Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
This is for you gear heads out there. My son's best friend has a 72 Oldsmobile 442 with a 455. The car sat under 4 foot of water for over a month after Hurricane Harvey. Motor had just been installed with less than 500 miles run time. Make a long story short I'm redoing the drive train. His house was flooded also with no insurance. The engine was totally under water for that month. Attached are a few pictures on cylinders that the exhaust valve must have been open and water got in. When I pulled the heads I wanted to cry. He didn't have insurance so he's paying me what he can to get it running. Going to take total motor, tranny, rear end, gas tank, power steering pump, basically everything. He's doing the interior. Drained 18 quarts on water out of engine before oil started to come out. Remember oil floats on water. Today got engine and tranny pulled and engine down to short block. If anyone get bored and wants to help just let me know. 馃榾馃榾

Maybe hard to tell but that's mold growing on intake.

Registered
Doesn't look too bad actually.. but I would definitely do a refresh hone on the cylinders..new rings and bottom bearings for sure.. Better safe than sorry :)

Sucks to deal with that kind of issue but better to fix it than to have to scrap it. Looks like a very nice car. Good luck with the rebuild !!!

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't look too bad actually.. but I would definitely do a refresh hone on the cylinders..new rings and bottom bearings for sure.. Better safe than sorry :)

Sucks to deal with that kind of issue but better to fix it than to have to scrap it. Looks like a very nice car. Good luck with the rebuild !!!
Yes, a hone will do it. So I'm doing what I call a soft rebuild, rings and bearings. Something I noticed after posting earlier is two pistons are in 180 out. Look at #1 and #3 in picture. The valve relief is 180 off. This was a crate engine from a "big" time national builder. He paid $13,500 for this motor. I'm finding a few more issues for this being a built motor. Owner gave me permission to call builder, might be able to get some bebuild compensation, don't ever know if you don't ask. Picture was after I cleaned some to see what I was dealing with. Actually cleaned up pretty good.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #4
Rocker hitting valve cover.

Rocker interference with push rod.

The more I tear about the more issues I'm finding. This was not a "professional " built motor. Going to be a interesting phone call to builder tomorrow.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the video the builder took of the motor i am working on.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a quick update. The engine short block is now done. Tranny rebuilt and installed. Intake and rockers went on today. The owner is having to do this on a budget so things are slowly going back together. So far under 2k total. The good part it gives me a project to work on rainy days like today.

Registered
Looking good. Did you get anything from the builder? Looks to me like they made some serious mistakes and that should be covered under warranty in spite of the bath it took.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #10
Looking good. Did you get anything from the builder? Looks to me like they made some serious mistakes and that should be covered under warranty in spite of the bath it took.
Builder said the warranty was void due to water and that I opened it up. He stated it was running good when he did his test run. He was extremely defensive when I questioned the issues I found. Just kept saying all was good on test run. When asked about pistons being installed upside down he said nothing. Asked him twice and it was total silence. Asked about rockers hitting valve cover, he said the owner wanted those valve covers and there was plenty of clearance. When asked why then did he use two valve cover gaskets on each side, there was that silence again. The last moment of silence was when I asked him if he slept good at night putting out finished product like this. That's when he hung up. The good thing, Just a little more money and time this will turn out to be a great running big block torque monster.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #12
Update, front pulley kit back on, rebuilt Carb and rear-end today. Getting closer.

Registered
Wow, that is one seriously gorgeous automobile, and I really hope that your son's friend is successful in his quest to return it to its pre-Harvey glory. I am quite certain that whatever amount of money/effort is required to bring it back to ship-shape will most certainly be worth it. I have always had a love for these cars, but sadly have never had the pleasure of owning one. You can tell him that if he ever decided to part with it, I would purchase it from him in a heartbeat!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Wow, that is one seriously gorgeous automobile, and I really hope that your son's friend is successful in his quest to return it to its pre-Harvey glory. I am quite certain that whatever amount of money/effort is required to bring it back to ship-shape will most certainly be worth it. I have always had a love for these cars, but sadly have never had the pleasure of owning one. You can tell him that if he ever decided to part with it, I would purchase it from him in a heartbeat!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland
Pre Harvey is was a great driver. The kind that you could to a local car show and do well. I'm focusing on the mechanical restoration. So far parts and labor total is a tad over $2400. (I work cheap, it's more of a I want to do it.) That includes what I call a soft rebuild, main bearings, rod bearings, rings, hone, spec all. Power steering flush, rear end rebuild, flush and clean fuel tank and lines, carb rebuild, distributer clean with new bearings, transmission rebuild, starter and alternator disassembled and cleaned, new thermostat, hoses and belts. I'm sure I've missed some items that were redone. Haven't tested MSD box yet. With the car sitting under water for over two weeks really messes everything up. He will still have a couple thousand in the interior refresh but I'm not doing that. I figure another couple of days work I will be ready to start it. The owner is getting tight on money and we might have to stretch the time table some. I'm doing the labor cheap but not free, and he understands.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #16
Work on the olds some today. I'm a few days from starting. The engine is now complete. Still have to address fuel system and check corrosion on engine electrical connections. I'm down to the time consuming stuff that's always a pain. So, fresh motor rebuild, tranny rebuilt, Carb rebuild, power steering flush, distributer rebuilt, rear end rebuild, and so much cleaning I get tired thinking about it. Anyway, here a few pictures of how it looks after today's work. The last picture is how it looked after flood from the hurricane, remember the engine was totally under water.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #18
Come a long ways there les, very inspiring. Thanks for sharing, I may have to take a trip to Houston to let you look at my Blazer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What year is your Blazer. I had a 72 K5 Blazer (4 wheel drive) for a few years in the mid 70s, it was a blast till fuel prices got too high. I currently have a 1997 Blazer. It was given to me when my father in law quit driving. I always did the maintenance on it for him, so he wanted me to have it. It looks good, never in wreck, leather interior, mechanical very sound, nasty green color. I hate it. The tranny went out a few years ago when he still had it. You have to raise the body off frame to change tranny, not one of Chevy's best design. But I told him I would never sell it while he is still alive. I've put about 2k miles a year on it for the last 4 years. It gets washed everytime it rains.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #19
Here's the latest on the olds. I'm working on electrical stuff now. Put battery in for first time today. Lights work, radiator fans work, radio works, wipers work, horn works, I'm getting excited. Yea, right. Electric fuel pump has no power. It's a Holley Blue that sit under vehicle and I figured all would be OK. NOT. One of the pictures below shows the mold and corrosion in the wiring under dash, nasty. Cleaned up and dialectic grease on what I could reach. Now have power to pump, still doesn't work. Took pump apart. The fuel rotors look good, the issue is not on fuel side of the pump related. Took electrical part on pump apart, major water damage. Water must have seeped in where the wires go into pump, it's too far gone to fix, needs new pump. So on to starting system. Turn key to test, remember there's no fuel, I don't want to start just test the system. Turn key, nothing, no click, no nothing. Pull ignition switch, hate GM switches. Looks good with continuity. Scratch head? In park, yes. Humm, neutral safety switch? After market shifter with micro switch, pain to get to. No continuity, cleaned corrosion, have continuity. Turn key, it cranks!!!! So I clean some more wiring. Now to test spark. Have to remember the MSD box was in center console which was under water. I figured the MSD box for sure would be bad. I hook up my timing light and sit on fender facing driver. That way if I have spark I could see the timing light flash. Turn key, WE HAVE SPARK. Wow. So I start thinking, I could pour some gas into Carb and see if it will fire. So I pour a little gas in, turn key, VAAROOM, for a second and dies. Try again and it fired again. So now I know it will start. Will order pump next week, owner is a little short on funds. I'm so close. Did check oil pressure when I was cranking and we are good there. No stange noises when I was cranking. I'm also posting picture of mud mess in front of barn, can't drive to barn, have to carry my tools in.

Mold and corrosion under dash.

Fuel pump.

Muddy mess

Registered
You have far more patience and troubleshooting skills than I could ever have. The owner is lucky to have you to put it all back together. Nice job. You found a pulse, now I'm guessing it won't be long until you can post some "It's alive!" pics.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts