Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
To be honest, I'm amazed at how well the Raider handles. I thought that I'd want to lower the back a little but after tossing it around yesterday I really don't want to mess with perfection. Is quite nimble for a long bike with rake and a 21 inch front wheel.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I can say although it isn't as sweet handling as a sportbike is, it handles pretty dang good. My pegs scrape a little earlier than I would like but the raider maneuvers very well and rides nicely in the corners. I am impressed. Not to hard to stand it back up coming out of the corners either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's all a matter of perspective. If you've been riding a busa and jump on the Raider your impression of its handling would be different than one who has been riding a gold wing. The fact is the raider handles better than most cruisers, even those much smaller. With me on it mine goes almost a half a ton and except when making very low speed tight maneuvers it lacks nothing in its ability to take corners and braking is excellent given its dimensions.

ABS would be the only stock improvement I regards to handling I would like to see. The raked out front end gives the impression that it could feel slippery, not so. First time I rode one I was amazed at the way it handled. I bought it that afternoon and after 2000 miles I am still lovin it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm still learning the raider some. One thing that is really impressive is how it leans when you use the seat to lean it...in otherwords twist your back and use the butt pad to lean it...it is really responsive. Very impressed

·
Registered
6 Posts
i had problems corning with the stock 200 tires
i started to experiment.
now that i put amarathon 888 220/50r/18 from a vmax, its a huge improvement. The only 2 glitches that i experience with it is # 1 the first dealer couldnt get it to bead on the rim. the second dealer managed with a bit of coaxing
The second issue is that on lower speeds it tends to wonder a bit instead of staying planted straight on hwy speed
but its a huge cornering improvement worth my while.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Another way to improve corner handling is mounting progressive front fork springs. I know that HyperPro makes them, but I am sure there are American suppliers as well.

I actually have the Raider ones mounted in my Roady, adapted for its shorter fork :), and I would never want a bike anymore without them. First thing I normally do with any cruiser/chopper.

Kind regards, Wim

21 - 27 of 27 Posts