Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
381 - 400 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Just a little more info. It seemed to make no difference if I tried to use the front break first or rear. I ended up not using my back break much for a few days and it went away. I chalked it up to new boots making the break feel different and moved on.

I had an old Honda nighthawk that had a issue with the front break that felt the same but that one it was that it was building up break pressure as you road and eventually you had to pull over and bleed out pressure to keep going. Checked the Eluder and there wasn't extra heat or pressure when it was happening so I think you matu be on the right track with the valve idea. I wonder if that is electronically controlled and the computer was just being dumb?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
Vandy, I think (well hope...could be computer controlled $$$$!) that it might just be a pressure balancer, with a mitigated smaller valve port to a slower pressure build up, to the front calipers. If it is computer controlled, and very much could be on this bike...it's just another thing like everything else today...too dependent on electronics...your fridge, your microwave, your stove, your, your, your...that when that circuit board borks...open the wallet, grab the C.C. and make calls... Off topic, but that is the reason that my wife and I have a 22 year old Frigidaire refrigerator, that has no BlueTooth, or circuit boards to control the ice maker, or water dispenser other than the two wire water inlet valve open/close solenoid that has been around for 30 years. We just don't want to replace our non-chipped fridge and stove, for what's out there today...and on THOSE forums...constant wailing of failed operation...boards burning out...etc. Man, I just went on a total off topic rant...sorry folks...so, hope our bikes at least on this matter...ghost pressure either at the front or rear brake pads...is at least a manual orifice driven valve problem...much cheaper and easier to diagnose...

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
423 Posts
.....The shop told me the rear really needed to be replaced and don’t have more that 70 miles left on them.....
Just an FYI, here's a pic of my rear pads with just a tad under 38k on them. Obviously our roads and riding styles are different, so this isn't exactly apples to apples. FWIW.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
So latest update on the fix and whining/humming noise.
The new belt and rear pulley didn’t resolve the issue.
The new brakes didn’t resolve the issue.
I still have the whining/humming noise.
The shop manager did mentioned that he believes it is the output shaft bearing.
So he is going to put a call into Yamaha corp and ask to send out a TSM (I am guessing a technical service manager) to look at the bike before throwing more parts at it at mine and their expense…
I asked the service manager if they had a Dyno to strap the bike down and run it so we/them can walk around the bike to try and troubleshoot the noise. So the shop manager does have one but the idea was good and he races cars and may have access to one. He is also going to ask Yamaha corp if they have one or access to one and go this route to troubleshoot the noise.
If not I have access to one and I could but this won’t help get the bike repaired under warranty.

So I can pick the bike up and ride it until the TSM shows up and/or the next option or failure.
Hopefully not failure.

So question: what is the affect of a failed output shaft/ output shaft bearing moving at any speed. Is this a fly thru the windshield kind of an event or a no power type of a issue..
To me this sounds like a rear wheel lockup and if the belt doesn’t snap or something break off, I will be kissing the inside of the windshield.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
The bearing should start squeeling before it fails. If you look back at the beginning of this I thought when this whole humming rear end thing was the output shaft , but Yamaha said no on the first one . I really hope it turns out that they find out for sure either way.
If I remember right I even posted the Partzilla number for that bearing

(Post #148 is where I posted the parts I think it is)

Reactions: GARider

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #386 ·
So he is going to put a call into Yamaha corp and ask to send out a TSM (I am guessing a technical service manager) to look at the bike before throwing more parts at it at mine and their expense…
I asked the service manager if they had a Dyno to strap the bike down and run it so we/them can walk around the bike to try and troubleshoot the noise. So the shop manager does have one but the idea was good and he races cars and may have access to one. He is also going to ask Yamaha corp if they have one or access to one and go this route to troubleshoot the noise.
If not I have access to one and I could but this won’t help get the bike repaired under warranty.

So I can pick the bike up and ride it until the TSM shows up and/or the next option or failure.
Hopefully not failure.

So question: what is the affect of a failed output shaft/ output shaft bearing moving at any speed. Is this a fly thru the windshield kind of an event or a no power type of a issue..
To me this sounds like a rear wheel lockup and if the belt doesn’t snap or something break off, I will be kissing the inside of the windshield.
I would ride mine until failure but I am always two up and a long way from home, not to mention in the middle of nowhere. I believe it will fail like most wheel bearing by gradually getting worse and louder but being a bike it was something I didn’t want to chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
13,184 Posts
Looking at the bearing, it's a ball bearing. Ball bearings don't normally "weld" themselves together causing total lockup. I would be more concerned about either blowing or melting the seal letting oil out and dropping infront of rear tire. I would think if you watch for any signs of oil drippings you should be ok. Now when that bearing does totally go out I'm sure it will eat the output shaft pretty bad. But that would be theirs to fix. Have you thought about getting a letter from them that the bike is safe to ride with a known issue?

Reactions: GARider

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
423 Posts
...The new belt and rear pulley didn’t resolve the issue.
The new brakes didn’t resolve the issue.....
Unfortunately, I don't think any of us following this thread thought any of those "cures" would do anything other than waste time and money.
I'm holding out hope the "TSM" will make the right call and require it be fixed before leaving you on the side of the road. They fixed ChiefGunner's and then didn't fix @Bucfan11's so maybe you'll land on the right side on this one. 🤞

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Looking at the bearing, it's a ball bearing. Ball bearings don't normally "weld" themselves together causing total lockup. I would be more concerned about either blowing or melting the seal letting oil out and dropping infront of rear tire. I would think if you watch for any signs of oil drippings you should be ok. Now when that bearing does totally go out I'm sure it will eat the output shaft pretty bad. But that would be theirs to fix. Have you thought about getting a letter from them that the bike is safe to ride with a known issue?
Hey Les thanks. I have asked before about a letter of something noted in my account or paper work that they say it is ok and safe to drive and that I mentioned that I feel unsafe to drive it.
I didn’t receive any letter or email and not sure if the account is noted.
The shop manager is stating that it is safe to drive and he has called Yamaha corp as well and they feel that this is not any major issue.
Also I wanted to get the bike out of the shop and in my hands until new parts from the damage come in.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input.
Currently the sound is still the same when I dropped it back off. I will know more later today if the sound is the same after the fix they were hoping would work.
So I guess I will ride it until I hear, see, smell or feel something more getting odd.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Did anyone ever check the belt tension? That is the only reason I can think of besides a manufacturing defect that this bearing would be failing already unless the belt was to tight.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Did anyone ever check the belt tension? That is the only reason I can think of besides a manufacturing defect that this bearing would be failing already unless the belt was to tight.
Yes however they check based on spec which I think is too tight but they won’t back off.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts

Hopefully not failure.

Gar...they have a special tool, a wand with a very sensitive contact-microphone that can be inserted into spaces, or the tip put against parts to 'x-ray' acoustically sounds that should not be there. Why is Yamaha mucking around? Yes,..send a company tech (like they did with us, in our 2021 electronic retrofit) and get this put to bed. What the heck is WRONG with Yamaha U.S.A. as a motorcycle company? I wonder how Kawasaki or Honda would respond to your bike's issues....I wonder... This is such B.S.! Yamaha...FIX THE BIKE...your most expensive motorcycle you produce...fix it!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts

Hopefully not failure.

Myself, Gar...I would not ride the bike at all...if they tell you to run until failure...and yes...if the tranny (any part that rotates (gears, bearings slip races...) seizes or disintegrates, you could be over those bars, hanging up upon a tree branch, or multi colored paste, upon the road. If Yamaha does not want to fix this...I'd seek a lawyer. You can't sell the bike like this...as you'd put risk to the next unsuspecting person, and only a creep, would try that route. You, are not a creep... That this is not being reasonably dealt with is simply disgusting. 'Reasonably' to my definition, is to taking care of the owner and purchaser, (with EXPEIDENCY!) and not Yamaha's bank account and dragging their feet, with back and forth dialog with the dealership.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
So I picked up the bike today and the sounds seems different. Meaning it is not as loud and seems to be at a lower and higher speed from before.
Anyway I need to take it out on the roads I ride and where I know the sound is however I should have heard it at the same speeds before but since the rear pulley and belt was changed the sound has moved to higher and lower speeds but I really need to take it out where I have open road.
So another question the shop replaced the rear pads but they failed to add the shims. Should I complain or are shims with new copper back brakes pads necessary.
Here is a picture of my rear brakes at 26k
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Alloy wheel Tire
Hand Finger Bicycle part Bumper Auto part

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input.
Currently the sound is still the same when I dropped it back off. I will know more later today if the sound is the same after the fix they were hoping would work.
So I guess I will ride it until I hear, see, smell or feel something more getting odd.
Gar...I would not...
Joe.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Thanks YPE. However I may be that creep, sorry.
I asked again tonight and the shop manager stated the same thing that there is no concern.
So I have it here and I will ride it.
I really like this bike and do like my shop so I am still hoping for the best.
They did like my dyno idea and that may help.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Thanks YPE. However I may be that creep, sorry.
I asked again tonight and the shop manager stated the same thing that there is no concern.
So I have it here and I will ride it.
I really like this bike and do like my shop so I am still hoping for the best.
They did like my dyno idea and that may help.
Noted, Gar, and the best of luck on all fronts!
Joe

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #400 ·
Update on mine... It's never ending.

"As you are aware, your complaint was filed with the Court. However, because of high volume, and the recent holiday season, it has been taking our process server a little longer than usual to get the complaints served."

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

381 - 400 of 402 Posts