Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys thinkin of putting a hyper charger on my v-star 1100 ...i know it comes with jet kit to rejett carb ..any one know how much bigger these jetts are from stock ?....was wondering if putting a KnN filter in the stock air cleaner box and i have seen where u can drill 3 holes on the front of the stock air cleaner box and put sum mesh there just like a ram air affect have the same performance affect as a hyper charger?..and i am assuming u would have to rejett also in this case....may not look as nice as a hyper charger ..lol...do u really feel a differnce in performance with a hyper charger?...thanks guys...link to ram air mod.....http://vstar.brazilmission.net/

·
Registered
410 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have 2000 vstar 1100 custom. the cycle shop didnt want to add my cobra slip on exhaust withou changing the air/fuel ratio to work with the exhaust changes. so i had them install a barons big air kit that has KN filter and a jet kit that should balance the air/fuel with the new air and exhaust arrangment, hope it works. I went with barons because the hypercharger sticks out against my leg and can be uncomfortable. hope you get what you like. ride safe and have fun.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Sledman, if you put on a hypercharger you really won't see that much performance unless your free up the exhaust with a new system or some slip on modifications. I would suggest you wait untill you do both then have the rejetting done. if you do them seperate, you will have to rejet the carbs each time. I don't have a hypercharger but I wish I had put one on when I did the exhaust on my 1100. So now its going to cost extra to put on a hypercharger for me. So take my advice, wait till you can afford to do both at the same time.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'd stay away from the hyper charger I had one on my FXDG. With the right carb like the edelcrap that could meter fuel on the fly it was fine but when I got tired on droping fuel rods and getting stuck on the side of the road and went S&S. I nor the best bike mechanic in town could find a happy spot for it to live without the butterflies dang near closed or wide open.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
If you can find a hypercharger shell they look really cool, then do a pod setup for the ease of maint., setup and power.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I did the airbox mod!

hey guys thinkin of putting a hyper charger on my v-star 1100 ...i know it comes with jet kit to rejett carb ..any one know how much bigger these jetts are from stock ?....was wondering if putting a KnN filter in the stock air cleaner box and i have seen where u can drill 3 holes on the front of the stock air cleaner box and put sum mesh there just like a ram air affect have the same performance affect as a hyper charger?..and i am assuming u would have to rejett also in this case....may not look as nice as a hyper charger ..lol...do u really feel a differnce in performance with a hyper charger?...thanks guys...link to ram air mod.....http://vstar.brazilmission.net/
I did the ram air mod to my stock airbox and I am impressed with the outcome. I didn't have to rejet the carbs but they were jetted for a freeflow filter I have on it also. I didn't do the 3 holes, I put an oblong hole in the airbox and bolted it at top and bottom, then I superglued the mesh wire to the sides of the hole. It looks and preforms well, its not a large increase in power, but I did notice that it idles easier, and has more torque on low end.

Bob aka busterrm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts