Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
521 - 540 of 567 Posts

· Super Moderator
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
1,497 Posts
Reaction score
The truth about the failures will probably never be known. The work is being done under warranty, dealers are not obligated to give a detailed list of parts repaired. Since there was never a legal recall done that would be public knowledge, we will never know. I'm sure some dealers will be more open than others to list everything replaced, most will not. It's a shame Yamaha has handled these issues so slowly and tarnish the best in class reliability rating they have had for years. With that being said, they still make an outstanding product.
This was kind of my thought as well. Another member here had some work done on the navigation system and while they were excited and wanted to talk about everything that was done Yamaha wouldn't permit it. It's unfortunate that everything has gone this way for @Bucfan11 and @GARider (and likely others we don't know about) as this really seemed a very good ride in my opinion. I'm not a person who is going to drop the kind of $$ that these machines command new as I don't ride enough. But it was one I really hoped to add a few years down the road. But given all that's happened I doubt I will. :confused:

· Registered
902 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #522 ·
This was kind of my thought as well. Another member here had some work done on the navigation system and while they were excited and wanted to talk about everything that was done Yamaha wouldn't permit it. It's unfortunate that everything has gone this way for @Bucfan11 and @GARider (and likely others we don't know about) as this really seemed a very good ride in my opinion. I'm not a person who is going to drop the kind of $$ that these machines command new as I don't ride enough. But it was one I really hoped to add a few years down the road. But given all that's happened I doubt I will. :confused:
My advice is to stay away from any new Yamaha. The Eluder and SVTC run away from! Oh, I have a SVTC for sale... CHEAP! :)

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
'18 SVTC
1,160 Posts
Reaction score
After all this engine work that is getting done to my bike I decided to buy magnetic drain plugs.
They should be here Friday and will drop them off at the shop Saturday in (hopeful) preparation of soon completion.
In the meantime I am enjoying put the extra miles on the loaner bike….:)
Ride Captain, ride. I think the service interval on the loaner's engine is 7500 miles, let's see if you can make an oil change necessary!
:yessmile:

· Registered
902 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #528 ·
Thanks @Brad_G, is has been a long discouraging process…
I am also hoping that Yamaha steps up and provides me with another year (atleast) of their YES warranty coverage.
They did NOT do that for me. They did say they would but they didn't put it in writing.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,263 Posts
Reaction score
Dropped off the magnetic drain plugs yesterday at the shop. Part that we are waiting on is still scheduled to be delivered on the 20th. However this is coming from Japan so it is unclear if the 20th means shipping from Japan or landing in the USA or at their warehouse. Either way I hope to know more on the 20th.

· Registered
2,263 Posts
Reaction score
Got a call from the dealer yesterday to tell me that the Tech is back there now putting the bike back together…..with no estimated time of completion.
However when I called back and talk to the manager he stated we come this far lets not rush it…here is what he said.
This is a big engine, the tech said this was the largest and heaviest motorcycle engine that he worked on especially within a tight space. The tech taped off everywhere the engine might band into
Once the motor is in the frame then all the connectorizing starts. And when that is done a final check over is done and the drain plugs go in and fill with oil. Start the bike let it sit and run, check it over and then take it for a long test ride….then we call you that the bike it ready.
So he really didn’t want to give a day when it will be completed but he stated let’s give the tech a few days to button everything up, check it over and take it for a few test rides (weather permitting) and it will be ready and we can deliver it to you….
So I will wait the few days and call again….but I said no on the delivery….I will pick the bike up at the shop. I want to ride the bike close to the shop in case it is not fixed correctly, something is not working, there are bumps and bruises on it that I may need to point out, so I want to be close by…
So, there is light at the end of this long uphill tunnel. Hopefully!!!!

· Registered
6,193 Posts
Reaction score
This is the scary part of that post......the Tech saying: I ain't never worked on a bike that big before, just give me some time I'll figure it out, maybe watch a couple youtube videos :oops:

• Angry
Reactions: GARider

· Registered
67 Posts
Reaction score
This is the scary part of that post......the Tech saying: I ain't never worked on a bike that big before, just give me some time I'll figure it out, maybe watch a couple youtube videos :oops:
I agree. The thing I liked about Burleson Powersports was that they were honest enough to say they had not seen that problem in the Star Venture, yet, and that they were talking to Yamaha about it. They found out that Yamaha did know about the product and when the warranty claim was made they paid it immediately and sent the parts to correct the issue. This mechanic should have been trained on the bike by Yamaha and if the problem is "new" then they the mechanic, or the supervisor, should be in contact with Yamaha to see what they know.

Daniel

· Registered
2,263 Posts
Reaction score
Well I got the call the bike was done and something I anticipated. The repair seems to have fixed the issue and this is the part I anticipated however the clutch is bad….
Really they just fixed that as part of the troubling shooting. I think something else is going on here.
I guess I sit and wait again…..

· Registered
902 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #536 ·
Well I got the call the bike was done and something I anticipated. The repair seems to have fixed the issue and this is the part I anticipated however the clutch is bad….
Really they just fixed that as part of the troubling shooting. I think something else is going on here.
I guess I sit and wait again…..
Geez, I hope they take care of you. I got my check in the mail yesterday. Over two years to settle with Yamaha. I will NEVER own anything that has been designed, built or supports Yamaha. Worst company I have ever had to deal with.

· Registered
2,263 Posts
Reaction score
@Bucfan11 I am hoping that they take care of me and I hope there are no parts that need to be ordered. I am hoping it is just an adjustment!
Well I not sure what to say about your settlement check other than sorry.
I want my ordeal to be over…

· Registered
2,263 Posts
Reaction score
Well I finally got the call from my dealer that the bike is ready!!!!!
But of course not without damage….however they did say that it is ready and running without issues or odd sounds.
I will be headed there sometime this morning to go pick up NightFury!
I am hoping that all is good.
They never gave me an answer on the clutch so I am thinking this was an adjustment rather a bad clutch..
Wish me and the bike luck…

· Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,290 Posts
Reaction score
We need an updated ride report as soon as you get a few miles on it. Be careful, seriously, it's been a while since you've been on it.

· Registered
2,263 Posts
Reaction score
Well initial ride report is that the bike seems like new again.
I have only one issue.
I think I fell in love with it again…..
Shop manager and mechanic said this was the most intense and second most expensive job they worked on in the 14 or so years they have been working there.

Les did you get word on your bike/trike.

Attachments

521 - 540 of 567 Posts