Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

well, yep the title gives it away. I broke the bike. I was coming back from a day trip to Payson and about 30 miles from Phoenix, I was accelerating from a stop light when I lost most of my power and looked back to see a very thick cloud of smoke pouring from my pipes. I pulled over immediately and hopped off (I was glad to not be on fire...).

It's at the dealership now, but they don't open their service center until Tuesday so it just gets to sit. I didn't even want to start it up again after that! any ideas? never seen anything like this personally. All the smoke is from the pipes, it's thick and white like burning oil. no oil is leaking on the ground, so whatever happened is hidden nicely inside.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Sorry to hear :( At least it didn't 'lock up' while you where on the highway :)

I'm guessing head gasket :confused:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Sounds like a gasket to me too.

With any luck (and a few benjamins) you'll be riding this time next week.

Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear :( At least it didn't 'lock up' while you where on the highway :)

I'm guessing head gasket :confused:
I thought the same, maybe rings. we'll see, I have a warranty thru the dealership so they should cover it. I'll keep updates coming but the service shop is closed until Tuesday. I'll be taking the homeless shelter -- er, public transportation to work for a bit.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
This is the '09 650 classic (dumped by the previous owner) right?? It's good you bought it from a dealer that might help with the repairs. Head gasket, rings, and valves are all possible culprits.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts