Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
501 - 520 of 567 Posts

· Registered
2,263 Posts
Reaction score
My very first post on this forum was about a year before I bought the SVTC. I was nervous because out of all the bikes I had owned the only ones I ever had problems with were the 3 Yamahas I had owned (street 650, YZ125 and a Blaster) they all had major issues, but they were also used when I bought them. I gave in to the reputation of how great Yamaha's are plus it would be new. I should have listened to my life experiences.
@Bucfan11 same here, I should have traded when I had the engine issue. Oh well water under the bridge. I hope to get it back soon in what will seem great running order and hopefully be able to get something new…

· Registered
902 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #503 ·
25 months after this started it is now over…well almost.

For sale! 2018 SVTC with 34k miles. I believe it needs a $38 bearing. Yamaha said ride it!

$10k

I’ll post it on the for sale board amongst other places shortly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
'18 SVTC
1,160 Posts
Reaction score
25 months after this started it is now over…well almost.

For sale! 2018 SVTC with 34k miles. I believe it needs a $38 bearing. Yamaha said ride it!

$10k

I’ll post it on the for sale board amongst other places shortly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not sure what the correct response emoticon is, but I hope you can finally put this to bed and behind you....it's been a long, strange road, to say the least.

· Registered
2,263 Posts
Reaction score
I was going to post this after I picked her up but something tells me there is a connection.
So after 12 months to the day I will have mine back in hand. I am wondering why all of a sudden my is going to be fixed. Is it because yours has a resolution of some sort that now they can make a move on mine……
So yesterday I heard that they can start and should have it by the weekend.
My bike started to fail September 18th of 2021 and I posted the video here. This was the weekend that I met up with AlanRides for the star forum get together.
Now bucfan11 your post and my call….hummm.
So I am really hoping to have this fixed without any further issues and really hope that they can get everything back to it original state……

· Registered
902 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #506 ·
I was going to post this after I picked her up but something tells me there is a connection.
So after 12 months to the day I will have mine back in hand. I am wondering why all of a sudden my is going to be fixed. Is it because yours has a resolution of some sort that now they can make a move on mine……
So yesterday I heard that they can start and should have it by the weekend.
My bike started to fail September 18th of 2021 and I posted the video here. This was the weekend that I met up with AlanRides for the star forum get together.
Now bucfan11 your post and my call….hummm.
So I am really hoping to have this fixed without any further issues and really hope that they can get everything back to it original state……
Good luck with yours... I have my doubts. I am not too happy with my settlement but I suppose Yamaha isn't either.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

· Registered
902 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #508 ·
My final outcome:
Yamaha and I agreed to a settlement. I can tell you that I'll about break even except for the 2 years down. Yamaha would have also been better off if they would have just repaired it in the first place. It seems like the only one happy here will be the lawyer.

· Registered
2,263 Posts
Reaction score
@Bucfan11 well. Yes but only last Sunday and today on a loaner bike.
I am in the process of uploading to the daily ride. So since yours has been resolved it seems that my bike is moving forward and they issued me loaner.
Currently my bike is totally stripped down.
Very shocking to see, so I hope to hear something really soon.

· Registered
2,263 Posts
Reaction score
Latest update. My engine has been put back together!
Now just waiting on a rotor (part of the generator/stator) which they have finally were able to secure one out of Japan and a delivery date of of 10/20.
They had to replace many parts with in the motor mainly because the shop didnt think the current part was worth keeping, out of spec, worn more than they like, etc….Basically if they didn’t like it they removed it and replaced it…any replacement part that came in and they didn’t like it they rejected it and ordered another new….fingers crossed this is the final major fix/repair or any fix I will ever need!
If all goes well I should be back on my bike sometime around November maybe around the first week of November and I am really hoping to get out break her back in and then ride it like I normally do….

· Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,290 Posts
Reaction score
That's great news. Hopefully the weather holds out and you can get some much needed wind therapy.

Reactions: GARider

· Registered
142 Posts
Reaction score
@GARider That is sad. Just replacing parts that are suspect really does not help with identifying the primary cause of the failure. Nor does it help others to address this potential failure. What exactly caused your engine to fail? You had the cam/lifter failure and if they did not get all of the debris out that cold have led to the output shaft bearing failing. Or if your oil pump was failing and caused the cam/lifter failure first, followed by the output shaft bearing, did they replace the oil pump? Some have had a failing seal in the oil pump. Finding the primary cause of these failures is what is needed.

· Registered
902 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #517 ·
@GARider That is sad. Just replacing parts that are suspect really does not help with identifying the primary cause of the failure. Nor does it help others to address this potential failure. What exactly caused your engine to fail? You had the cam/lifter failure and if they did not get all of the debris out that cold have led to the output shaft bearing failing. Or if your oil pump was failing and caused the cam/lifter failure first, followed by the output shaft bearing, did they replace the oil pump? Some have had a failing seal in the oil pump. Finding the primary cause of these failures is what is needed.
I suspect Yamaha is very much aware of what causes this issue. Hopefully they stepped up and made sure the correct parts are replaced. I fear though all they want is to make it out of warranty.

· Registered
142 Posts
Reaction score
I suspect Yamaha is very much aware of what causes this issue. Hopefully they stepped up and made sure the correct parts are replaced. I fear though all they want is to make it out of warranty.
That is exactly the issue. There have been almost 20 bikes that have had the cam/lifter failure and a handful plus that have had the drive bearing failure, earlier on a few had total engines were replaced, yet not one person has been able to relate the cause of these failures with any confidence. Trying to determine exactly what parts have failed and why does not seem to be an item of interest for anyone, although several have been seeking an explanation. It has been almost impossible to get anyone who has had one of these failures to post an itemized list of parts replaced. This almost willing lack of interest in the cause of these failures baffles me. Please demand a complete itemized list of worn and damaged parts along with which parts were replaced. And find out the why? I have had my other bikes in the shop before for repairs and the mechanic has always explained in detail what the issue was and what caused the trouble, and I always ask to talk to the mechanic.

· Registered
2,263 Posts
Reaction score
I hope that I can get the part list. However my dealer did state that they believe the reason for my noise was the output shaft bearing…
I am with you @bartives i think the cams issue cause the premature failure of other parts but we may never know the actual cause of this issue. I guess I will know more once I get the bike back and there is no odd sound, hum or grinding noises.

· Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,290 Posts
Reaction score
The truth about the failures will probably never be known. The work is being done under warranty, dealers are not obligated to give a detailed list of parts repaired. Since there was never a legal recall done that would be public knowledge, we will never know. I'm sure some dealers will be more open than others to list everything replaced, most will not. It's a shame Yamaha has handled these issues so slowly and tarnish the best in class reliability rating they have had for years. With that being said, they still make an outstanding product.

Reactions: GARider
501 - 520 of 567 Posts