Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,528 Posts
While it is aggravating to have it down this long, it is just a motorcycle. I think the wife is far more upset than me.
When I do get it back the battery will probably need replacing...on my dime. That'll probably be the last straw and I'll pitch a fit. LOL.
Take the wife with you, bet she could get them to comp you a battery. When a woman is upset, it's normally easier to give in.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Take the wife with you, bet she could get them to comp you a battery. When a woman is upset, it's normally easier to give in.
Whenever my wife (of 30 years) is talking with a sales/service person and begins with "you don't seem to understand".. I vacate the premises. The poor schlep has already lost the battle, they just don't know it yet. I just get out of the way.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Update, another 2 week delay.

ROBERT,

Your washer is supposed to arrive today, however the pulley we are waiting on is on backorder now until the 16th of this month. I will continue to keep you updated and more information come available.

Thanks
PRESTON ODOM
SKY POWERSPORTS OF LAKELAND INC
863-682-4607

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

·
9,528 Posts
That's a bummer. Fingers crossed the part arrives quicker.

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
291 Posts
As to that belt, or any like it. Get me the largest and smallest circumference , width, and ( if a very small belt path) min/max depth/thick and I can find out if EITHER gates rubber or continental make one that will fit. Then I can get you the exact part #. I cannot help you buy direct, but should be able to direct you to a company that I know buys from us that would take your order.

This offer is open to anyone on the message board. OH, need to know the operational load requirements. Foot pounds of torque, maximum.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Update: dealer just called me and said the part did not come in. It is now on backorder until March of 2021. He is going to ask if the bike is rideable until then and give it back if it is.

·
9,528 Posts
I'm questioning the commitment of your dealership. Sure you have communicated with corporate, what is their response? Find it difficult to believe corporate is agreeing to just have the bike sit there. Good luck and keep us up to date.

Reactions: Zamfield

·
Registered
2018 Eluder
61 Posts
Agree with Lesblank… What are the limitations of time here? How long are you supposed to be without the bike?!
Doesn't seem very fair that even with a warranty you have to wait... what? years?!

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
That is just a shame it is like dealing with a Marine dealer. I had a friend that was having a mercury rebuilt by a dealer. The said they didn't get the parts yet. He asked where do they have to get it from. They answered the dealer down the street. Just another part of the world turning upside down.
Good luck and hope that iit is all worth it down the road.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
I talked with Yamaha corporate today. They said parts are really tough to get. I absolutely believe them and am trying to be understanding but 6 months for a part that most likely will not correct the problem is a little much. Yamaha did say they would compensate me. I asked to trade for a Goldwing but had to settle for them extending my warranty for the amount of time it ends up being in the shop...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Bucfan11, I totally get your frustration, I would be pissed also. But with this pandemic, I know that there is a problem getting stuff from overseas as I don't think manufacturing is at full capacity. For some stupid bolts and small brackets for the Eluder quick disconnect hardware for backrest, they are on back order from US Yamaha until January, although my dealer found one in stock some other dealer in the US. But still waiting to get the actual backrest pad that's on back order until right around now (haven't heard back from dealer), really? If your bike needs some obscure part, there may not be any available from other dealers. But I wonder if motorsports dealers have a loaner program like some car dealers. I knew a guy that the frame of his Tacoma pickup rusted out under warranty, and they had to wait 6 months + just to get the frame from Japan. Then he had to wait several more weeks or months to get the engine, body , trans and everything else from the old frame on to the new frame. Since the vehicle was older, they wouldn't give him a new truck. I forget what they gave him to drive, but he had a free loner for 8 or 9 months if I remember right. I guess the problem with a loaner from a Motorsports dealer is they don't deal in the volumes car dealers do.
Are you somewhere that it's getting colder or are you in an area you can ride. That would really suck if you lived down south or west where you could still ride. For me, I pretty much assume that I'm done riding this year.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I would tell them I need a bike that works and that they better be sending a new one or I would let them tell it to a judge.

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
291 Posts
I gotta agree with Jspree. Not just extended warranty, but you have paid for license plate and all those costs AND insurance. Those are costs you pre-paid and can't use.

EXAMPLE: state fees.for.plates,ect. Are (picking a number) $120 per year. Insurance (cheap) $120 a year. If they have my new bike for 6 months, then I am out $120!!!
(Half of both costs) .

And even though it isn't all their fault for the delay, it is STILL their fault for the initial problem. And all after that falls under the "lemon" (defect in manufacturing) issue.

Compensation IS called for in this case.

Hell, in court you could sue them for the loan payments you made while not in possession of the bike.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I gotta agree with Jspree. Not just extended warranty, but you have paid for license plate and all those costs AND insurance. Those are costs you pre-paid and can't use.

EXAMPLE: state fees.for.plates,ect. Are (picking a number) $120 per year. Insurance (cheap) $120 a year. If they have my new bike for 6 months, then I am out $120!!!
(Half of both costs) .

And even though it isn't all their fault for the delay, it is STILL their fault for the initial problem. And all after that falls under the "lemon" (defect in manufacturing) issue.

Compensation IS called for in this case.

Hell, in court you could sue them for the loan payments you made while not in possession of the bike.
I would lemon law it except it does not apply to power sports equipment in Florida plus I believe it has to be within the first year but may be wrong.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would lemon law it except it does not apply to power sports equipment in Florida plus I believe it has to be within the first year but may be wrong.

I worked at a Honda shop for a while a few years ago and it was not uncommon for our backroom to dismantle a brand new bike to retrieve parts for a broken motorcycle that was covered under warranty and the parts needed were made of unobtainium. I also know that the SVTC/Eluder models were a hard sell and there have been numerous accounts of dealerships who have been sitting on left overs going as low as $12,500 for brand new left over SVTC's in an effort to get rid of sitting inventory. Knowing that is happening, I wonder if asking your dealership to inquire with Yamaha to work something like dismantling a left to get your bike going pronto not be a way to produce a workable solution. Yamaha has developed a very high standard in taking care of their warranty customers and it is hard to belief that they would risk losing years worth of known trust worthiness over a bike that is questionable in its future. That makes no sense.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
I worked at a Honda shop for a while a few years ago and it was not uncommon for our backroom to dismantle a brand new bike to retrieve parts for a broken motorcycle that was covered under warranty and the parts needed were made of unobtainium. I also know that the SVTC/Eluder models were a hard sell and there have been numerous accounts of dealerships who have been sitting on left overs going as low as $12,500 for brand new left over SVTC's in an effort to get rid of sitting inventory. Knowing that is happening, I wonder if asking your dealership to inquire with Yamaha to work something like dismantling a left to get your bike going pronto not be a way to produce a workable solution. Yamaha has developed a very high standard in taking care of their warranty customers and it is hard to belief that they would risk losing years worth of known trust worthiness over a bike that is questionable in its future. That makes no sense.
My local dealer has no SVTC in stock and I highly doubt they would put forth any extra effort. That said, Yamaha has lost me as a customer. Yamaha could offer me a straight up trade for a 21 model and I would take it long enough to ride it to a Honda dealer so I could be rid of it. I'll not own anything the Yamaha corporation manufactures. I suppose I should be happy they are wiling to "extend" the warranty the amount of time it has been in the shop... such a great company. /S

·
Registered
136 Posts
My local dealer has no SVTC in stock and I highly doubt they would put forth any extra effort. That said, Yamaha has lost me as a customer. Yamaha could offer me a straight up trade for a 21 model and I would take it long enough to ride it to a Honda dealer so I could be rid of it. I'll not own anything the Yamaha corporation manufactures. I suppose I should be happy they are wiling to "extend" the warranty the amount of time it has been in the shop... such a great company. /S
I can 100% feel your pain my friend and am in no way trying to belittle it but I would admonish you to clearly think this thru. To be honest, after having worked in Admin for a Honda shop and other corporate positions thru the years I found that angry customers usually are the last ones to find answers.
I assure you that Yamaha Corporate knows where all the left over bikes are setting and on whose floorplan they belong. A simple, calm phone call to Yamaha, not your dealership, explaining how long your bike has been down and how much longer it appears it will have to be down and that the scenario you find yourself in is unacceptable. Then ask THEM if they would approve dismantling a new left over to get you going. If yes, then ask THEM to locate and instruct on how the parts will be shipped to your dealership for usage. Calmly place the burden on their shoulders.
Then,, once the bike is fixed, make your move = dump it and move on.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
I can 100% feel your pain my friend and am in no way trying to belittle it but I would admonish you to clearly think this thru. To be honest, after having worked in Admin for a Honda shop and other corporate positions thru the years I found that angry customers usually are the last ones to find answers.
I assure you that Yamaha Corporate knows where all the left over bikes are setting and on whose floorplan they belong. A simple, calm phone call to Yamaha, not your dealership, explaining how long your bike has been down and how much longer it appears it will have to be down and that the scenario you find yourself in is unacceptable. Then ask THEM if they would approve dismantling a new left over to get you going. If yes, then ask THEM to locate and instruct on how the parts will be shipped to your dealership for usage. Calmly place the burden on their shoulders.
Then,, once the bike is fixed, make your move = dump it and move on.
You sound like...me! My wife is ready to explode but I feel getting angry will most likely result in nothing or even longer wait time. When I talked to corporate customer service I let him know my displeasure at the amount of time it will take and my displeasure of the product but was very courteous to the guy. You're also correct about moving on. I will not have it long after it is finally repaired, certainly not past the warranty.

101 - 120 of 122 Posts