Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got everything back together. It was recommended I do a pod mod also. Hit the Go button and it actually fired up! I lucked out doing the install but I'll be taking it to a real bike mechanic to tune it so I can enjoy the upgrade. One must know their limitations...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Did you do the POD Mod also or just the HC?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did them both. Now I just have to get the carbs running right. Bike starts good but is sputtering during accelloration.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
right as you step off idle? What is the throttle position 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 of the full amount of throttle available?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
What are your current carb settings Jets, Needle and PMS? What is your elevation?

·
Registered
211 Posts
would the pods not render the HC redundant, unless it is just for aesthetics?
if you didnt rejet then you probably should, just because something runs doesn't mean it's right.. could do some expensive damage without adjusting the fueling to match

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Answer to all, the carbs were rejetted. The bike starts and runs great except during hard acceloration when it struggles like it's not getting enough gas. During normal street driving, it's great. Went to a mechanic who said the first thing I need to do is get rid of the torque cones, which I'll do tomorrow. He said if that doesn't help, it could be running too lean. We'll see what transpires after the changes are made.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Torque cones should only be used with straight open drag pipes, with no additional baffling. If you used the jetting that came with the HC then it is definately under jetted. With an aftermarket exhaust you should be running 22.5 pilots/primaries, 150.0 mains and on stock needles from the fat end (washer, c-clip, plastic spacer and two .5mm shim washers) Dynajet needles (washer, c-clip and plastic spacer) with the clip in the second slot from the fat end. PMS set to 3.0 turns out from stop.

What yr is your bike? If it's after 2006 all or 2005 California, you'll need to modify the main jet holders by removing the portion that the o-ring fits into and the main jet fits inside. This cures High RPM fuel starvation (near Redline) a fuel solenoid shuts off fuel before redline to prevent catalytic converter damage. Aftermarket pipes have no need of this protection.

Go to this link if necessary for your bike.

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/VStar1100-FAQ-05.htm#2006-Pods

Read and scroll and you'll get to some pics of Jets and holders. About 2 or 3 pages down. Look for the one marked "Tim's Way" to see what small amount needs to be removed. With this material removed the holders are identical to pre-2005 holders.

I have 10K miles on my bike since doing this mod. Give your mechanic these settings they are tried and true. If you ride mainly at 4000' or above you may need 147.5s for mains and less PMS which is used to trim (add additional fuel) to the idle circuit.

LOL You're Mileage may go down a little, but you're Smileage will go way up!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm a little slow at getting back to you. The bike is a 2009, elevation is around 2000 ft. but some rides go over 5000 ft. I installed a pod kit, 125 front -122.5 rear main jets. I unplugged the carb vent hose and the bike ran like crap. Hooked it back up and the bike ran good at normal around town speeds. Under a little harder accelleration, the bike should have been quicker and started to stumble baddly at about 70 to 75 ( 1/2 -3/4 throttle. I have ordered 150 main jets and 22.5 pilot jets, as recomended. I will also do the needle modification at that time. As the pipes are a little louder than I like, I'll probably put in more backing also. Any other advise...I'm listening. Thanks for all your help so far.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You'll also need to do the main jet holder mod or get a hold of some 2005 or earlier jet holders and drill out the fuel shutoff solenoids.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was hoping you would answer back. I'll add that to the list. Anything else you can think of, please let me know. Trying to get all this done before it gets too hot here in Vegas and the Laughlin River Run in April. Thanks again.......

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The HC (HyperCharger) uses a ram air effect to stuff more air into the engine. This only works to a point, then the restrictions of the stock airbox and tubes/pathways ruin it. The POD mods do away with all the stock air system and restrictions. They attach right on to the 90 degree rubber boots that feed the carbs.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Nope that should about do it. It'll run right as rain.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whether the HC is useless or not, the end results of the HC, pod mod, rejet and freer flowing exhaust made a tremendous improvement. No comparison to stock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2005 1100 with Cobra Speedster Slashdown and HyperCharger. I bought the bike used and at that time it would back fire on decel. I took it to a shop that rejetted the carbs and it ran fine for a few months. Now the bike is back firing more then ever so I have desided to move to PODs leaving the HC on (for looks). So on to the question. Were can I purchases PODs either as a kit or build a kit? And does anyone know of a good mechanic in Las Vegas to get the carbs jetted correctly?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To lasvegas250. If you will go back to the answers, on my upgrade, from fulltilt01. you will see on 11-19-10 and 12-16-10 he suggests 2 websites and procedures. I followed them to a "T" and it worked for me and I'm not a mechanic. I did check with a few shops and I just don't want to pay for something I can do and in alot of cases, probably just as good. I'm at [email protected] in Sunrise Manor area. I'd be happy to share what I've learned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can do and in alot of cases, probably just as good. I'm at [email protected] in Sunrise Manor area. I'd be happy to share what I've learned.
I will go back to the posts you are referring to and your right I should do it myself as well. I do need to learn how to work on this bike. You might just see an email or two from me. Thank you for offering to share what you have learned.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts