Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a humming, rubbing noise at 2300 to 2500rpms roughly and only on cold-cool days. Anyone else have this? I've taken about the dash and the piece above the headlights looking for something loose. I didn't find anything. I don't want to dig any deeper without an idea of what may be the problem.
thanks for any input
(if you have no useful input please don't bother replying)

·
Registered
143 Posts
(Eluder GT) No joke here: sometimes a helmet can generate a noise that sounds like it's coming from the bike. I have had this happen with a helmet visor: a hum and vibration that absolutely made me think it was something on the bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've rode without a helmet in case that was situation. I've experienced what you're talking about though. This is definitely a mechanical noise that always happens in the same rpm range.

·
Registered
1982 XV1100,1989 XT600Z Tenere, 2008 F800ST
2,093 Posts
Probably some sort of resonance. My V-Star 650 made a shuddering noise at 15, 25, 35, 45 and 55 kph i 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gear respectively. Meaning it was rpm related. Sounded like it could have been the exhaust system, but not sure. Never got any better or worse, so I learned to live with it. But you would want to find out if something is loose or about to break off on your bike before ignoring it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
1. Does the noise happen only while in motion? If so, does it do it any gear or speed while at 2300-2500 rpm? Does it do it with the clutch pulled while maintaining engine speed?
2. Since it only happens on cold/cool days, could it be a tire issue? Any recent tire changes?
3. Possible air box or air filter issue? I have noticed a difference in sound on cooler days and also noticed that a K&N filter makes a change in sound.

·
Registered
835 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks, Rob. I hope that @Sleepineluder found a less destructive source of the noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts