Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for all in the path of Hurricane Florence, BE SAFE. I looked at our "where are you from poll" and 30% live in an area with a high probability of impact for this storm. I went thru a monster storm last year with Hurricane Harvey and can relate to the unknown hazards coming y'alls way. Please use this thread to update your safety. I know several of you are in the direct path. Just remember that the north east side of the storm is always the worst. Post often so we can keep track of your well-being. Good luck to all.

·
Super Moderator
6,013 Posts
Thanks les, we’ll keep you updated as we learn more day to day. I got my alerts earlier today. We’ve had so much rain this summer that the ground is still saturated and the rain and high winds predicted here are expected to cause area flooding. We filled up all our vehicles before price gouging and stocked up on extra food just in case, and I readied the 4by4 for extra duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
360 Posts
I used to do fire and flood restoration in FL and have seen first hand the devastation hurricanes, tornadoes spawned from them and flooding can cause. Err on the side of caution and take it seriously. Be safe and I hope you all come out unscathed. Blessings.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I used to do fire and flood restoration in FL and have seen first hand the devastation hurricanes, tornadoes spawned from them and flooding can cause. Err on the side of caution and take it seriously. Be safe and I hope you all come out unscathed. Blessings.
Thanks to all for your concern & prayers. Much appreciated! I’m located just a tad NE of Charlotte. If you look at the map posted, I’m right about where the “C” is on the name “North Carolina”.
Looks like the wind won’t be so bad but I’m in the 8” forecast rain band.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Being damn near waterfront property. (Less then 100 yrds from my front door is march land.) I am glad Flo has had its landfall moved south, last I checked. But, that doesn't mean I am out of harms way. I have pretty much done all the storm prep that we normally do and the vehicles are on higher ground.
Will drop a line & keep you 'in-landers' updated how things are progressing.

·
Super Moderator
6,013 Posts
We just got another notification that as Florence turns to the northwest after landfall after impacting the Carolinas, it’s predicting flash flooding in my area.

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been quiet with updates. For y'all in Hurricane Florence's path, post something if you can, even if it's that everything is good. All, be safe.

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So far just wind & some drizzles.
High tide is at 12:50am. So.... that will be the first indication of what flooding I'll get.
Glad all is well so far. Keep safe.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I am in VA near Virginia Beach - 24 miles as the crow flys. So what we were expecting on Monday is not coming. GREAT NEWS! However, where I live, (Poquoson if you want to google it) is expecting to see some higher then normal tidal flooding. And this is going to sound nuts, but as long as the storm surge is below 7ft. I will be OK. Or should I say .. I SHOULD be OK.

Next high tide, is at 130pm-ish. I'll let you guys know.

BTW - The 1250am high tide this morning ... The wife said we got/saw nothing.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
This situation is like people saying "we never had seat belts or bicycle helmets when we were kids...." yes, we survived but other kids didnt make it.

The people that are in a dangerous situation in this storm are not going to have power, or internet access, or maybe not even cell phone connections...

we wont hear from them for a week or more.

·
Super Moderator
6,013 Posts
Excellent point KCW! Prayers and thoughts with everyone going through this storm.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
The entire country is behind the people in the path of this storm.

Paramedics from upstate NY are already staged in north and south Carolina. Im not sure if its correct, but I heard one of our Mercy Flight helicopters was sent as well.

I heard rescue crews and paramedics from as far away as Alaska have been sent to the area.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts