Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m retired Navy Musician that is still playing. I have 30 plus years of experience on motorcycles. Mostly Honda, Victory and Indian. We live in Grand Rapids MI but do the snowbird thing to our condo in West Palm Beach. I wanted a bike for riding in Florida so I found a used but rough 2003 V Star 1100. $2500 got me the bike and had to replace the fuel shutoff valve, carb boots, both front and rear tires and a voltage regulator. It’s a very comfortable ride and I enjoy riding it now that it’s reliable. Many thanks to South Florida Choppers for helping me out.
Plant Fuel tank Bicycle handlebar Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Wheel Tire Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

Wheel Tire Plant Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

·
Super Moderator
4,648 Posts
Welcome from Sacramento, Ca.

Reactions: JP Hayward

·
Registered
2014 V Star 1300 Tourer
37 Posts
Welcome from SE Louisiana, nice ride 👍, originally from Livonia MI

·
Registered
2014 V Star 1300 Tourer
37 Posts
I grew up In Livonia. I went to Jefferson Elementary, Emerson Junior High and was part of the first graduating class of Franklin High in 1964.
Well I’m a little younger than you lol, as I was born a year before you graduated. My oldest sister graduated from Franklin in the mid 70’s, I ended up starting my freshman year at Bishop Borgess in Redford (had to take the city bus down Plymouth Rd just to get there) Dad ended up getting transferred down to SE Louisiana where I ended up finishing high school.

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, 1982 XS650 Heritage Special
3,212 Posts
Hello @JP Hayward and welcome shipmate form Virginia. I didn't think MUs were allowed to ever leave the Navy...

As a recruiter once upon a time, I helped one young man become an MU. After Boot, he went straight off to A-school with 2nd class on his arm. He was an incredible musician.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on your new VStar 1100. Once you fix whatever the former owner f-ed up, you'll like the VStar, as it's a very reliable bike, and a good mid-range power.. I bought one (photos below) just to modify to my taste (what you see is all my mods) and sold it for my current, much bigger Yamaha. If you're into modding your engine for power, there is more to 'squeeze' out of the 1100 engine with improved air/fuel mods we can all help you with. I pulled off all the stock AIS crap, added a under tank 'pod mod' and tweeked the air/fuel so it ran like a hot-rod by comparison to stock.

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
'14 1300 Deluxe & '02 650 Classic
167 Posts
I’m retired Navy Musician that is still playing.
Howdy from the mean streets of The Woodlands, Texas! That's a sexy scoot you've got there. You can attach your tenor to the pannier bracket and blow some Coltrane at stop lights. Can you dig it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello @JP Hayward and welcome shipmate form Virginia. I didn't think MUs were allowed to ever leave the Navy...

As a recruiter once upon a time, I helped one young man become an MU. After Boot, he went straight off to A-school with 2nd class on his arm. He was an incredible musician.
Hi Boog. I was quite happy in the Navy but was part of the first batch of E7’s that had to retire after 24 years. After a 14 month extension and inactive reserve time I retired in mid 94 with 28 years. I would do it all over again given the chance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Howdy from the mean streets of The Woodlands, Texas! That's a sexy scoot you've got there. You can attach your tenor to the pannier bracket and blow some Coltrane at stop lights. Can you dig it?
Definitely can dig it All of my bikes have hauled a saxophone or two.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Welcome from Cypress, TX and the Lower Mississippi River. Great looking ride. Thank you for your lifetime of Naval Service. Ride often, ride safe and hope to see you out on the road.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts