Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

141 - 160 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
I bought a Yamaha Bolt in 2013 and I had only good things to say about Yamaha service, but since I bought my Road Liner the dealer service on this bike has been unbelievably bad. I was charged over $800.00 to replace the fuel pump. I rode the bike home and the next morning it wouldn’t start.

I took it back and they charged me another $100.00 to diagnose the problem

“Unit inspected; Found rust in the tank.With that the rust is in all the fuel lines and injectors as well. The injectors were plugged with rust.
Needs- injectors,fuel lines and a new fuel tank.” $2,030.92

That’s just part of the bullshit they were shoveling.

I took it to another mechanic, showed him the invoice from Yamaha, after reading it he said “looks like they’re trying to hose you”. After their diagnosis (checking my tank for rust ,my fuel lines and injectors) They came to the conclusion that I needed a new fuel pump.
With parts and labor, including the diagnostic ($85.00) my bike now runs great, they charged me $622.83, Fuel Pump $440.00, Spark plugs $11.96, Labor $85.00, and the Diagnostic.
Yamaha service was done (or not done) at Babbits in Muskegon MI.
Wow, sounds like my dealer. I am about $1000 in to a warrantied bike which is the only reason Yamaha has it but I believe it is the output shaft bearing. I also know I could have bought aftermarket bearings and installed myself for far less and far faster than Yamaha has charged me.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Sorry to hear Rob....I can’t remember but what part was it that was failing, was it the front belt sprocket? I wonder if there is another one to be had out there. Could you scout around to see if there was a wrecked bike that you can get the part from. Maybe take another bike for a test ride and swap the part, I didn’t say that.....or typed it....
I have seen on this forum and others that a few have been wrecked and totaled, it is worth a shot to reach out to them and ask....I know it sound horrible but if another fellow biker could help out another. This is like an organ donor.
Best of luck and I am hoping that this doesn’t happen to anyone else but it sounds like they have a backorder and have others. I would have thought since they made a 2021 the parts would be more available.
Also did you ever record the sound, I would like to keep an ear out for it.
Would the sound but a vibrating hum or a hum for something going defective from the rear, center or front.
I hope that the part order is the correct part, I think I remember you stating that you didn’t think the part they want to replace was going to fix the problem, is this still the case?
It is the drive belt front pulley they are waiting on. Yamaha said there was one on the west coast but it was already assigned somewhere else. I did not record the sound but I will once they replace the pulley and try to give it back to me as you are correct, I dont think it is even remotely possible that is the problem, so I'll be stuck waiting another 6 months for them to change another part. I would describe it as tire roar, only with no way to make it go away. Wet roads, weaving, braking, turning off engine make no difference in the noise. The only thing that changes the "roar" is speed, the faster you go the louder it is. I'd bet money it is the front output shaft bearing but Yamaha is the professionals...

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
It is the drive belt front pulley they are waiting on. Yamaha said there was one on the west coast but it was already assigned somewhere else. I did not record the sound but I will once they replace the pulley and try to give it back to me as you are correct, I dont think it is even remotely possible that is the problem, so I'll be stuck waiting another 6 months for them to change another part. I would describe it as tire roar, only with no way to make it go away. Wet roads, weaving, braking, turning off engine make no difference in the noise. The only thing that changes the "roar" is speed, the faster you go the louder it is. I'd bet money it is the front output shaft bearing but Yamaha is the professionals...
Rob thanks for the addition input. I hope they have this on order as well just in case. I would suspect that you have told them and to be sure to order that part just in case.
Again best of luck, I know the feeling when my bike was down for the blown motor, actually the lifters.
I know if was just about 2 months but it was the feeling of not knowing everyday of when I was going to get it back.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wow what a mess. Harley was never my choice of bikes but Im glad the Yamaha is out of my garage after this. The dealer that replaced this was great but they had never seen nor had one on the showroom. It cost me 3 lost days on a 8 day trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Wow what a mess. Harley was never my choice of bikes but Im glad the Yamaha is out of my garage after this. The dealer that replaced this was great but they had never seen nor had one on the showroom. It cost me 3 lost days on a 8 day trip.
Sorry to hear that, that sucks, big time.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Rob thanks for the addition input. I hope they have this on order as well just in case. I would suspect that you have told them and to be sure to order that part just in case.
Again best of luck, I know the feeling when my bike was down for the blown motor, actually the lifters.
I know if was just about 2 months but it was the feeling of not knowing everyday of when I was going to get it back.
I mentioned it several times. The dealer has not ordered the bearings. I was told one step at a time. The dealer talked to corporate looking for guidance, corporate recommended the front pulley replacement.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Wow, it would be nice of them if they would atleast be alittle proactive and order the bearings.
I guess them stating they are working with Yamaha Corp means they are waiting on what they are telling the dealer instead of asking to order this part as a precaution.
Same as I went thru when my bike was down, the dealer only listened to what Corp was telling them to do. Well fingers crossed you get it back soon...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
As slow as they have been, I honestly would order the bearing and collar for that pulley from Partzilla and have it ready for when they go to order it

·
Registered
312 Posts
I mentioned it several times. The dealer has not ordered the bearings. I was told one step at a time. The dealer talked to corporate looking for guidance, corporate recommended the front pulley replacement.
Have you called corporate? I called and found they had been waiting 5 days for a response from the dealer to some questions. They called the dealer for an update while I was on hold.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Have you called corporate? I called and found they had been waiting 5 days for a response from the dealer to some questions. They called the dealer for an update while I was on hold.
I call them about every 6 weeks for an update... useless. I honestly feel like they are trying to wait me out, hoping I'll give up and fix it myself... they may be right.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Hey guys, if any of you want my extra drive belt I’ll let it go with free shipping for $50. It has 34k on it but measured out perfect. I’ll even give you your money back if you get it are not happy with it. I also have front and rear oem brake pads new in packaging for $70.
I will be getting rid of this if I ever get it out of the shop so no need for me to keep any parts I’ll never use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hey guys, if any of you want my extra drive belt I’ll let it go with free shipping for $50. It has 34k on it but measured out perfect. I’ll even give you your money back if you get it are not happy with it. I also have front and rear oem brake pads new in packaging for $70.
I will be getting rid of this if I ever get it out of the shop so no need for me to keep any parts I’ll never use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Rob.
I would have taken you up on your brake offer but I just purchased a set, front and rear, crap.
If you come across anything else let us (me) know...

·
Registered
312 Posts
I bought a Yamaha Bolt in 2013 and I had only good things to say about Yamaha service, but since I bought my Road Liner the dealer service on this bike has been unbelievably bad. I was charged over $800.00 to replace the fuel pump. I rode the bike home and the next morning it wouldn’t start.

I took it back and they charged me another $100.00 to diagnose the problem

“Unit inspected; Found rust in the tank.With that the rust is in all the fuel lines and injectors as well. The injectors were plugged with rust.
Needs- injectors,fuel lines and a new fuel tank.” $2,030.92

That’s just part of the bullshit they were shoveling.

I took it to another mechanic, showed him the invoice from Yamaha, after reading it he said “looks like they’re trying to hose you”. After their diagnosis (checking my tank for rust ,my fuel lines and injectors) They came to the conclusion that I needed a new fuel pump.
With parts and labor, including the diagnostic ($85.00) my bike now runs great, they charged me $622.83, Fuel Pump $440.00, Spark plugs $11.96, Labor $85.00, and the Diagnostic.
Yamaha service was done (or not done) at Babbits in Muskegon MI.

Thanks for the info on Babbits. I am struggling with my dealer on a GPS problem. Fox Power Sports in Wyoming MI.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I just looked it up and it isn't the same belt as my Stratoliner or I would buy it for a spare.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
UPDATE: Yamaha dealer called me today and said they got the part in and installed. I can pick it up tomorrow! I asked if they test rode it and they said they did not... because the battery is now dead after sitting in their shop for 6 months. They said I needed to buy a new one for around $200. I have a call in to corporate and am waiting on a call back.

·
Registered
312 Posts
UPDATE: Yamaha dealer called me today and said they got the part in and installed. I can pick it up tomorrow! I asked if they test rode it and they said they did not... because the battery is now dead after sitting in their shop for 6 months. They said I needed to buy a new one for around $200. I have a call in to corporate and am waiting on a call back.
I specifically asked Yamaha about that problem and they told me if the problem occurred while at the dealer, it would be taken care of. Either the dealer or Yamaha owe you a new battery.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,207 Posts
They sure are confident they fixed the issue. :unsure: When you have corporate on phone getting a new battery, ask then how can the dealer know they fixed the issue without riding it. Would love to know their response.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
What, the battery has to be replaced if it's allowed to go dead?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Holy crap, they are not very helpful there. I hope you are not going to buy your goldwing there..

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
They sure are confident they fixed the issue. :unsure: When you have corporate on phone getting a new battery, ask then how can the dealer know they fixed the issue without riding it. Would love to know their response.
Les this is what you call “when someone takes there finger out of there mouth and holds it up in the air and touches the part installed on the bike with the other hand and says yup it’s fixed..”

141 - 160 of 181 Posts