Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
481 - 500 of 502 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
@GARider it would be of value if you could list the cost you have experienced with this issue broken down by parts and labor. Or just photo's of the invoices you are paying with your info blocked out. I also do not understand why they would need to replace the entire clutch? The clutch bearing itself is only $15 and surely not everything in the clutch has failed. Clarity on each of these repair steps and why they are doing them would be great. I mean if they are having you replace the drive pulley and drive belt and it does not fix the issue are they reimbursing you as yours were clearly not bad or failing.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #482 ·
Thanks @Jspree and @AlanRides. It is upsetting to say the least.
I am sure after this go around the output shaft bearing will ne next. I really hope not but also hoping my dealer and Yamaha corp listen to what I have been telling them that it is the output shaft bearing. It might not be but the parts they have been throwing at it and the cost it cause me is freakin crazy.
Not sure if Yamaha corp is telling my dealer to do this and making them look incompetent or if my dealer is actually incompetent.
After the first couple of months I only talked with Yamaha. They were the ones who had me replace a tire. belt, pulley and some washers. They were the ones who said ride it until there is a catastrophic failure. I know this is a Yamaha forum but be warned, evidently todays Yamaha is not the same as yesterdays. I would not buy anything that company produces.

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
820 Posts
After the first couple of months I only talked with Yamaha. They were the ones who had me replace a tire. belt, pulley and some washers. They were the ones who said ride it until there is a catastrophic failure. I know this is a Yamaha forum but be warned, evidently todays Yamaha is not the same as yesterdays. I would not buy anything that company produces.
I know you have pending litigation, so maybe you can't or don't want to get into this right now, but as part of that litigation are you requesting a refund for the parts and labor they made you pay out of pocket as part of their troubleshooting? If I am being too nosy 👃, I'll understand....🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Jspree

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #484 ·
I know you have pending litigation, so maybe you can't or don't want to get into this right now, but as part of that litigation are you requesting a refund for the parts and labor they made you pay out of pocket as part of their troubleshooting? If I am being too nosy , I'll understand....
YES. It looks like @GARider will be in the same situation as me. I hope not but if so, save your receipts.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
@GARider it would be of value if you could list the cost you have experienced with this issue broken down by parts and labor. Or just photo's of the invoices you are paying with your info blocked out. I also do not understand why they would need to replace the entire clutch? The clutch bearing itself is only $15 and surely not everything in the clutch has failed. Clarity on each of these repair steps and why they are doing them would be great. I mean if they are having you replace the drive pulley and drive belt and it does not fix the issue are they reimbursing you as yours were clearly not bad or failing.
This is one of the issues I am discussing with my dealer and Yamaha corp.
One of the negotiations I asked for was a payment plan just in case it got to this level.
What got me was the cost of washing the belt….really washing the belt was a possible fix…have you seen my bike….still looks new….
I think next week I will have to pay to have the flux capacitor replaced…..hehehe…

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #487 ·
This is one of the issues I am discussing with my dealer and Yamaha corp.
One of the negotiations I asked for was a payment plan just in case it got to this level.
What got me was the cost of washing the belt….really washing the belt was a possible fix…have you seen my bike….still looks new….
I think next week I will have to pay to have the flux capacitor replaced…..hehehe…
I had forgotten that the second dealer charged me for “waxing” the belt the first dealer had put on and for adjusting it. They didn’t know it was a new belt. If I remember correctly that bill was $350.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
820 Posts
Im going to do some preventive maintenance and wash and wax my belt tonight. What a load of crap they are throwing down.
What do you use to wash and wax the belt, if you don't mind telling me. I'm noticing more belt whine recently (I'm around 42k) and wondering if I should be looking at doing the same. I don't think belt washing and waxing is mentioned in the service intervals, so I'm curious if its a performance or aesthetic thing.

But, looking for the belt maintenance interval I ran across a service manual "tip" that says I should replace the front and rear brake and clutch master cylinders, brake caliper internals and clutch release cylinder after 2 years?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? WTH??? I'm pretty disappointed they don't have any more confidence in their parts that they feel the need to replace major components so soon "just 'cause".

I'm getting to the point I'm surprised I haven't found a maintenance interval "tip" that says replace the whole bike in 4 years.o_O

• Haha
Reactions: GARider

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
If I can find the receipt I can tell you how much it cost for just the wash….
I think the is a dealer only belt wax that is use that regular folks can’t buy or see.
I think they mentioned that I need to replace my LED fluids and the flux capacitor because they are over due…….
I also did that 2 year brake maintenance mainly because that is when my rear break failed and they said it was most likely from the brake system at its 2 year mark….and that was several hundred dollars.

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
820 Posts
If I can find the receipt I can tell you how much it cost for just the wash….
I think the is a dealer only belt wax that is use that regular folks can’t buy or see.
I think they mentioned that I need to replace my LED fluids and the flux capacitor because they are over due…….
I also did that 2 year brake maintenance mainly because that is when my rear break failed and they said it was most likely from the brake system at its 2 year mark….and that was several hundred dollars.
Oh, no worries. I won't be paying a dealer to wash and/or wax my belt....or any other part. I was just curious what folks that did it themselves did it with.....doubtful if I would ever do it, but always good info to have in one's back pocket, just in case.....

I remember your rear brake pad wearing down to nothing well before mine are even half used up and I still can't imagine any hydraulic failure that would cause that without you feeling the rear wheel dragging all the time. But, you do ride way harder than I do, so I would buy maniac riding as a root cause.... ;)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #493 · (Edited)
Lawyer sent my "demand" to Yamaha council the last week of June. I should hear something in a week or so. I assume if we cant agree, it will go to discovery phase and then a trial. I'm hoping there is light at the end of this 2-year tunnel.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Incredible @Bucfan11, I found out from my dealer that my bike is not safe to drive and the possible issue is a failing output shaft bearing. Now waiting on what is next. I am wondering if this dealer will take this bike for a trade and I get either a new Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager or Honda Goldwing or one of their slightly used touring bikes for just about every manufacturer.
Good luck to you and your hopefully soon resolution.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #495 ·
Incredible @Bucfan11, I found out from my dealer that my bike is not safe to drive and the possible issue is a failing output shaft bearing. Now waiting on what is next. I am wondering if this dealer will take this bike for a trade and I get either a new Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager or Honda Goldwing or one of their slightly used touring bikes for just about every manufacturer.
Good luck to you and your hopefully soon resolution.
I had a Kawi Nomad…fantastic bike that was slightly underpowered for touring and now two Goldwings. All 3 far more reliable than Yamaha. I can’t speak for their warranty as I never used it on any bike. I truly hope you can get out from under yours and don’t end up doing the same thing I am. You have been down a while already…6 months?

·
Registered
1982 XV1100,1989 XT600Z Tenere, 2008 F800ST
2,112 Posts
Statistically, Yamaha have the least defects of all the brands, but the data say nothing about the severity of the defects. And the other Japanese brands are not far behind Yamaha. Regardless, whether you experience trouble or not with any vehicle is somewhat down to luck. Or lack thereof. I have owned 8 different brands, and neither have been faultless.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I had a Kawi Nomad…fantastic bike that was slightly underpowered for touring and now two Goldwings. All 3 far more reliable than Yamaha. I can’t speak for their warranty as I never used it on any bike. I truly hope you can get out from under yours and don’t end up doing the same thing I am. You have been down a while already…6 months?

Thanks @Bucfan11 actually it’s really been more closer to 10 months. Praying for this to get resolved soon and then decide what to do next. I was really hoping that I wouldn’t have another bike payment for awhile. So unless I get good money for this and a great deal on a new Kawasaki Vulcan voyager I will be looking at nearly nothing out of pocket….

·
Registered
117 Posts
It appears that about six individuals have had the drive bearing fail and approximately 18 that have had the cam lifter failure. Now these are just guesses from what I have read online. It would be good if we could get accurate numbers on these issues. Both seem to stem from a lack of lubrication due to oil pump failing (my guess). Other possibility which is highly likely is just poor-quality control for bearings and lifters allowing substandard products. It is just sad that Yamaha has decided to sacrifice their quality reputation and service reputation vice quickly addressing the issues that have occurred with the twin engine Star Ventures and Eluders.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
It appears that about six individuals have had the drive bearing fail and approximately 18 that have had the cam lifter failure. Now these are just guesses from what I have read online. It would be good if we could get accurate numbers on these issues. Both seem to stem from a lack of lubrication due to oil pump failing (my guess). Other possibility which is highly likely is just poor-quality control for bearings and lifters allowing substandard products. It is just sad that Yamaha has decided to sacrifice their quality reputation and service reputation vice quickly addressing the issues that have occurred with the twin engine Star Ventures and Eluders.
And unfortunately I had both issues. Failed Cams/lifter issue and now output bearing issue and everything else before recalls where issued…luck of the draw I guess…not Good and the only other bike that has ever failed me was my Yamaha dirt bike, never had another Yamaha until this one….I should have learned but it was love at first sight….

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #500 ·
And unfortunately I had both issues. Failed Cams/lifter issue and now output bearing issue and everything else before recalls where issued…luck of the draw I guess…not Good and the only other bike that has ever failed me was my Yamaha dirt bike, never had another Yamaha until this one….I should have learned but it was love at first sight….
My very first post on this forum was about a year before I bought the SVTC. I was nervous because out of all the bikes I had owned the only ones I ever had problems with were the 3 Yamahas I had owned (street 650, YZ125 and a Blaster) they all had major issues, but they were also used when I bought them. I gave in to the reputation of how great Yamaha's are plus it would be new. I should have listened to my life experiences.

481 - 500 of 502 Posts