Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 with 35k on it. I suddenly got this humming noise today. It is speed dependent. I suspected tires at first but weaving back and forth makes no difference in the sound. I can pull the clutch in and it makes no difference either. Below about 30 mph I cant hear it. It kinda sounds like a bearing. I used a temp gun and shot my drive pulley and front wheel bearings... 134 degrees. Anyone have a clue what could be generating this humming?

·
Banned
2,819 Posts
2018 with 35k on it. I suddenly got this humming noise today. It is speed dependent. I suspected tires at first but weaving back and forth makes no difference in the sound. I can pull the clutch in and it makes no difference either. Below about 30 mph I cant hear it. It kinda sounds like a bearing. I used a temp gun and shot my drive pulley and front wheel bearings... 134 degrees. Anyone have a clue what could be generating this humming?
I’ve run into the same thing Rob.
I must say though, I recently replaced my brake pads and tires and now I don’t have it.
At first I thought it might be the drive belt, but mine seemed to be coming more from the front. How about you?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,463 Posts
Brake pad oscillating makes sense. Jack bike up, spin wheel, any drag?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve run into the same thing Rob.
I must say though, I recently replaced my brake pads and tires and now I don’t have it.
At first I thought it might be the drive belt, but mine seemed to be coming more from the front. How about you?
It is so hard to distinguish where sounds come from, at first I thought front but if I lower my head and lean to the left I think rear, if I spread my legs it sounds like the drive pulley area.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brake pad oscillating makes sense. Jack bike up, spin wheel, any drag?
I'll do that tomorrow but dont have high hopes. I put about 150 miles on it Sunday and parked it with no issues. Started it up today and noticed the noise immediately.

·
9,463 Posts
Clutch in and no change eliminates tranny. The speed dependant is going to be drive train related, brakes or bearings. Have you checked belt tension lately?

Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
955 Posts
Hey Rob I know this is a wild thought but I had a hum that turned out to be a missing push revit on the fairing. Only noticed it at moderate speed and not very consisten. Maybe there is something missing or coming loose. Did you remove or add anything new? Just hoping to spark thought.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Rob I know this is a wild thought but I had a hum that turned out to be a missing push revit on the fairing. Only noticed it at moderate speed and not very consisten. Maybe there is something missing or coming loose. Did you remove or add anything new? Just hoping to spark thought.
Nothing been touched. I'll poke around on the fairing but I believe it is going to be the drive pulley bearings based on where I think the sound is coming from but I would think it would generate more than 134 degree heat. I'll check rear wheel and bearings tomorrow.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Nothing been touched. I'll poke around on the fairing but I believe it is going to be the drive pulley bearings based on where I think the sound is coming from but I would think it would generate more than 134 degree heat. I'll check rear wheel and bearings tomorrow.
Ok good luck. I hope you find something and it is something less involved.

·
Banned
2,819 Posts
Saw your same post over on the Venture Eluder owners Facebook page.

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,292 Posts
Do you detect any scent? On my Rocket III, the front bearing went dry in a sealed unit. I smelt the hot metal and tracked the issue by nose.
I know yours is not the front bearing as you have check it with the heat gun, that would seem to rule it out as a bad bearing gets quite hot.
My only other old school trouble shooting techniques would be to touch and or feel for anomalies along all moving parts of the drive train; preferably while lifted.

Reactions: Hyde_me

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you detect any scent? On my Rocket III, the front bearing went dry in a sealed unit. I smelt the hot metal and tracked the issue by nose.
I know yours is not the front bearing as you have check it with the heat gun, that would seem to rule it out as a bad bearing gets quite hot.
My only other old school trouble shooting techniques would be to touch and or feel for anomalies along all moving parts of the drive train; preferably while lifted.
Don't smell a thing but it has to be in the driveline.

Update - I ran it up to 70 and shut down the engine with the clutch in, noise did not change. Yamaha shop called and said I could bring it in on 8-18...same date I had already been told.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I had a humming kind of noise driving me crazy, I had changed tires, I put a straight edge on the rear belt pulley, it was off just a little, I did a half of a line adjustment on one side of the rear wheel and the sound is gone. It wasn't much , but just enough to make the belt rub the edge of the pulley.

·
Banned
2,819 Posts
Don't smell a thing but it has to be in the driveline.

Update - I ran it up to 70 and shut down the engine with the clutch in, noise did not change. Yamaha shop called and said I could bring it in on 8-18...same date I had already been told.
Keep us updated Rob.
Thanks

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took it in today. Local Yamaha dealer noticed a trailer hitch and said Yamaha may not warranty any drive failures. I just said let me know. I suspect it is a bad drive pulley bearing. I am not happy with the failure and certainly will not if they dont honor their warranty.

·
9,463 Posts
Bummer, definitely keep us posted. Did they say anything about your rear tire being dark side?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yamaha called me today. He said all bearings are good. The only thing the could find was the belt looked slightly more worn on one side. (I looked at the belt before taking it to them and to me it looked fine.) He recommended a new belt...$995. Not gonna happen.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Someone needs to make a quick tool that lays on the pulley and belt to be able to easily see alignment of the belt

1 - 20 of 122 Posts