Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy Folks! Hope all of you awesome peoples are doing great!

I am a recent convert, I ride a GSXR but absolutely fell in love the V-Star Bobber look when i came across it and that brought me here.

I have been lurking around for a little while now, Reading and watching some amazing work being done. It is absolutely amazing what collective of some people is capable of. The support system the community provides is great! Looking at various build threads has inspired me so much that i have decided to buy a V-Star and start my project.

I have narrowed my search down to two V-Stars. Here is where i need some help from all you experienced Folks :D Please guide.

1st : Black Beauty . Asking Price $2300 : 1999 V-Star 650 - 6060 Miles

2nd : Purple Dragon . Asking Price $2700 : 2001 V-star 650 - 6800 Miles

Which one do you guys think is better Option.
Newer 2001 or 1999. Which one is better when it comes to converting to a Bobber. I was thinking Since the look will change no matter which one I buy. I could save a few bucks by buying the older one. But i am so lost. Newer year means newer stuff! Please Help!

·
Super Moderator
6,015 Posts
Hi Kirk, first off welcome to the forum. You've chosen a great place to learn from. I don't think with either bike you can go wrong. Both are carbed so there shouldn't be a tremendous amount of difference between them. I too am building a bobber project. I've gotten some great ideas from our forum, and from several YouTube videos. There's several 650 bobbers on there. Low and Mean also has some good vids on bobbers. Keep us updated on your progress.

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
i'd be inclined to go with whoever took better care of the bike. ask the owners about their maintenance schedules. when/how often were fluids changed, tires, carb cleaned, etc.? how has each been stored? were they regularly ridden or sat for years? how were they prepped when stored? the '99 looks like it's in front of a dealer so good luck getting answers on that one, but at least you can ask if they have fully serviced/inspected it and what currently needs to be done to it or tune it.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I have to agree with Bevo on this one. But since you're gonna make a bobber out of it, and remove most of the parts anyway, might get a little return on investment by selling off the parts that you remove. That being said, looks like more stuff on the 99 to sell off. Either way, good luck on yer venture.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi Kirk, first off welcome to the forum. You've chosen a great place to learn from. I don't think with either bike you can go wrong. Both are carbed so there shouldn't be a tremendous amount of difference between them. I too am building a bobber project. I've gotten some great ideas from our forum, and from several YouTube videos. There's several 650 bobbers on there. Low and Mean also has some good vids on bobbers. Keep us updated on your progress.

Hello Keith! Thank you - Glad to be part of this awesome community. Awesome that helps greatly! Sweet cannot wait to see what you do with yours. i am surely going to check out Low and Mean. I will surely keep ya updated. Thanks once again for the welcome.

i'd be inclined to go with whoever took better care of the bike. ask the owners about their maintenance schedules. when/how often were fluids changed, tires, carb cleaned, etc.? how has each been stored? were they regularly ridden or sat for years? how were they prepped when stored? the '99 looks like it's in front of a dealer so good luck getting answers on that one, but at least you can ask if they have fully serviced/inspected it and what currently needs to be done to it or tune it.
Hey Bevo ! Awesome Info - Thanks Bevo - I had been putting a small list together to ask the owner, your tips most defiantly highlight the best questions. and yes The dealers always work that charm into in so gotta be careful. I have been looking and looking cannot find a bike less than 9K Miles for under 3K. These two are the only ones i managed to track down.

I have to agree with Bevo on this one. But since you're gonna make a bobber out of it, and remove most of the parts anyway, might get a little return on investment by selling off the parts that you remove. That being said, looks like more stuff on the 99 to sell off. Either way, good luck on yer venture.
Hello Sonysnek! Thats true, i didn't even think that far. It will surely help out a little i guess. These bikes are everywhere so i am sure selling parts won't be an issue.

I have never worked on a motorcycle, but in my spare time i build Movie Props ( Prop Weapons, Lights, Set Decor - etc ). I also built a CNC Machine last year, it took me about 6 months, when building that i had no experience. I believe one can do anything if you truly enjoy doing the task on hand. I have always loved motorcycles, and want to be like you folks where you build something for yourself with your own hands and according to your own taste. I am sure it will be difficult at first but i am excited about learning & starting this project.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Howdy folks! It's been little over a week since I have been hunting for a Vstar for my bobber project!

I'm glad to say I have found One! A great fit for my project. It needs a lot of work but it can be rescued.

This v-star needs a lot of love and care the front is Total. I have little experience in the matter but I am looking forward to tackling this challenge head on. The next few days i am going to be installing ceiling brackets in the garage so I can hold the bike up when working ! Enough rambling take a look at the bike and please give any tips that can help me rescue this V-Star.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Howdy folks! It's been little over a week since I have been hunting for a Vstar for my bobber project!

I'm glad to say I have found One! A great fit for my project. It needs a lot of work but it can be rescued.

This v-star needs a lot of love and care the front is Total. I have little experience in the matter but I am looking forward to tackling this challenge head on. The next few days i am going to be installing ceiling brackets in the garage so I can hold the bike up when working ! Enough rambling take a look at the bike and please give any tips that can help me rescue this V-Star.

The only thing I would keep from the front is the bars and risers. You could probably turn them down and make some kind of drag bars. Looks like everything else in the front is gone

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only thing I would keep from the front is the bars and risers. You could probably turn them down and make some kind of drag bars. Looks like everything else in the front is gone
True thats what i was thinking - the breaking system and the disk maybe saved as well.

Here is what i need a little help on. What kinda Front Forks do you guys recommend. Buy the stock forks and then go about lowering them or raising them afterwards depending on which look i am going for?

·
Registered
510 Posts
True thats what i was thinking - the breaking system and the disk maybe saved as well.

Here is what i need a little help on. What kinda Front Forks do you guys recommend. Buy the stock forks and then go about lowering them or raising them afterwards depending on which look i am going for?
I don't like the big fat front tubes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Oh These are very Nice! This can be good while replacing the bad forks i can upgrade to Triple Tree!

Raul Thanks for your help mate. So if i get this kit! i am set? or will there will be other stuff that is needed to fix the bad forks? I understand i will need new seals and so on. I am a total Newbie...when it comes to this stuff. I am also reading and learning more as i bounce in and out of the forum.

Also Need help with the Wheel : Guys will the V-star Classic wheels fit the v-star Custom? and up to which year the parts are swappable?

·
Super Moderator
6,015 Posts
Hey Kirk, a lot of parts are interchangeable from the classic to the custom except for the fenders.
Judging from the picture you posted, I'd say you have a good starter project there. I agree with Raul in the bars and risers appear to be salvageable. As far as front forks go, it depends on what look you're going after. There's a lot of choices out there for the 650s. On my bobber project I'm leaving the stock forks on as it already sits low being a Virago. Fortunately it appears you have several options out there. Keep us updated. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Kirk, a lot of parts are interchangeable from the classic to the custom except for the fenders.
Judging from the picture you posted, I'd say you have a good starter project there. I agree with Raul in the bars and risers appear to be salvageable. As far as front forks go, it depends on what look you're going after. There's a lot of choices out there for the 650s. On my bobber project I'm leaving the stock forks on as it already sits low being a Virago. Fortunately it appears you have several options out there. Keep us updated. Hope this helps.
Hello Keith. Thanks for your input. I have been looking and searching a lot but cannot seem to digg anything up on different choices as far as the front forks go.can you point me to some please?!
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,015 Posts
Let search some for you in a bit, and you can email lowandmean.com. I asked them some 950 questions and they replied the same day.

·
Super Moderator
6,015 Posts
Ok Kirk, here's just a few places to look at. Bikebiz.com, bluecollarbobbers.com, blackopbobbers.com, chopcult.com, bikermetric.com, buycheapr.com, bobbercycle.com, and deadpiratemotorcycles.com. They have kits, parts, etc. Maybe you can get some ideas from some of these sites. Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Let search some for you in a bit, and you can email lowandmean.com. I asked them some 950 questions and they replied the same day.
Ok Kirk, here's just a few places to look at. Bikebiz.com, bluecollarbobbers.com, blackopbobbers.com, chopcult.com, bikermetric.com, buycheapr.com, bobbercycle.com, and deadpiratemotorcycles.com. They have kits, parts, etc. Maybe you can get some ideas from some of these sites. Good luck.
Man Keith ! You are a life saver!!! - Thank you so much . I have been looking and looking for some odd reason i couldn't dig all these up! Thanks for getting me started! I will report back!

Picked her Up this afternoon - Boy it was a battle - i don't have trailer had to push it over the ramp into bed of the truck! it was fun :) Cannot wait to get started on it.

·
Super Moderator
6,015 Posts
You're welcome Kirk, hope some of those websites will be of help. If you're not in a big rush, I'd recommend shopping around between the various sites. You can also look at the old faithful ebay and amazon as well. Glad you got er ' home ok. I also use Google to look at bobbers for additional information and ideas. Good luck man, and please keep us updated. Looking forward to seeing the finished product as I'll be working on mine thru the approaching colder weather as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts