Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
361 - 380 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I am speechless! So...you were NOT TOLD (phoned), as soon as the damage was done...and even when they knee-jerked repairs. So...was the plan that you take it out from the shop...and unless you noticed any of the damage as you picked up the bike...would the scam have been...you coming back...declaring and noting to them of the damage...and they saying there WAS NO damage when you picked it up...YOU DID THIS after you picked up the bike?!?!?

OMG! Did it drop off the hoist, or just off the side stand, or someone holding the bike and losing the balance, or did someone take it out...what was your mileage read out, when you took it in, and before you rode away? Any significant difference, Gar?
It was a shocker and I was thinking i was going to have an argument but it went well when I talked to the shop manager. He was surprised and apologized.
From what it looks like the bike fell in the shop, I am thinking that the person that this fell on was on the bike and thought the kickstand was down and it went over. I haven’t noticed any additional damage but I want to give the bike a close inspection while I give it a wash.
So to answer you if you were asking, nope call or mentioning of this issue to me or the shop.
I guess they were thinking “must have been there.” “I don’t see anything…” kind of thought process.
What started this was I noticed metal shavings in the side bin (see picture) and thought that was odd.
Notice the new screws and an extra screw that was left behind as well as two different screw within the bin and I guickly looked at the bottom and notice the underside damage and then the engine guard.
The shop manager noticed the floorboard and bracket and then we notice the mark on the heat shield.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Rim Font

Product Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
884 Posts
I just don't get it. Even if it happened in the shop you'd think the shop manager would have been notified. The fact there are metal shavings, different bolts, and additional bolts look like they tried to patch it up hoping nobody would notice. So, hiding the fact they damaged it, and not fixing it right. That's the part that pisses me off most. I can understand that **** can accidentally happen. But that repair is what I do when I drop it myself and I'm too cheap to get new replacement parts.....not what a dealer/shop should be doing to a customer's machine.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
It was a shocker and I was thinking i was going to have an argument but it went well when I talked to the shop manager. He was surprised and apologized.
From what it looks like the bike fell in the shop, I am thinking that the person that this fell on was on the bike and thought the kickstand was down and it went over. I haven’t noticed any additional damage but I want to give the bike a close inspection while I give it a wash.
So to answer you if you were asking, nope call or mentioning of this issue to me or the shop.
I guess they were thinking “must have been there.” “I don’t see anything…” kind of thought process.
What started this was I noticed metal shavings in the side bin (see picture) and thought that was odd.
Notice the new screws and an extra screw that was left behind as well as two different screw within the bin and I guickly looked at the bottom and notice the underside damage and then the engine guard.
The shop manager noticed the floorboard and bracket and then we notice the mark on the heat shield.
View attachment 113258
View attachment 113259
OMG! I am truly speechless and in shock...I don't know how to respond....other than OMG, Gar... I am SO SORRY that you had to, (no, ..forced to) experience this...and if I had some magic wand...it would be gone from you...wow...so SORRY..... This...the bearing or pulley noises, the downtime for your cam and lifter....GAWD!.... None of this should be happening to an owner that takes care of his/her bike. None of this....

Joe

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I just don't get it. Even if it happened in the shop you'd think the shop manager would have been notified. The fact there are metal shavings, different bolts, and additional bolts look like they tried to patch it up hoping nobody would notice. So, hiding the fact they damaged it, and not fixing it right. That's the part that pisses me off most. I can understand that **** can accidentally happen. But that repair is what I do when I drop it myself and I'm too cheap to get new replacement parts.....not what a dealer/shop should be doing to a customer's machine.
Absolutely do I concur... I am beyond 'sorry' for Gar...wow....

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I hear ya..I believe they are now replacing everything but I want to confirm with them they are getting the bracket that this bin attaches to. The shop manager mentioned that it will need to be replaced but I want to confirm the part list. I hope to find out more on Tuesday.
Also on a side note the parts came in for the whining noise (belt and rear pulley) and they swapped them and hopefully this whining noise is gone however they noticed that the rear brakes are totally shot and don’t have any pad left, now I ask everyone, I wonder if this is my reason for the “whining noise.” The shop couldn’t get the brake pads and I had bought a set about 6 months back in anticipation that the brakes would need to be replaced soon. Ya me…
Crazy, crazy, crazy…

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
OMG! I am truly speechless and in shock...I don't know how to respond....other than OMG, Gar... I am SO SORRY that you had to, (no, ..forced to) experience this...and if I had some magic wand...it would be gone from you...wow...so SORRY..... This...the bearing or pulley noises, the downtime for your cam and lifter....GAWD!.... None of this should be happening to an owner that takes care of his/her bike. None of this....

Joe
Thanks Joe, maybe there is some good that will come out of this. I only issue is that this is the most convenient shop in the area to go for warranty work and now kind of obligated to go back until the fix the damage and whining noise if the belt and pulley and now rear brakes doesn’t resolve it…really hoping that the whine is gone and the damaged will be fixed and don’t have to go back.
I know my dealer is on this forum so guys/girls from the shop if you are reading this sorry but I really am nervous leaving My bike there, more so now than ever…..

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Maybe on our next virtual meet up I can have the floor for a few minutes to vent, I mean share the turn of events…..
Maybe not post the recording in case I mention names…..

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
13,182 Posts
Maybe on our next virtual meet up I can have the floor for a few minutes to vent, I mean share the turn of events…..
That can definitely be arranged.

Reactions: Brad_G and GARider

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
884 Posts
While I'm not a Venture owner, I've kept close tabs on this model section as it is a bike I'd be interested in for a future purchase (but not so sure now....).

I like that in our virtual meetings we can freely talk about bikes and any issues, suggestions, or other things that we like. So I'd say feel free to voice your feelings regarding your issues.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I hear ya..I believe they are now replacing everything but I want to confirm with them they are getting the bracket that this bin attaches to. The shop manager mentioned that it will need to be replaced but I want to confirm the part list. I hope to find out more on Tuesday.
Also on a side note the parts came in for the whining noise (belt and rear pulley) and they swapped them and hopefully this whining noise is gone however they noticed that the rear brakes are totally shot and don’t have any pad left, now I ask everyone, I wonder if this is my reason for the “whining noise.” The shop couldn’t get the brake pads and I had bought a set about 6 months back in anticipation that the brakes would need to be replaced soon. Ya me…
Crazy, crazy, crazy…
So, Gar, I know you like to ride in a sporty mode...so would you say that you use or feather the brakes more than say, would I, riding for the most part 'casual' with wife onboard. Or...could the differentiator valve that controls brake fluid to both the front and back brake with using either the front brake lever, or the rear brake foot pad? Could there be a problem with that valve, or your rear brakes are not fully releasing on their slides...(need lubrication) and that might be the whine pitch you hear?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Thanks Joe, maybe there is some good that will come out of this. I only issue is that this is the most convenient shop in the area to go for warranty work and now kind of obligated to go back until the fix the damage and whining noise if the belt and pulley and now rear brakes doesn’t resolve it…really hoping that the whine is gone and the damaged will be fixed and don’t have to go back.
I know my dealer is on this forum so guys/girls from the shop if you are reading this sorry but I really am nervous leaving My bike there, more so now than ever…..
Gar, I bought last Fall, a motorcycle trailer, (I posted a shot of it after having just picked it up from a man's Estate Sale) so I could tow the bike for overnight or week stay required work or maintenance (Yamaha's scheduled) as well as when I retire, my wife and I want to be able to ride year 'round...by being able now to tow the SVTC, or if by myself and wanting a back-roads whammer, my ZR-7S to Alabama, put my car and folded trailer into a 'rental by the month' U-Haul storage yard, (the folded trailer would go in their smallest storage locker) and the car inside the fenced compound, and we take off from Alabama...and head to let's say the Keys...in snowflake months... that was part of the decision to purchase a dedicated motorcycle tow trailer. If you bought one, that would also allow you to go further afield for dealers, and then drive home until you get the call to come and pick up your bike. It has worked out very well for me, especially when I was having the bike 2021 'modded'. My wife no longer has to follow me in the car, there and back. Just me...the trailer, and the SVTC. The three Musketeers...

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
So, Gar, I know you like to ride in a sporty mode...so would you say that you use or feather the brakes more than say, would I, riding for the most part 'casual' with wife onboard. Or...could the differentiator valve that controls brake fluid to both the front and back brake with using either the front brake lever, or the rear brake foot pad? Could there be a problem with that valve, or your rear brakes are not fully releasing on their slides...(need lubrication) and that might be the whine pitch you hear?
Hey Joe. I would agree that I use both the rear and front way more than most mainly because of the area and roads I do ride. However remember about a year back before the recall my rear brakes failed and there was no explanation from Yamaha as to why other than the fluid were 2 years old and per Yamaha service manual the fluids needed to be changed and could be the reason of the failure. So now and as I did last time, I am thinking that there could be a rear brake issue with my bike. The shop told me the rear really needed to be replaced and don’t have more that 70 miles left on them and the front are fine and can wait until the next tire change. I think since I have both sets of brakes I will opt to just have the set replaced however I did leave that up to the shop to make that call, I stated if you and the tech feel that the front really are not needed until next tire change than I am good with that.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Gar, I bought last Fall, a motorcycle trailer, (I posted a shot of it after having just picked it up from a man's Estate Sale) so I could tow the bike for overnight or week stay required work or maintenance (Yamaha's scheduled) as well as when I retire, my wife and I want to be able to ride year 'round...by being able now to tow the SVTC, or if by myself and wanting a back-roads whammer, my ZR-7S to Alabama, put my car and folded trailer into a 'rental by the month' U-Haul storage yard, (the folded trailer would go in their smallest storage locker) and the car inside the fenced compound, and we take off from Alabama...and head to let's say the Keys...in snowflake months... that was part of the decision to purchase a dedicated motorcycle tow trailer. If you bought one, that would also allow you to go further afield for dealers, and then drive home until you get the call to come and pick up your bike. It has worked out very well for me, especially when I was having the bike 2021 'modded'. My wife no longer has to follow me in the car, there and back. Just me...the trailer, and the SVTC. The three Musketeers...
Well Joe it’s like this. This shop was the go to shop for years, some issues but that is going to happen just don’t want them to happen to me. So it was easy for us to drop off the car the night before so when I drop off the bike the day of service I would have my car there to take home, the other option was I would simply drop off the bike the night or day before, no issues. But this was for some reason that was months or year between and no issues but now I am bringing I this bike more often than it is under my A$$. So basically this bike has become a huge pain in the A$$ for more than just riding it…..
Anyway to get to your trailer question, I never really needed one or a place to store it. With that stated I also didn’t want to have the responsibility of tying it down and transporting it.
Here in GA we have UHaul that rents motorcycle trailers if I really needed to but if the bike is operational than I prefer to drive it, I understand to switch to another shop and using the trailer to get it there to me this just seems way too extreme for a new bike to stay on the road running…I do have other shops that I can use when the warranty expires. However if push comes to shove I will rent the uhaul and bring it to another Yamaha shop but I am really hoping I don’t have to…
I did have a small conversation with the shop manager and they had released a few folks that he believes cause more harm than good to their business. So I am hoping that these bad attitude employees were the cause and things will resume back to normal….

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Well Joe it’s like this. This shop was the go to shop for years, some issues but that is going to happen just don’t want them to happen to me. So it was easy for us to drop off the car the night before so when I drop off the bike the day of service I would have my car there to take home, the other option was I would simply drop off the bike the night or day before, no issues. But this was for some reason that was months or year between and no issues but now I am bringing I this bike more often than it is under my A$$. So basically this bike has become a huge pain in the A$$ for more than just riding it…..
Anyway to get to your trailer question, I never really needed one or a place to store it. With that stated I also didn’t want to have the responsibility of tying it down and transporting it.
Here in GA we have UHaul that rents motorcycle trailers if I really needed to but if the bike is operational than I prefer to drive it, I understand to switch to another shop and using the trailer to get it there to me this just seems way too extreme for a new bike to stay on the road running…I do have other shops that I can use when the warranty expires. However if push comes to shove I will rent the uhaul and bring it to another Yamaha shop but I am really hoping I don’t have to…
I did have a small conversation with the shop manager and they had released a few folks that he believes cause more harm than good to their business. So I am hoping that these bad attitude employees were the cause and things will resume back to normal….
Well, Gar, you know that everybody here, on this Forum wishes you blue skies, and sails full of wind... Many of us know this is a great bike..but..we have not (not I...) had the P.I.the A. issues you have had since taking delivery. None of these issues should have ever come up on a brand new top of the line by manufacturer. None... You have paid your 'dues'...and now hopefully, when the back end gets quiet, you can just enjoy the bike you bought FOR THAT PURPOSE. My well wishes in that regard....

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Well, Gar, you know that everybody here, on this Forum wishes you blue skies, and sails full of wind... Many of us know this is a great bike..but..we have not (not I...) had the P.I.the A. issues you have had since taking delivery. None of these issues should have ever come up on a brand new top of the line by manufacturer. None... You have paid your 'dues'...and now hopefully, when the back end gets quiet, you can just enjoy the bike you bought FOR THAT PURPOSE. My well wishes in that regard....
Thanks Joe. I am really hoping so. I was thinking this might have been the last bike I buy and take me into retirement and trade down as age progressed so I am still hopeful. I like the looks and talks I get when I stop after pushing the bike and mostly myself to the limits and most can not believe the bike does what is does and can do…
I am hoping that this Tuesday/Wednesday I get it back and no issues with new brakes and ride off into the sunset take the drone out with me and get awesome recorded views…
Fingers crossed and slap my hands together and pray….

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
423 Posts
....However remember about a year back before the recall my rear brakes failed and there was no explanation from Yamaha as to why other than the fluid were 2 years old and per Yamaha service manual the fluids needed to be changed and could be the reason of the failure......
Not to dredge up old, bad memories, but what was your rear brake failure symptom(s), i.e did it lock up, or did it quit activating, or ???? Was there a rear brake recall?

The reason I ask is that a few months ago my rear pedal felt "stiff", i.e.it didn't seem to be moving as much as I thought was normal and it seemed I was having to push it harder than normal to slow down. It wasn't horrible, just off a bit, but before I got around to pulling the saddle bag and taking a look at the disc caliper it started feeling "normal" again. I'm pretty sure I didn't just get used to it, so I think something was wonky for a few rides/weeks but seems to have sorted itself out. I need to replace my rear tire this week (less than 8k on this Bridgestone......yuck) so I will take a good long at the rear brake system when I get the wheel off. Not sure I will see anything as it has been fine for a good while now.

I think I have just a few more miles on the bike as you, so I guess I better take a good look at the pads. I tend to coast as much as I can when stopping and I usually don't ride as hard as you, but then I'm often 2 up and I'm sure that presents some extra load on the brakes.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Not to dredge up old, bad memories, but what was your rear brake failure symptom(s), i.e did it lock up, or did it quit activating, or ???? Was there a rear brake recall?

The reason I ask is that a few months ago my rear pedal felt "stiff", i.e.it didn't seem to be moving as much as I thought was normal and it seemed I was having to push it harder than normal to slow down. It wasn't horrible, just off a bit, but before I got around to pulling the saddle bag and taking a look at the disc caliper it started feeling "normal" again. I'm pretty sure I didn't just get used to it, so I think something was wonky for a few rides/weeks but seems to have sorted itself out. I need to replace my rear tire this week (less than 8k on this Bridgestone......yuck) so I will take a good long at the rear brake system when I get the wheel off. Not sure I will see anything as it has been fine for a good while now.

I think I have just a few more miles on the bike as you, so I guess I better take a good look at the pads. I tend to coast as much as I can when stopping and I usually don't ride as hard as you, but then I'm often 2 up and I'm sure that presents some extra load on the brakes.
Hey @AlanRides my issue was similar to brake fad, the pedal seemed as it was not connected to anything, there was no pressure and no warning. came into a downhill sharp curve and went to apply some rear brake and nothing. I had just prior to this stopped for a over an hour started out and about 5 to 7 minutes in the rear brakes were gone, however shortly after the brakes were back to normal.
Took it to the shop and they couldn’t find any issues, no overheat or other concerns so they replaced the fluids per maintenance schedule.
There was a post for a rear brake issue that pertained to this that another forum mentioned that could have been related to my issue. I just hope it never happens again. I don’t ride that same road in that direction because of this but I do in the opposite direction….

·
Registered
Star Eluder
309 Posts

Wait what? I had the same thing happen to me and thought I was imagining things...... That is very strange that 2 of us have had the same thing happen.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Wait what? I had the same thing happen to me and thought I was imagining things...... That is very strange that 2 of us have had the same thing happen.

I now wonder if it is the brake actuation differentiator valve....that controls both the front and rear brakes being activated with the use of the front brake lever...or rear brake pedal, actuating the front brake...

·
Registered
Star Eluder
309 Posts
I now wonder if it is the brake actuation differentiator valve....that controls both the front and rear brakes being activated with the use of the front brake lever...or rear brake pedal, actuating the front brake...
Just a little more info. It seemed to make no difference if I tried to use the front break first or rear. I ended up not using my back break much for a few days and it went away. I chalked it up to new boots making the break feel different and moved on.

I had an old Honda nighthawk that had a issue with the front break that felt the same but that one it was that it was building up break pressure as you road and eventually you had to pull over and bleed out pressure to keep going. Checked the Eluder and there wasn't extra heat or pressure when it was happening so I think you matu be on the right track with the valve idea. I wonder if that is electronically controlled and the computer was just being dumb?

361 - 380 of 402 Posts