Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2005 650 custom
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the #8446 hypercharger and the kit that adapts it to a 2005 650 and vance and hines short shots. tried the jets kuryakyn instructed and it was not running well. So we put in 127.5 main jets and they are turned out 4. Pilots jets are 35's. Needle adjustment is richer. Runs great with a wide open throttle but when I let up even a tiny bit it sputters/bogs and (backfires a lot on decel) when I turn on the choke it bogs way less. I wanted the dynojet kit but it appears to only come as a stage one. I believe I would need a stage 2. Anyone got suggestions?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,418 Posts
The hyper chargers are extremely difficult to make run at full throttle, with the added air into intake, and at idle without any added air. You can play with different jetting and hopefully hit a happy middle. Most give up trying to make it run right and only use the hyper charger as a decorative piece and block off the extra air coming in. I'm not trying to be negative, just have seen to many try for months and never get it 100%. You can get it to idle and cruise real nice but give up some on top end. Here's the recommended jetting,:

·
9,418 Posts
Another observation, your pipes appear to be pretty discolored, sign of running really rich. It's a situation I would address. The top of pipe might be a reflection, but lower part of head pipe looks golden, caused by heat, normally from lean. I'm not picking on you at all, just trying to help.

·
Registered
2005 650 custom
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another observation, your pipes appear to be pretty discolored, sign of running really rich. It's a situation I would address. The top of pipe might be a reflection, but lower part of head pipe looks golden, caused by heat, normally from lean. I'm not picking on you at all, just trying to help.

View attachment 98097
Yes, thank you, it was like that with the stock parts and I got it with 17k I wish that was a reflection. Man I hope we can get this running right. I might have to go back to the under the tank air cleaners that we put on in the spring and just let this be an ornament. Not ideal as I can feel a power difference with the hypercharger despite the jetting. Did not wanna be a poser lol!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Dayla. The dynajet kit is a waste. Jetsrus has individual parts at good prices. I went through this exact thing. VH short shots, HC. I wound up with the 130 jets, third notch on the needles, and, at 3 2/3 turns out on the pm screws. Still get a little back fire on decel if I chop the throttle. Pro: this momma kicks! Above 48 mph, I can feel the charger boost.. Slides me back on the seat going from 50 to 90 in like 2-3 seconds BUT. Cons: there is a notch, or lag in accel if I try to go from 40- 60... If I'm going from on ramp to highway I have to be careful, because when I rev up fast in the 1/3 to 1/2 throttle zone the bike lags or bogs, then takes off. Mileage stinks, getting 30mpg average... So, like Lea says, hypercharger looks cool, but kind of a pain. Can't tune it for all speeds. (Thanks again Les, and Keith, for your advice on tuning. And the 650 cc&d website. Lots of good tips.here and there). Bottom line? I'm gonna try the pods intake mod, unhook the HC, but keep it for looks.. And see if i like that set up any better. I've even thought about just going back to stock.. Previous owner installed the mods, But didn't try to tune, so I'm still dealing. Good look with your ride, and keep us updated! Ride safe, ride often.

·
Registered
2005 650 custom
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your input as well. Wish I knew all this before it was purchased! Another thing I wanna do is take off all the AIS junk. Will that effect how this setup is working too? Thanks for saving me $76!

·
9,418 Posts

·
9,418 Posts
Probably not the answer you are looking for, but maybe it will help.

·
Super Moderator
7,625 Posts
You’re more than welcome SS, glad we could help.
Dayla, had a friend back in my old neighborhood that had a HC on his bike and could never get it tuned right. He thought it looked cool, but it trapped much needed air. I’m sure if you use Les’ suggestions, your bike will run better. I removed the AIS from my RoadStar with a noticeable difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
756 Posts
@Dayla, I was more fotunate. I brought a 650 last spring and came across the hypercharger mod that someone added an LED inside. Looked awesome. A quick google revealed all the negative tuning issues for street bikes, so I decided to give that one a pass. The lesson, do your homework before making performance changes... sometimes the downsides arent worth it. The PO likely learned the hard way.

Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
2005 650 custom
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Dayla, I was more fotunate. I brought a 650 last spring and came across the hypercharger mod that someone added an LED inside. Looked awesome. A quick google revealed all the negative tuning issues for street bikes, so I decided to give that one a pass. The lesson, do your homework before making performance changes... sometimes the downsides arent worth it. The PO likely learned the hard way.
Good thinking, I did that with my pipes but never once thought there would be cons for a hypercharger. I should have been part of the forums before I had problems LOL

·
Registered
2005 650 custom
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
has anyone used the stinger cover? Maybe makes it less of an "air trap"

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,282 Posts
Hello Dayla and welcome from Virginia. First, your bike looks great. Second, I hope you fix your fueling issue soon and enjoy riding for many long years with it. Third, you are only the second person named Dayla I have come across in my life. The other was the senior wife of a Bedouin sheik I got to live with their tribe for a week in southern Iraq; but I digress. Welcome!

Reactions: dmil123 and Dayla

·
Registered
2005 650 custom
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello Dayla and welcome from Virginia. First, your bike looks great. Second, I hope you fix your fueling issue soon and enjoy riding for many long years with it. Third, you are only the second person named Dayla I have come across in my life. The other was the senior wife of a Bedouin sheik I got to live with their tribe for a week in southern Iraq; but I digress. Welcome!
Cool😁 Thank you!

·
Registered
233 Posts
has anyone used the stinger cover? Maybe makes it less of an "air trap" View attachment 98136
The HC is an air trap. At low speed it already pulls fairly max air. "It was designed for drag racing. At speeds above 60mph it acts as an air ram, increasing air into the carb, therefore increasing fuel that can burn, increasing top end speed."(like a turbo). At low speeds, it can't pull more air than the filter can flow... Let us know if you actually get everything dialed in! I still run mine cause i like the extra kick on the freeway. Still thinking about pod mods.. Or eventual return to stock. Don't think it gives that much power anyway.. How much power can we expect from a Yamaha 650? Good luck ✈

·
Registered
2005 650 custom
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The HC is an air trap. At low speed it already pulls fairly max air. "It was designed for drag racing. At speeds above 60mph it acts as an air ram, increasing air into the carb, therefore increasing fuel that can burn, increasing top end speed."(like a turbo). At low speeds, it can't pull more air than the filter can flow... Let us know if you actually get everything dialed in! I still run mine cause i like the extra kick on the freeway. Still thinking about pod mods.. Or eventual return to stock. Don't think it gives that much power anyway.. How much power can we expect from a Yamaha 650? Good luck ✈
I just bought the cover yesterday and it actually helps, I still need to adjust the carbs I think. It runs great and all I did was put this on. But it feels like it did when I was riding with the choke on, which may not be what i want lol. Definitely helped with the sputtering and bogging at 60 to 70 mph while holding the throttle steady and on decel across the speedo! It does backfire whole riding even at 75 but that may be fixed with the ais delete. I was super excited to tell the forums this but was gonna fine tune it more before I could confidently say "go buy this, it is amazing" but also, it looks badass 😎

1 - 20 of 24 Posts