Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well not full pipes but I can swing some slip on's now finally can afford some better sound. I need some suggestions I was thinking cobra slash cuts and a jet kit seems like a good price but havent heard any in real life. any suggestions???

·
Registered
133 Posts
that is the same setup I have on my 02 1100 classic. I had a local bike shop do the install for me because Im not comfortable doing any carb work. I believe they used a Dyna Jet kit for the carbs. These Cobra mufflers are LOUD!! but are well built. I may have lost 1 or 2 miles per gallon in milage but the popping when decellerating is all gone and I can feel a bit more bottom end and midrange power when you roll on the gas. Did I mention these pipes are LOUD?? When I cruise now I wear ear plugs on long rides.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ive got cobra slip ons on my 650. I like the sound. It's not to loud because the baffles are still in but i want it that way. I ride it everyday back and forth to college and i can't stand loud pipes. The way i see it they put them baffles in there for a reason, so why take them out right? haha

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I've had my Cobra's on for three yrs. I was worried because right after I got them I was told they had cheap chrome. This I learned couldn't be further from the truth. No rust and no defects three yrs down the road. They are kinda loud, but I like em that way. I usually wear foam plugs when I ride due to wind noise anyway.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I thank you for the responses. I ordered the cobra slash cuts I hear a set this weekend at a bike show that's the sound I am looking for. Not as loud as my Harley was but much better then the stock mufflers on the star. We will see this Thursday. I talked to my local dealer they said I would not need the jet kit but if I do they stock them if I need them. I can't wait lol

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Have fun with the new exhaust. I'm not entirely sure about the whole "loud pipes save lives" campaign but I do feel a little safer during those breif seconds while I'm in a cager's left side blind spot.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I agree loud pipes are for pissing off neighbors only lol. I just wanted a little more sound so I went with the quiet pipes well at least the ones that are a little quiter with a little more grunt I hope

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well got the new pipes slapped em on damn what an improvement. The bike runs so much better it was kinda chilly outside on the test run about 38* so I will have to wait until it warms up before I find out if a jet kit is needed. These pipes are loud about the sound level of the drag pipes on my old Harley with the baffles in them which isn't quiet by any means. Im kinda ticked at my self for waiting so long to get them this should be one of the first bike upgrades anyone does. Granted the sound might turn some people off but my butt dyno says there is at least a 5hp gain I hop'd up onto the interstate getting unto speed at a known spot my bike was going 14 mph faster then normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts