Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
441 - 460 of 492 Posts

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra (totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 (current)
14,146 Posts
But I pick on him more, so I would be first in line.

• Haha
Reactions: Brad_G

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
I grew up 7 miles from Arrowhead, started going to their games in 1963.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #451 ·
Not necessarily. This was Yamaha's response to Buc's Petition in court. There are still proceedings to go through and a judicial decision, either by the Judge, the Jury or both.

In the meantime Bucfan, Yamaha says ride it, ride it, unless you are afraid of a lock-up that might cause you to go down. I definitely would not risk injury to myself (any more than normal), but injury to the bike on Yamaha's dime...

I'm curious if the dealers in question may have hurt the initial warranty request by saying the bearing is "going bad?" The bearing is bad. The bearing does not have to cause a catastrophic failure to be bad. the bad bearing should be replaced.

Daniel
Hey Dan, sorry I missed this post. Wife and I ride 2 up a lot. We also take long trips a few times a year. Ahter a year or so with no bike I bought a 21 Wing so we could ride again. I do think the bearing may last for thousands of miles or maybe ony 100. I didn't want to take the chance with my or mainly her safety even if the chances are we would just be on the side of the road.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Well I got my bike back from the shop yesterday and of course not without a few issues…
Did I mention they drop my bike off the lift. Well they only want to replace the items that they think are their responsibility which however are really not the items that need replacing. Hopefully I will win this battle..now on to the second reason it went in. This was for the oil light issue - coming on faint and going out. Well that part came in and the replacement, for now, seems to be working.
Now for the starter replacement, the inconsiderate and lack of detail and lack of being proud of their work shows. I now either have a leak or they allowed a lot of oil from the oil cooler all over the front lower part of the cooler and engine, the vent tubes and wires are left outside of the fairing and lowers and flapping in the breeze.
They never addressed the noise while it was in the shop for 2 months based on a few different things they where going to try and look at….again “no going the extra mile”….. Unfortunately for me is that they cater to the rich and famous before they even think about helping the low man on the ladder….
So, bike is back in my possession, still have the whining/humming noise, fixed the oil light due to the fault oil pressure sensor and now I just need to ride it….
I need to take a bunch on short rides, increase the distance and speed over the next few weeks to get my comfort and confidence back with the bike then back to riding it like a rented mule.….

·
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra (totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 (current)
14,146 Posts
Glad you got it back. Bummer it's not fixed right. Seems customer service has failed in many ways. Hopefully they complete the rest of repairs correctly. Thanks for updating us.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I keep thinking I want to get another new bike but I just don’t see any of the dealers taking care of the bike or really the bike not having an issue seems like most new bike have some kind of issue or known issue. So I will keep mine until the cost or the repairs are just not worth it or I just can not get parts….
So we will see what the next few months or next year brings…….
I hope to get this noise/hum/whine resolved but really hoping it don’t leave me stranded…..

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Well since I had the bike back for a few weeks I haven’t been able to ride much, just a few short trips to the store so nothing longer than 20 minutes. However this past Saturday I was able to get a good 80 mile ride in to test all the work done on the bike and be sure there are no issues before heading up to the north Georgia mountains. I certainly don’t want anything going wrong up there.
So while on this ride I had the a new sound start and it has gotten so loud that it drowns out the engine and mufflers when normally you hear nothing but engine and muffler.
So the whining is now something that failing and coming to a grinding halt. No pun intended.
I am thinking it is a wheel bearing that has started to fail.
So this is what’s odd.
There no vibration
There is no wheel hop.
There is no abrupt stop when coasting.
There is no change in sound when applying the brakes.
There is no change in sound when weaving back and forth or taken a turn to the right or left.
There is no sound that I can hear any higher speeds above 50 mph but from 28 mph to coasting or applying the brakes to a stop the sound of something grinding is loud.
I think the sound is towards the back tire but it is so loud that it is difficult to pin point where the sound is coming from.
I have an appointment for next Thursday but until then maybe have a listen and tell me what you hear and think.

·
14,146 Posts
Definitely got louder when you put camera in back. Could you safely put camera between saddle bag and bike pointing down someway? Maybe a little toward rear, then maybe a little toward the front. It might help narrow down where noise is coming from. Just an idea.

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
691 Posts
If I remember this saga correctly, you got soaked for a new belt and rear pulley, but wondering if the belt is adjusted correctly. At one point my belt was too tight and it made some extra noise, though not as much as yours. When I loosened the belt to 10mm at 10 pounds (rear wheel off the ground) it now runs quiet at most speeds. Mine still has a whine or howl when slowing down and it goes through the 30 to 20 mph range, but nothing like yours. I don't hear much, if any, belt noise on acceleration.

My other guess is that we're all witnessing the sound of an output shaft bearing in the throes of death, as has been suspected for some months now by everyone but Yamaha. I take it they never did the roll it down the hill without the belt installed test? I think that would be so informative.....

BTW, I wish I could keep the front of my engine/oil cooler area that clean. Mine looks like a dirt devil threw up all over it....and that's after I have washed it..........o_O

Best of luck and stay safe!

Reactions: lesblank

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Definitely got louder when you put camera in back. Could you safely put camera between saddle bag and bike pointing down someway? Maybe a little toward rear, then maybe a little toward the front. It might help narrow down where noise is coming from. Just an idea.
Thanks Les yes I could and that was the plan but at this point I am hesitant to take it out again until I ride it over to the shop. I will look for a good central location and I will also try to use the GoPro so I can put two cameras on it. I think the last time I did this I had the camera ride near the front pulley. So I will only get one more shot at this Wednesday night when I drop the bike off…..
I really hope they can figure this out now….

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
If I remember this saga correctly, you got soaked for a new belt and rear pulley, but wondering if the belt is adjusted correctly. At one point my belt was too tight and it made some extra noise, though not as much as yours. When I loosened the belt to 10mm at 10 pounds (rear wheel off the ground) it now runs quiet at most speeds. Mine still has a whine or howl when slowing down and it goes through the 30 to 20 mph range, but nothing like yours. I don't hear much, if any, belt noise on acceleration.

My other guess is that we're all witnessing the sound of an output shaft bearing in the throes of death, as has been suspected for some months now by everyone but Yamaha. I take it they never did the roll it down the hill without the belt installed test? I think that would be so informative.....

BTW, I wish I could keep the front of my engine/oil cooler area that clean. Mine looks like a dirt devil threw up all over it....and that's after I have washed it..........o_O

Best of luck and stay safe!
Thanks Alan, you remembered correctly they did soak me for every penny and during this cause a few thousand dollars worth of damage, nice of them and Yamaha to treat their owners this way….
Anyway I really had the same thought as you on the belt. I remember reading your post or someone else’s about the manual tension for the belt is not right and could be alittle loose. I had this fight with them before and they wouldn’t budge, I hate it when they throw the book at me, I was hoping that someone with experience would know better and suggest or make adjustments. I think that since they tighten the belt so much that it caused to much pressure on the front pulley which may be the cause of my issue….
So I will suggest this again to loosing the belt because yesterday I did a quick manual check and I can bearly move the belt it is guitar string tight.
Also on a normal day there is just regular belt whine when everything is running as it should, I would really like to get back to that.
And no they never took the bike to a dayno rollers or roll it down a hill without the belt.
I have another good video where I pull the clutch in and shut the engine off and the sound it intense so I am hoping to do that this Wednesday when it goes to the shop….
Yes I like to keep my bike very clean, I am the one that will take anything I can off just to clean where you can’t see, the side bins, the seat and side covers however not ever time I wash it, I figure the number of times I do wash it it really should be that dirty….
I am hoping that what ever this is they figure it out and can get the parts in a timely manner, no waiting 2 months for a part hoping that is the fix….
I still think the oil pressure switch has something to do with if it turns out to be the output shaft bearing. If not this could be a wheel bearing but it just doesnt act like a failed bearing or atleast what I would think a failed bearing should act like when failing, I would think it would cause the bike not to roll so well and have some type of vibration.

441 - 460 of 492 Posts