Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
541 - 560 of 567 Posts

· Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,290 Posts
Reaction score
Well initial ride report is that the bike seems like new again.
I have only one issue.
I think I fell in love with it again…..
Shop manager and mechanic said this was the most intense and second most expensive job they worked on in the 14 or so years they have been working there.

Les did you get word on your bike/trike.
That's great news. Are they recommending a normal new engine break in procedure?

They are getting mine back together. I'm still under the weather a little so they can take their time. I put the info here where conversation drifted to what was acceptable for a Certified bike with warranty. I look at your ordeal and then mine. Not much comparison, I'm getting new tranny installed less than 10 days of taking it in.

Reactions: GARider

· Premium Member
'18 SVTC
1,160 Posts
Reaction score
Did they give you a comprehensive parts replacement list and service items done? Assuming output shaft bearing was replaced, but you mentioned they found other parts out of spec during the repair process.

Congrats on getting it back!

· Registered
2,263 Posts
Reaction score
@lesblank, I didn’t know you were under the weather, sorry.
I hope you get the trike back soon.
At first he told me to ride the bike like I used to.
Then he remembered how I ride and the work that was done so he retracted his comment and said ya go easier for the first 1,000 miles.
The new magnetic drain plugs fit awesome.
The tech stated that he installed one in the part of the engine and the one under the tank.
The tech and manager both stated “them there are some of the best magnetic drain plugs we have seen.” “Awesome product”

@AlanRides, no parts list but the original issue with the output shaft bearing was part of the problem.
The latest noise was other internal parts.
I do know they honed the cylinders and upgraded the rings.
They place a gear shaft or some shaft and some type of gear along with a few other parts.
Also the shop manager didn’t have anything together yet and hasn’t gotten with Yamaha Corp. So I will ask if they can like they gave me when the engine blew the first time.

@Brad_G, I was so hoping too, that I would fall in love with the bike again. As soon as I took off I felt like I was never off it.
So I am currently having a drink and toasting to the bike!

I hope to put a few more miles on it this weekend to get a comfort level before I get back to riding it like I stoled it…..

Thanks everyone.
I will Update the post when the ride report.

· Registered
2,263 Posts
Reaction score
Well I washed the bike down really good last Saturday (11/12/2022) so not yesterday to get all the dirt, oil and grease off the engine and bike as well to see what shape the bike and engine was in and if there was anything I needed to point out to the shop and to see if there would be any oil leaks.
However since last Saturday, wash day, I haven’t been able to ride because the weather has been horrible and had plans to ride this weekend but again the weather was very cold.
So I decided to pull the bike out and warm it up and in the daylight inspect some the items that I noticed.
Well wouldn’t you know it there is an oil leak dripping from the bottom of the engine and the engine doesn’t look like they have it much care while working on it. I traced the oil back and it is coming from above.
I called the shop and they wanted pictures and from there I am noticing just too scrapes on the bottom of the engine.
I also noticed that they broke a piece off the engine case where the oil drain plug is.
The shop seems that this is normal.
I asked couldn’t you use a piece of carpet to put the motor on or put it on wood…
So question is this normal (see pictures) and what would be my next course of action.
Call Yamaha Corp, call the GM of the shop or something else?
I was expecting some incidentals but this just looks more like they didn’t take any care with it.
I hope they find the oil leak and I will touch up the bruises.
Automotive tire Gas Bumper Engineering Automotive wheel system
Gas Tints and shades Automotive tire Wood Metal
Automotive tire Bicycle part Tread Rim Bicycle tire
Hood Automotive tire Liquid Automotive lighting Tints and shades
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive mirror Motor vehicle
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive mirror Bumper

2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,290 Posts
Reaction score
That's a shame.

This is just me, that is totally unacceptable. I know you really love this bike, well when it was right. Can you still park it and walk away without looking back to it with a smile on you face? With you posting this I think not.

I would contact both the dealer in writing (email) and CC Yamaha corporate that this is not acceptable. I would also CC your state Attorney General. I know in Texas there's a consumer division that handles warranty work issues. The bike should have been returned to you with issues fixed and in at least the same cosmetic condition.

Is it time to get Yamaha to give you fair market value and move on? This has already been done, @Bucfan11, so you have an example to refer to.

I can only imagine the sadness you are feeling.

On a side note, you know I just had tranny, clutch and all engine side cases off for warranty work. Other than some extremely light wrench marks on inside of Allen head bolts, there not a single mark, and I'm picky. If you were to look at my bike you would never know the work was done. My cases weren't split, but taken down to that point. Engine work can be done without cosmetic damage.

Think of the last few engine rebuilds I've done.

From this:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Rim

To this:

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Car Vehicle

And this:

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive engine gasket Automotive tire

To this:

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Hood

I would really like to hear @Jaguartech and other techs opinions on this.

Reactions: Jspree and GARider

· Registered
2,263 Posts
Reaction score
@lesblank thanks for the reply. Yes I am very sad. I try to keep my property in the best possible condition or better.
I even made the loaner bike look better before I returned it.
I will wait until I hear back for the oil leak then ask the shop manager if this is acceptable and what he recommends.
I think they wouldn’t be able to fix the piece of metal missing from the drain plug unless they buy a new side case.
Not sure if there is another permanent fix.

15,290 Posts
Reaction score
Yea, the broken ear would concern me also. Question is rather or not it's purely cosmetic or did it crack around the drain plug area.

Reactions: GARider

· Registered
142 Posts
Reaction score
Definitely negligence on the shops part. The cheapest fix for the oil leak might be to wrap the drain plug threads in Teflon tape or use liquid Teflon. The correct fix is a new case. Appears to me that they drug the engine across the floor when installing, not proper.

· Premium Member
'18 SVTC
1,160 Posts
Reaction score
I'm posting what I think are the same drain plug(s), at least the forward one and part of the rear one. It sure looks like your forward drain plug isn't seating properly due to engine case damage, but it might just be photo angle and/or reflection. (Please excuse the mess under mine...and it looks like I might have a slow leak myself, but that is probably because I didn't change the crush washer at my last oil change about 20 miles ago. I'll have to clean it up and keep an eye on that.) Those horrendous tool marks on the drain bolt head were done by my local shop during a previous oil changes, I should probably replace that drain plug pretty soon as well. Quality/pride in workmanship is a rare thing these days, even at $125 an hour.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Wood Bumper

· Registered
2,263 Posts
Reaction score
Thanks @AlanRides for the picture of what mine looked like but cleaner. Mainly because I wash the bike every few weeks or if something causes the bike to get dirty.
After looking at the scrapes and your picture, I am thinking and hoping that what appears to be a broken piece is actually a scrap mark.

· Registered
99 Roadie
1,060 Posts
Reaction score
That's a shame.

This is just me, that is totally unacceptable. I know you really love this bike, well when it was right. Can you still park it and walk away without looking back to it with a smile on you face? With you posting this I think not.

I would contact both the dealer in writing (email) and CC Yamaha corporate that this is not acceptable. I would also CC your state Attorney General. I know in Texas there's a consumer division that handles warranty work issues. The bike should have been returned to you with issues fixed and in at least the same cosmetic condition.

Is it time to get Yamaha to give you fair market value and move on? This has already been done, @Bucfan11, so you have an example to refer to.

I can only imagine the sadness you are feeling.

On a side note, you know I just had tranny, clutch and all engine side cases off for warranty work. Other than some extremely light wrench marks on inside of Allen head bolts, there not a single mark, and I'm picky. If you were to look at my bike you would never know the work was done. My cases weren't split, but taken down to that point. Engine work can be done without cosmetic damage.

Think of the last few engine rebuilds I've done.

From this:

View attachment 122268

To this:

View attachment 122269

And this:

View attachment 122270

To this:

View attachment 122271

I would really like to hear @Jaguartech and other techs opinions on this.
There are procedures for proper repairs, failure to deal with trying to protect those surfaces tells me the tech was either lazy or ineinexperienced.

That looks more like they let it wallow around on a metal bench or a lift rather than installation damage.

Unacceptable either way, plain and simple.

The drain plug hole damage could be repaired by a competent welder, engine would probably have to be removed though.

Devcon "F" epoxy should work for that as well,
Just have to find the correct tap to put the threads back.

· Registered
2,263 Posts
Reaction score
Thanks @Jaguartech for the reply.
I not sure what to do next.
Have a sit down talk with the shop manager or with the GM or both.
Total carelessness on their part and what really gets me is that they never said a thing or painted it.
It is one of those can of worms thing, why bring it up, why say something maybe the customer won’t notice and if they do, see what they complain about.
Well I hope to hear about the oil leak either today or tomorrow. Once that is fixed I will bring up the engine issues when i pick it up.
The first thing I am going to ask, if the shop manager if he noticed the piece that might be missing around the drain plug.
I say might be missing because I am hoping that it is just additional scrapes…it was hard to tell from the pictures so I will have them look at it.

· Registered
2,263 Posts
Reaction score
Update: I received a call from the shop on Saturday and they believe that the oil leak is from above, from a bleed screw so they are replacing all, I guess there is 3 because they ordered 6 washers. Each screw takes a crush washer and a copper washer However they are on backorder but they were able to find enough from other dealers and should be in this coming Tuesday or Wednesday.
Again fingers crossed that all works out and no more issues or damage to the bike. (they still have the cracked saddle lid to replace and then address the scraps on the bottom of the engine)
This bike has cost Yamaha and the shop more than double what I paid for it.
Crazy to think that and even more crazy it cost more to fix the engine than it would have cost to replace the engine. SMH…..
So I hope to have an update on Thursday or Friday the latest with “I have the bike back”.

541 - 560 of 567 Posts