Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After returning to low altitude after a tour in the mountains my bike continued to run as if it were at high altitude. It was found that the vacuum line to the hypercharger had become disconnected. After reattaching this line the bike returned to running normally, however, the butterfly gates on the hypercharger no longer partially close at low rpm, and remain completely open all the time. The bike seems to run fine at all rpms.

Here's my question. Would it be worth replacing the diaphram kit in the hypercharger to try to get it to work properly, or can I just leave it alone with the gates always fully open? My suspicion is that when the gates operate appropriately as designed to do they highten the cosmetic appeal of the unit, but do little to nothing related to the bike's actual performance.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and comments.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I don't own one myself so I can't say for sure, but from what I have read about them you are correct. The opening and closing of the butterflies is completely cosmetic.

·
Registered
473 Posts
This must be a weird problem with them because my vac line came off too and while my butterflies still work, they're not as responsive as they were before the line came off. Back to your issue, I would say the butterflies do absolutely nothing except move for looks. Try taking it apart and cleaning everything. I did that to mine when I cleaned the filter and they've become more responsive since and move more freely.

·
Registered
456 Posts
LOL The butterfly valves are for show only! If they were stuck closed, then that would be an issue. I love the look of the hypercharger, my wife"s 1100 has one and have considered one for my 1300.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts