Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get some comments from anyone who's ridden this bike. Considering it's one of the longest on the market, I have to wonder what kind of corner handling it has. Does it have the turning radius of a ocean liner or what? :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sweet Ride!

Ok, so I didn't go out and buy one of these but... It corners great! (Actually, I won one in a giveaway!) The engineering used in building this bike was worth it - it lays over into curves as easily as a smaller bike. You would be amazed if you rode one - good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update!

Just to let everyone know... I am in LOVE with this bike! I have 1,200 miles on it now, it's fully broke in, and it rides SWEET! Did I mention it will go 115 MPH (or more... stay tuned) and it handles at that speed just like it was cruising at 75. This machine is smooth from the start, the shifting, and the ride comfort at any speed. The cornering is superb!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd like to get some comments from anyone who's ridden this bike. Considering it's one of the longest on the market, I have to wonder what kind of corner handling it has. Does it have the turning radius of a ocean liner or what? :)
Great bike, coners well...goes around the twisties very comfortable even with pegs scraping [what an unsetteling sound] but you can lift your foot and it's not as rude. Get's up to speed QUICK ! Top speed? Had it over 125... I did shut it down before looking at the speedo Over 130 probably.....Long rides 3-4 hrs I do get sore between my shoulder blades..I'm 5ft 8in good luck... ride it hard and fast...keep your risk low...and stay safe...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cornering

I just traded an R1 for a 09 Raider, I have a little over 200 miles on the Raider, only been to 70 mph. The Raider handles very well, I think it corners almost as well as the R1, just feels like I'm setting in the back seat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my Raider for six months and have found it to be a sweet ride. Corners well and will peg the speedo and then some.. I have 4900 miles on it and had to replace the rear tire!!!! Am thinking of going to "the dark side", anyone tried this yet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have not heard of anybody going to the dark side w/ the Raider. If it was me I would switch to a 240 unless you want to be the 1st on the dark side.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yep, don't know if I have the gonads for it tho. Seems as tho everybody that does it have no regrets. The naysayers have never tried it and rely on the logic of MC tires for MCs, Car tires for cars. Seems logical to me and yet still no complaints from the darksiders. :confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
love the darkdarkside

I have had my Raider for six months and have found it to be a sweet ride. Corners well and will peg the speedo and then some.. I have 4900 miles on it and had to replace the rear tire!!!! Am thinking of going to "the dark side", anyone tried this yet?
Use a directional z rated tire 225-40-18 it will fit fine. I now have 13,000mi on mine and just the edge is starting to wear start out at 40psi and after about 500 miles start to drop the pressure 2psi at a time untill you find your and I repeat YOUR sweet spot mine is 32psi any lower and its too soft any higher and it tracks so use your own gudgement. keep both tires on the ground and have fun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I heard that if you have a flat a car tire will come off the rim because the bead isn't as stiff.

This came from a private mc shop owner that also said mc tires avail on the net are 2nds (yeah right :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I heard that if you have a flat a car tire will come off the rim because the bead isn't as stiff.

This came from a private mc shop owner that also said mc tires avail on the net are 2nds (yeah right :rolleyes:)
How often have you seen a car tire come off the rim on a car when it goes flat? your answer is no it would take a lot of hard corners to pull that tire off the rim plus the side wall is harder and taller than the 210-40-18. you only have an inch or so on the mc tire and about 3 1/2 on a ct.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm still waiting for 1 neg comment from somebody who runs a ct :confused:

So far none!
I will give you 1 neg comment.Being that the tire has a flater profile it tends to walk on the tar strips and road groves more than a NEW mc tire ,that is why you lower the air pressure 2psi at a time untill you find the pressure that best fits your overall weight and riding style. Still the tire feels and handles like the stock mc tire that has around 1800 miles on it , with the stock tire being so wide to start with as it wears it gets flater in the center "we are riding a cruser not a ricer so the center will end up wearing faster than the rest"So on the ct it just starts out that way and gets better as you ride. The edge of the ct starts to wear slightly faster leaving you with the center of the tire , and that is the why you can get 20 to 30K on a ct. STILL CONFUSED???

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd say the cornering is a learned practice on this bike. It's good, but the feeling is deliberate, and at first your hesitent to lean into the corners much until you must because of entering too fast. It's then you will find that the lean is good with no surprises. You do feel the Fatness of the rear tire ride up as it were, which might be exaserbated with a 240 rear tire as most are likely to go to. You'll feel it in your butt, a feeling of riding off center, or the rear feeling off center. But it is a light feeling bike when turning and about everywhere. Though it is a weighty bike, it certainly feels much lighter than it actually is.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts