock to RES (reserve)

Get gas as soon as possible, you have about 30 miles range left on reserve

When you fill the tank calculate your mpgs, and make a note of when it started to stumble

Once you have done this a few times you will know where the main section of the tank runs out - if its always around 190 miles for example, then flip the tank to reserve at 190 miles before it starts to stumble. This will keep the engine from dropping out on you in an intersection, on a sweeping curve, or in the merge lane on the highway - and again get gas as soon as possible.

If you calculate your mpgs everytime you fill up you will know your range on the trip odo.

If you are going on a road trip and might need to push the bike to its ~240 mile limit on a full tank of gas (if you are getting 58mpg) then get an alum quart bottle and keep it full of fuel in your saddle bag - it will get you another 15 miles down the road if you ever run out completely. But dont leave that quart of gas in your bag for months, unless you put seafoam to stabilize the 10% ethanol - it will break down after a few months and get like jello.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
You would also need a level sensor inside of the tank for a gauge to connect to. What I want to know is why are you hooking to an oil sensor to read fuel ?
The Vstar 650 reads the speed from a non digital ( analog) speed pick up on the front wheel, through speedometer cable to the speedometer. there is no electrical speed sensor.
Also a speed sensor is not going to tell you engine RPM.

·
Registered
2007 Yamaha VStar XVS650 Custom
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. The oil sensor... that is simply what they said in the one pic...
I agree that it made no sense.
So I guess I will have to just abandon this idea all together

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Thanks guys. The oil sensor... that is simply what they said in the one pic...
I agree that it made no sense.
So I guess I will have to just abandon this idea all together
Unfortunately i think that is best, i don't see how it could have possibly worked. I was hoping someone could have made it work.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You could always make a DIY sight glass:

It's too bad someone doesn't come up with a cap replacement for the VStar like this:

I'd buy one.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
The tach would stil be useful if you can find where to connect the pickup wire

if you can scale the "oil" meter to 13.5V full scale, you can use it as a battery voltage indicator.

Reactions: stratsurvivor

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
The cap gauge would work because the cap is over the deepest part of the tank, but when it shows empty it would still have about a quarter tank left.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ok, I really want a gas gauge now. There's gotta be a simple answer. (And yes I watch my mileage after fill up.. But, my hypercharger jetted bike only gets like 40 mpg! ). What we need is a sending unit that can run from small voltage, and a cap with a digital meter, hmm?

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Ok, I really want a gas gauge now. There's gotta be a simple answer. (And yes I watch my mileage after fill up.. But, my hypercharger jetted bike only gets like 40 mpg! ). What we need is a sending unit that can run from small voltage, and a cap with a digital meter, hmm?
40 mpg x 3.5 gallons = Butt break time. 3.5 is what i put in my 1100 yesterday when i switched to reserve.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
the problem with a gas gauge on a motorcycle is the gas sloshes around so much, the gauge would be all over the place - you would have to look down and stare at it to see where its leveling out, taking your eyes off the road for way way too long

you have a gauge, the bike is consistent with its MPG usage - it measure the amount of gas used based on the distance since you last filled the tank: the trip odo.

if your bike has the res petcock there is no issue.

a gas gauge on a motorcycle is a solution to a problem that does not exist

If I was tempted to add instruments to a motorcycle: oil pressure is the thing that is lacking - loss of oil pressure will destroy the engine in minutes.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
My Stratoliner has a gas gauge ( first I have had in 16 bikes), it is really nice. This bike is so comfortable I have to be told to pull over and get gas. I have a .9 reserve when it hits Empty. It doesn't have a petcock, it actually has a separate reserve tank under the seat , this is also where the fuel pump is. It would be nice to make a fuel gauge / gas cap to add to Star Bikes for those that want one.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
my 2000 Royal star has a low fuel warning light and a standard petcock Main Off Res

the warning light is suppose to come on about the time the Main section is empty.

it doesnt work - when I drained the previous owners gas out of the tank... no light.

·
Registered
233 Posts
KCW, you are right. A solution without a problem.. A low oil light would be nice.. TCLOCS works fine though ?

Reactions: KCW

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I think part of the "no instruments" and TCLOCs every morning is the understanding that your motorbike must be 100% everyday, or you can get seriously hurt or killed

like a pilot checking his plane before each flight - it forces you to check the oil and tires and lights as if your life depends on it...

and you pull out of the driveway every morning with that sober thought in mind

·
Registered
233 Posts
Umm, KCW? was that a criticism because I still do TCLOCS? Or was that an agreement that riding a bike is fun, that we must take seriously? Just making sure...

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I check over my bike every morning before I ride it, recommend the same for everyone

my post is saying the 'as simple as possible' design of basic motorbikes requires that you check it everyday, and inspect it on a scheduled basis, because it is so simple, there is no instrumentation that is going to warn you if there is no oil or fuel, your tires are flat, your chain is loose, your engine is running on one cylinder, your lights are out...

its up to the rider (pilot) to make sure the vehicle is good to go

·
Registered
2005 V Star 1100 Classic
63 Posts
For me, I found the tach was the best thing I added (other than the ORK). I bought a Drag Specialties chrome mini white face with a blue back light. Mounted it just back of the handle bar bracket. I made a bracket by forming a polished piece of thin aluminum (which I sandwiched between the bracket) and bolted the tach using the 2 mounting bolts on the bottom of the tach - sticks up a little like an oil can - looks cool. Don't need a fuel gauge I just keep an eye on the mileage

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I do a walk around on my bike regularly. But we also do a ton of 4 to 6 hour one direction rides, it is nice to have that fuel gauge so you can plan when you stop by knowing you have 1/2 a tank or a 1/4 tank when you see the signs on the interstate telling what towns you are coming up to. If you have never ridden a Roadliner / Stratoliner you can ride farther then your tank can hold without being tired. I have an extremely bad back and a 5 or 6 hour trip is easy on that bike. When riding the 650 I was ready for a break when it was getting close to needing gas, now I wish I had a bigger tank because I could go longer without a break.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts