Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

61 - 80 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Ok, First off. If you have removed your rear wheel you are 5 or 6 minutes away from having the belt off, no way in h3ll is it worth almost $1000 to have dealer change it. I took measurements off of the old and new belt, could not find any difference. I installed the belt and went for a ride. The new belt did absolutely nothing, no difference at all. A complete waste of a $160 diagnostic fee and a $260 belt.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,529 Posts
That's a real bummer. I know it would be difficult but could you support your bike good enough with rear tire off the ground and run it thru the gears to attempt to replicate the noise? Or take your video camera that you have like mine and somehow secure it to a few different spots, listen to the video and attempt to narrow down exactly where the noice is coming from? Just a few ideas rather than just throwing parts at it.

Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Anyone have a Yamaha Customer Service email/phone number? I'd like to get corporate involved as I really don't trust the local dealership.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Ok, First off. If you have removed your rear wheel you are 5 or 6 minutes away from having the belt off, no way in h3ll is it worth almost $1000 to have dealer change it. I took measurements off of the old and new belt, could not find any difference. I installed the belt and went for a ride. The new belt did absolutely nothing, no difference at all. A complete waste of a $160 diagnostic fee and a $260 belt.
Holy Crap... sorry to hear and sucks that the dealer doesn’t even know.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Buc...not quite a total loss. You now have a spare belt, that can be taken with you packed on the bike...if ever your belt takes a stone cut...whatever...you are in a better position than many of us, that would be sitting there....so not a total loss. Also, you have gleaned new knowledge. Always a plus side to anything, Buc! You seem very adept with re and re, and holding a tool or three. You'll figure what is out... I'm sure of it. :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Called the shop today and was told warranty has been denied because of trailer hitch or car tire. I asked for that in writing, they said it was over the phone. I called Yamaha corporate and was told they have not denied anything because nothing had been submitted.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,819 Posts
Called the shop today and was told warranty has been denied because of trailer hitch or car tire. I asked for that in writing, they said it was over the phone. I called Yamaha corporate and was told they have not denied anything because nothing had been submitted.

You’ve caught this dealership in multiple lies. Not just once either. They’ve already acknowledged that they fired an incompetent tech who was the reason for buying a belt you didn’t need, and paying for diagnostics which they obviously did NOT perform!
I would formally write a letter to Yamaha informing them of the deception. Furthermore, there is not a review board or forum that I would not have their deeds and name plastered all over with the facts. Make it so nobody would go there for any reason.
I would also file a complaint with the BBB on deceptive practices.
🤬

·
Registered
958 Posts

Wow incredible.... sorry but at least you can have them call the shop to figure out what they will do. I had a similar experience and Yamaha Corp stated they leave that up to the shop to decide.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I might have missed this but did the shop say what the issue is other that the first guess the belt. Or are they saying it’s the car tire?

·
9,529 Posts
Major let down on customer service. The simple truth, something like: "We would prefer not to work on your bike at this time due to modifications and suggest you take it elsewhere" would have been better. It still would have made you mad, but you would know the truth. I have worked in customer service most of my life and never put in a position where a lie made it better, it's not my style. Truth hurts sometimes, but it is what it is. I think you should try another dealer and not mention anything to them about this experience and see if there are able to help you fix the problem.

·
Registered
360 Posts

I hate that you’ve got such a bottom-of-the-barrel dealer, Bucfan...hope you have far better luck elsewhere!

·
Banned
2,819 Posts
Major let down on customer service. The simple truth, something like: "We would prefer not to work on your bike at this time due to modifications and suggest you take it elsewhere" would have been better. It still would have made you mad, but you would know the truth. I have worked in customer service most of my life and never put in a position where a lie made it better, it's not my style. Truth hurts sometimes, but it is what it is. I think you should try another dealer and not mention anything to them about this experience and see if there are able to help you fix the problem.
I mentioned that course of action to him Les, but he said the other dealership in the area only has a half star higher rating. I could deal with that though if they had integrity.

·
Banned
2,819 Posts
I might have missed this but did the shop say what the issue is other that the first guess the belt. Or are they saying it’s the car tire?
Hey Rich, he said the dealer the first time before the belt took it for a ride to assess the problem. Then afterwards they tell him they will NOT test ride it because he’s “darksided”. That means they never rode it the first time.
They haven’t t even really done anything to actually assess the problem. They just lied outright telling him Yamaha rejected the warranty repair claim when they have not.
It’s been one lie after another.
That’s sad because a dealership can make or break a bike ownership. In this case, they drove him away from Yamaha for good.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I could really get mad at this point but it'll only raise my blood pressure. I am blessed with a wonderful wife, a good job and good health. A broken down bike that is not critical transportation is a problem a lot of people would trade me for. I will not fight Yamaha over it, the stress is not worth it to me. Yamaha will fix it or I will, it will be gone soon after and I will never own anything from Yamaha again. I'll take a beating when selling as I know Japanese v twins do not hold their value. I knew that when I bought it but planned on keeping it for 100k miles anyway. I only made it to 34

·
9,529 Posts
I could really get mad at this point but it'll only raise my blood pressure. I am blessed with a wonderful wife, a good job and good health. A broken down bike that is not critical transportation is a problem a lot of people would trade me for. I will not fight Yamaha over it, the stress is not worth it to me. Yamaha will fix it or I will, it will be gone soon after and I will never own anything from Yamaha again. I'll take a beating when selling as I know Japanese v twins do not hold their value. I knew that when I bought it but planned on keeping it for 100k miles anyway. I only made it to 34

There are times I let situations get to me and take my sanity, what little I have. It takes a lot to have the attitude you have about this, hats off to you. Not letting someone or something dominate your life is difficult. Now with all that said, what bike is next? What ever it is, don't leave, your friendship and experience can not be replaced.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
There are times I let situations get to me and take my sanity, what little I have. It takes a lot to have the attitude you have about this, hats off to you. Not letting someone or something dominate your life is difficult. Now with all that said, what bike is next? What ever it is, don't leave, your friendship and experience can not be replaced.
Most likely a Wing... She likes a pre 18, I like both new and old so...

·
Registered
958 Posts
Most likely a Wing... She likes a pre 18, I like both new and old so...

I like the older style.. unless the change the way the side saddles open..the new wing is too odd for me, i like the Indian. Goodluck on whatever you decide. And Les stated we hope you stick around and still join the rally.

·
Registered
958 Posts

I understand but hate when I feel taken. I hope Yamaha steps up and gets this fixed.
I hope you figure out the issue that is causing this. When you do please share it with us.

61 - 80 of 122 Posts