Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
remember these? these first seemed to come out about a decade ago in custom choppers. are these the future of motorcycle wheels? are they just a fad? were they just a fad? i remember seeing these in some TV shows way back but haven't seen or heard anything about them in quite a while. what do you think about them?

http://www.quora.com/How-do-hubless-centreless-wheel-work

i think they're pretty dang cool. but i guess the main deterrent right now is that they are just too expensive. but i definitely see them becoming more popular somewhere down the line, maybe in another 20 years or so when people figure out how to mass produce them.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I had the fortune of talking with these guys last year while the paint was still wet on their new building in Merritt Island, FL. They said they had over $35,000 wrapped up in the wheels alone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Pretty cool but yeah I'm sure they would cost more that the bike they were on..

·
Registered
522 Posts
From what i understand and remember, Billy Lane has a patent on this but it faded away after he went to prison for killing that biker in a head on crash. He is out of prison but he sold Choppers Inc after he was incarcerated.

During one of his shows years back, he found a chain driven hub-less turn table at an industrial scrap yard and used the design for a rear wheel. He also got a patent on a rim disc rotor for the brakes.

This info is based on a Discovery Chanel interview of Billy Lane a good 10-15 years back.

Then there is this info... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centreless_wheel

·
Registered
522 Posts
He was one of my favorite bike builders, smart, unassuming never showing off any hothead behavior. It was a total shame his alcoholism got in the way.

His hubless wheel>

·
Registered
894 Posts
They'll always be cool and have a place in the custom world. They will never be common with current technology. Ever.

·
Super Moderator
13,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
never say never. oh, you didn't. people used to say we'd never fly in the sky like birds, or travel to the moon. or have Donald Trump leading in presidential polls. check out some of these futuristic designs. science fiction today, reality tomorrow. it's more of a tire video, but i didn't want to start a whole new thread just for this clip.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I gave myself an out "with current technology". To be common, the wheels bearings should cost less than the price of a new car. Plus, the bearings are pretty much running without proper lubrication. Those hurdles need to be overcome. As far as the video, a few of those concepts are already in play such as non-inflatable tires and split suspension tires so I can see Hankook having better luck realizing their concepts.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Until the design can be improved to give more reliability/longevity and the technology is developed to mass produce them cheaply, they won't become a common thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts