Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

I am glad I did it - magnetic drain plugs

1199 Views 26 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Wingnut Stickman
For those of you that don’t remember or didn’t know about my second engine repair to replace the output shaft bearing, this last time I wanted to replace atleast two of the three drain plugs with a magnetic drain plug and I am glad I did. The shop manager and tech were against them however I didn’t see the harm.
I had a good talk with @lesblank shortly after seeing my motor out of the bike frame and totally taken apart and spoke about the parts they were going to replace and maybe more as they got into it (which they did) I thought now would be a good time to install the magnetic drain plugs.
Well long story short and seeing what small metal fragments from the first engine repair did to the internal of the motor, this is what the magnets plugs picked up.
First upper magnetic drain plug. ( the lower was about the same)
Hand Glove Gesture Water Wood

This is what it looks like cleaned off, as much as possible.
Wood Gesture Gas Tints and shades Nut

Does anyone have a trick to remove these metal shavings from the magnetic drain plug!
See less See more
  • Wow
  • Helpful
Reactions: 5
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
On the job we always used a piece of fire caulk to get the little pieces out ot hex head drivers. Bubble gum would work also I suppose.
Reactions: 1
I have three of the magnetic drain plugs installed in my 2020 SVTC along with two longer magnets placed on the bottom of the oil filter. Added the magnets at my 16000-mile oil change and I am very curious to see if they pick up any metalic particles. The magnets in the three plugs I purchased can be removed so hopefully that will aid in clearing the particles from the plugs if there are any.
  • Wow
Reactions: 2
@GARider,

Is that normal to have metal shavings like that after some types of engine work? Prior to reading this i assumed not.

Have had magnetic drain plugs before and think it can only be good imo. Something tells me if i saw those shavings on my bike it would be close to over for it. But i haven't had any engine work.
I imagine it's like breaking in a new engine. They change enough gears and/or the crankshaft, then it needs to be broken in i imagine. The Honda i bought new had a 750 mi initial oil change, i guess the filter catches most of it, maybe all. It's probably the reason they have a break-in oil change recommended early, like 750-1000 miles.
@VStarArizona I think/thought it was going to be normal to have some metal shavings but not as much or as large as I saw. So I believe you are correct that after the number of internal components replaced it would essentially be similar to a new motor break in.
Now I have a long time before my next oil change….
I do not believe that many or that large size of metal shavings ever is present during break-in or at the end of a break-in period when changing oil. That is an ominous indicator for the life of your engine as the shavings had to come off a critical component. Also, there is a high likelihood that some of the shavings not captured by the filter or magnets have lodged themselves in some of the tiny oil passages that lubricate the bearings, cams and lifters.
  • Wow
I always used Permatex ultra slick when putting engine parts together especially bearings, cam shafts and parts like that, didn't use synthetic oil for break in. They make break in oil if you want to use it. Depending on what work you had done. Harley used to put a magnetic plug in the primary when it shared engine oil. I would say what you have there is normal.
Just so everyone understands there is at least one individual who has done oil analysis on a regular basis with their Star Venture TC and is reporting zero metallic particles. Metal particles in the oil for a Yamaha is not normal!
The motors are broken in at the factory and you can bet they get metal in the oil. Any time you put in new parts you are going to get that. It is normal
I am curious to see how the next oil change will look with a magnetic plugs if there’s any debris on them.
  • Helpful
Reactions: 5
Can someone post a link to where I can order these drain plugs, please?
@RRien07 I read about these on this forum a few years back and never bought them until recently after the engine work that was done.
I called the company Dimple and I recommend the same for anyone incase there are changes.
I notice that when I received mine the magnet was round and not flat.
Anyway these seem to have the strongest magnets based feedback from others and my dealer and now alittle experience.

This is what was on the Dimple Magnet post:

“Here are the sizes you will need for the three drain plugs.

The two out of the crankcase are M14x1.5x12mm and the one out of the oil sump drain is M14x1.5x16mm.

When you go to the Dimple site go to drain plugs by thread size instead of motorcycles for the two M14x1.5x12mm drain plugs.

Metric – Dimple Magnetic Drain Plugs

I don't see the M14x1.5x16mm drain plug listed any more on their site.

Here is a link to a site that has a Dimple M14x1.5x16mm

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/pa...MIse3iqYLZ5AIVBZJbCh2DEQTGEAQYASABEgK0QPD_BwE
See less See more
  • Helpful
Thank you @GARider, I was able to find everything on the Dimple site, I found the longer plug under Yamaha and the two shorter plugs under BMW.
Not cheap, but cheaper than replacing parts from metal shaving damage.
THanks again everyone.
I miss riding in Helena GA, one of the most beautiful areas I have ridden through.
The only issue I can find with the magnetic oil plugs GARider is recommending is the possibility of the magnets coming off the plug due to glue failure. I have never heard of this happening but that is why I purchased the ones with internal magnets.
I do like the design, however, they do not give the length and they do not have both lengths.
But nice design and a great price.
I updated my post to reflect the lengths 19mm and 14mm. No issues so far for me but I just installed them this oil change. And I did use thread locker on the ones without a cotter pin. I used thread locker only on the screws that hold the magnets into the oil plugs.
Does anyone have a trick to remove these metal shavings from the magnetic drain plug!
Hey Google: "What is the temperature where a magnet loses it?" Google says "176 F which should be easily attained in an Easy Bake Oven (or next to a 100w lightbulb (non-LED)) or, if you have any say in the kitchen (I like to think I do) pop it in a slow oven."

(try to imagine Julia Childs saying this) Once it is the desired temperature (you can check for doneness with a toothpick, but it has to be made of iron) give it a healthy whack (bonk may work, but just say no to crack) on the granite counter and set it aside to cool away from the debris.

Seriously, I often remove iron filings from a magnet using a wire brush and some strong strokes.
  • Haha
1 - 20 of 27 Posts