Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
461 - 480 of 492 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I am thinking something in the drive line. If it was a wheel bearing I would think it would change pitch when leaning left or right. I did not hear a change in pitch when you moved the camera. Have you tried going downhill in neutral killing the engine and just coasting? That would remove the influence of torque on the noise. I would think the torque would be reduced at lower speeds thus making the noise go away. But I am fairly confident that your noise is in the drive line. Good Luck!

Reactions: torinogt

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
@Bucfan11 I believe you are right, I just hope they get this right without costing me more money.
Really hoping that all this will be covered under the warranty! I am already quite a lot of coin into this troubleshooting at my expense.
The last time I spoke to the dealer and Yamaha corp they stated that the clutch and/or clutch basket will be the next try at my expense but again sure hoping with this new louder noise they can find the source and replace under the warranty.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #465 ·
@Bucfan11 I believe you are right, I just hope they get this right without costing me more money.
Really hoping that all this will be covered under the warranty! I am already quite a lot of coin into this troubleshooting at my expense.
The last time I spoke to the dealer and Yamaha corp they stated that the clutch and/or clutch basket will be the next try at my expense but again sure hoping with this new louder noise they can find the source and replace under the warranty.
Really makes me mad the way Yamaha is doing this. They try to make you go broke or give up to avoid honoring warranty. Be sure to KEEP ALL RECORDS as I believe I know where this will eventually end. You can ask for all money you paid to be refunded. Contact a warranty lawyer from the state of purchase.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Thanks @Bucfan11 Agree, I thought the same thing, it has become a sad sad company.
If they say they are replacing the clutch and or clutch basket then I will have to give them alittle resistance then maybe pay with the intention that if this doesn’t fix it I am not paying or would like to be refunded. Then I think after the front pulley (didnt pay for that) the belt, the rear pulley and clutch/clutch basket, the next step is the output shaft bearing. I read on the web that this was the steps that someone had already went thru, that now I am going thru.
Anyway I really hope I can just get this fixed or somewhat fix to be not noticeable and maybe trade it in or sell it and be done with bike ownership and just rent one of the Indian motorcycles.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Everyone here is the latest on my SVTC.
As mentioned above I had to bring the bike right back in for service shortly after getting it back after the 2 1/2 month wait on the oil pressure switch.
Well after many calls to the shop to ask for a status it was always a reason that they couldn’t get to it so I was forced to speak to the GM…long story short I received a call from the manager stating the same reasons, blah blah blah…..however he agreed he will make sure that someone will look at it….I told him I didn’t want just anyone but the right person. Well I received a call from them yesterday and they stated that the grinding noise is very prominent. So this is what the shop tells me.
They are not sure what the sound is from….
I asked if the bike is safe to ride and the manager and lead tech stated the bike is unsafe to ride and the tech stated he was not comfortable riding that again. I was told the bike is unsafe and not roadworthy.…what.. now what….yikes..
The lead tech will have time on Tuesday or Wednesday to look at what he can.
What are my option if they can’t figure this out. The bike is still under warranty, not sure if the humming/whining noise is gone yet because of this new louder sound so again I am hoping that the hum/whine became this grinding noise and this all gets fixed.
Another question can a wheel bearing cause this much noise without any other side effect.
my past experience with wheel bearing failure was that there would be vibration, slowness, excessive heat or just not roll right.
So once again praying and fingers crossed that they can figure this out and get the parts to fix it……

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I hope you have some documentation noting comm efforts/ responses etc. Sounds like you are headed towards some sort of legal action. I would expect wheel bearing failure would have some sort of wobble associated with it, especially at low speed. I would also think it would get louder while cornering. Hope you and buc fan get this resolved soon. I know it is risky enough out on the road with distracted drivers and such but having a bike underneath you with a undiscovered noise has to be nerve rattling. Constant wonder...Is this the day it has a hard failure? Good luck!

Reactions: GARider

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Thanks Rob.
I have one more year with the warranty, maybe longer if Yamaha extents the YES for an additional year, provided it doesn’t continue to cost me to fix….
Anyway I have year or so to decide what bike I will get next unless they cant fix this one…..in which case it will be sooner…

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
690 Posts
....Another question can a wheel bearing cause this much noise without any other side effect.
my past experience with wheel bearing failure was that there would be vibration, slowness, excessive heat or just not roll right.
So once again praying and fingers crossed that they can figure this out and get the parts to fix it……
Troubleshooting from 750 miles away, I (hope/think) the final drive bearing finally has gone to complete failure (not that it wasn't before). Like @Redbird58 says, I don't think a wheel bearing would make that much racket without causing all sorts of collateral symptoms. I've wrecked a couple of wheel bearings on my cars and it was pretty obvious at time it was a wheel bearing causing me a problem.

Unfortunately, there's no telling how long the dealership and Yamaha can drag this out. Hopefully they will address it with some sort of urgency. 🤞

As much as I've grown to like mine, every time I fire it up there's that little nagging feeling: "is today the day it goes kablooie?" And the Indian I'm considering to be a possible replacement will easily cost at least 50% more than I paid for the SVTC. (And it isn't as good looking a bike.) Ouch.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Thanks @AlanRides. That is and has been my feelings as well. When and where is the next time. I too was looking at Indian and liked the new pursuit, wasn’t liking the name but looked good. However the price and smaller motor was a tough one to overcome. So I went to the dealer and here they rent any of their bikes so I decided to rent the pursuit but realized I really didn’t like it and wasn’t that impressed with it especially for the money. So looking at the road master was the next best bike and about the same price as the pursuit.
so now I am thinking either Harley or back to the voyager.
Just really hoping that this bike gets fixed and have time in the saddle to decide.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #475 ·
Troubleshooting from 750 miles away, I (hope/think) the final drive bearing finally has gone to complete failure (not that it wasn't before). Like @Redbird58 says, I don't think a wheel bearing would make that much racket without causing all sorts of collateral symptoms. I've wrecked a couple of wheel bearings on my cars and it was pretty obvious at time it was a wheel bearing causing me a problem.

Unfortunately, there's no telling how long the dealership and Yamaha can drag this out. Hopefully they will address it with some sort of urgency.

As much as I've grown to like mine, every time I fire it up there's that little nagging feeling: "is today the day it goes kablooie?" And the Indian I'm considering to be a possible replacement will easily cost at least 50% more than I paid for the SVTC. (And it isn't as good looking a bike.) Ouch.
I don't blame you for feeling that way. Everytime I fired mine up I wondered if today was the day I had issues. My day arrived. With the history of this model even if Yamaha replaced my engine with a new one, I would still feel that way. It's even carried over to the new Wing.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Well I had to call the dealer again for an update.
They never seem to call me back when they say they will. However they had an update.
Just like a few others I have read they are on to the next item that was suggested by these same folks. So after I mentioned my issue I was told that they will replace the front pulley, then wash the belt, then replace the belt, then replace the rear pulley and now as the other folks said the next thing will be the clutch, well won’t you know it that is the update I got today. They stated that after looking at the bike again they determined that the same appears to be coming from the clutch area and we need to take that apart to investigate further. So I am guessing that it will need to be replaced at my cost also what the others mentioned.
Mind you I had to pay for the belt and rear pulley.
Not sure why I need to pay for a bike that is under warranty and they can’t or won’t fix the actual problem.
When I started to go thru this mess I said to the manager I bet the next think you tell me is the clutch…..better not be at my cost. You already owe me for the belt and rear pulley and they never gave me the old pulley.
Well they are suppose to call me back tomorrow with an update.
Oh ya I have never had to replace a clutch on any of my bikes….especially at 24k miles on it.
My other bike had way more miles and wear and tear on them…
Anyway done venting…until tomorrow. I hope.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
This may sound like a stupid question at this point, but what does the warranty pay for if the repair is coming out of your pocket?

• Angry

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
690 Posts
This may sound like a stupid question at this point, but what does the warranty pay for if the repair is coming out of your pocket?
The warranty doesn't cover what Yamaha considers "normal" wear and tear, i.e. brake pads, clutch discs, light bulbs, drive belts and apparently drive pulleys (!?!?!?!?). Not sure how drive pulleys got to be "normal wear and tear:", but that's what they say.

That being said, internal engine/transmission parts are supposed to be covered, unless they can figure out a way to blame any failures on "incorrect" oil changes or some other BS. Not sure what they would say about me using Rotella oil and not their high priced Yamalube. (If the subject comes up, I won't tell them if you don't......:cool:)

It's ridiculous the parts they've thrown at @GARider's bike, just hoping something would work. And, apparently, when this week's guess doesn't work out, they just leave the new stuff on and shotgun some more parts. Not sure if that is on the dealer or Yamaha, but is sucks no matter what.

• Angry

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Thanks @Jspree and @AlanRides. It is upsetting to say the least.
I am sure after this go around the output shaft bearing will ne next. I really hope not but also hoping my dealer and Yamaha corp listen to what I have been telling them that it is the output shaft bearing. It might not be but the parts they have been throwing at it and the cost it cause me is freakin crazy.
Not sure if Yamaha corp is telling my dealer to do this and making them look incompetent or if my dealer is actually incompetent.

461 - 480 of 492 Posts