Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I absolutely love it! Totally worth the money. I ordered it over this past new years holiday when he has his specials and included was:

-Ecu reflash
-Cobra powerflo intake
-V&H 2 into 2 big radius exhaust
(BTW this is all on my 2009 v star 950)

Its been awhile since I got it all installed but with the horrible weather this year I've just recently been testing the limits.

First off when I called Ivan he explained everything in simple terms so I'd know what I was getting into and walked me through everything including which tools to use and specific instructions on removing the ECU ( I had no idea what I was doing BTW) and installing the pipes and intake. Which made his service so awesome. He explained that I could pick and choose what I wanted in my package and gave recommendations, the intake was his recommended product but I decided on the pipes because of the sound over anything else.

After it was all ordered and shipped directly to my door I installed it all myself with no issues. EXCEPT V&H (not ivan) messed up and shipped the wrong hardware so $10 later at the auto store I fixed that issue instead of dealing with customer service because I was impatient to test everything out.

Recently got some good miles put on it and the handling is so much bette . Less popping and engine breaking on deceleration and seems like there's more power available in the lower rpms. Gas efficiency went up also. Throttle reactions are more crisp and easier to keep high speeds. Probably more than that and I'll add if I notice more.

The Pipes sound awesome, look awesome and turn heads and that was the point. I highly recommend them. A word of caution tho, because of the shape and how the curve near the brake pedal it will get hot on the leg so I suggest tall boots with these pipes.

Overall, I have only good things to say about the product and especially Ivan for working with me.

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
Wow Jessiegyrl that is a bunch of great workt. Yep Ivan's a great guy with a great product but getting that done by yourself, priceless :smile: I really noticed an improvement on my previous V-Star 1300 with the Cobra intake, plus it took up less leg space than the OEM cleaner cover. Again nice work!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it really does help with the leg room and i don't feel like i bang my knee on bumps as much either. and thank you! I'm not mechanically inclined but figured it out. :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
The re-flash from Ivan is the best you can do with these bikes. Fixes ignition, fuel, throttle mapping and fuel cut. No tuner comes close. Did this to my 1300 and it transformed the bike. And yes there is more torque in the lower RPM range, which allows to not to have to down shift as much and feather the clutch.

Nice bike!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well it's been a while. Are you still happy with this setup? Have you done any further mods to your bike? Just sitting here with the snow coming down and bike under the cover in the garage. Thinking of what I should do to mod it up for next spring.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Still love it and performance wise no I didn't add more but as u can see in my profile pic versus the one I'm posting I did other things. I bought some OEM touring bags, made the bike solo added the solo cargo rack and a solo studded touring mustang seat w/ backrest (I had also tried the Corbin version it was horrible). Added engine guard which are cobra brand if I remember correctly and the ISO kuryakyn adjustable pegs. I found a tsukayu fairing with a glove box compartment (double boox model) with speakers, aux, and 12 volt lighter type charger. It had a remote and a box but unfortunately they never worked since I had a shop mess with the wiring and they fried it to hell and back. Speakers were still good so bought a Jenson heavy duty radio set up for the handlebars and it did have blue tooth ( the electronics were set up to headlights THEN the battery to prevent draining)..... I think that's pretty much it past a pelt I cut and put on to help with sweating on 12 hour rides. With all that the bike was amazing compared to the basic stuff it originally had.

Unfortunately I'm now selling the bike for a bigger upgrade as the long distances get harder on a smaller bike. Also even with the pegs to help me stretch out I was still cramped a bit which I didn't notice as much normally but going through multiple states really pointed it out haha I like the victory's and Indians unfortunately for me victory is not going to be made anymore so it'll be awhile before the Indian is in my budget.

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Still love it and performance wise no I didn't add more but as u can see in my profile pic versus the one I'm posting I did other things. I bought some OEM touring bags, made the bike solo added the solo cargo rack and a solo studded touring mustang seat w/ backrest (I had also tried the Corbin version it was horrible). Added engine guard which are cobra brand if I remember correctly and the ISO kuryakyn adjustable pegs. I found a tsukayu fairing with a glove box compartment (double boox model) with speakers, aux, and 12 volt lighter type charger. It had a remote and a box but unfortunately they never worked since I had a shop mess with the wiring and they fried it to hell and back. Speakers were still good so bought a Jenson heavy duty radio set up for the handlebars and it did have blue tooth ( the electronics were set up to headlights THEN the battery to prevent draining)..... I think that's pretty much it past a pelt I cut and put on to help with sweating on 12 hour rides. With all that the bike was amazing compared to the basic stuff it originally had.

Unfortunately I'm now selling the bike for a bigger upgrade as the long distances get harder on a smaller bike. Also even with the pegs to help me stretch out I was still cramped a bit which I didn't notice as much normally but going through multiple states really pointed it out haha I like the victory's and Indians unfortunately for me victory is not going to be made anymore so it'll be awhile before the Indian is in my budget.
The V Star1300 is much more roomy and even more legroom than a Chieftain and Street Glide. Something you might look into. The Chieftain Limited is a sweet looking bike.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The V Star1300 is much more roomy and even more legroom than a Chieftain and Street Glide. Something you might look into. The Chieftain Limited is a sweet looking bike.
The chieftain limited 2018 in brilliant blue is what I was looking at because id like a touring bike right off without many add ones lol honestly I've always wanted an Indian never was a fan of harley but I did try the 1300 and not my favorite I wish they had kept some of the bigger models from Yamaha and not the new one they r releasing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have started doing a lot of interstate travel and have been considering going to either the 1300 or the Road Star. Although other than the higher revs on the interstate the 950 does a great job. I was thinking the ECU flash would help lower the revs a little. I think a bigger engine would make it more comfortable but the ECU flash is way cheaper than buying a bigger bike. Retired and on a budget so have to do a lot of thinking about which way to go and if it's a different bike may have to buy an older model to be able to pull the trigger.

Oh, and your bike looks awesome by the way!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have started doing a lot of interstate travel and have been considering going to either the 1300 or the Road Star. Although other than the higher revs on the interstate the 950 does a great job. I was thinking the ECU flash would help lower the revs a little. I think a bigger engine would make it more comfortable but the ECU flash is way cheaper than buying a bigger bike. Retired and on a budget so have to do a lot of thinking about which way to go and if it's a different bike may have to buy an older model to be able to pull the trigger.

Thank you!
And unless u plan to go cross multiple states often then 950 with the re flash would be fine it does help a lot. I only want more power for the super long rides, the 950 can do it it just wasn't as comfortable.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The chieftain limited 2018 in brilliant blue is what I was looking at because id like a touring bike right off without many add ones lol honestly I've always wanted an Indian never was a fan of harley but I did try the 1300 and not my favorite I wish they had kept some of the bigger models from Yamaha and not the new one they r releasing.
Yep that is a nice Bike (exactly what I would get), who knows with the bike market to continues to worsen :frown: may you can find some good deals on one. But 25K is a lot to swing for a motorcycle. I do have to quit looking at the Indian site..

As for the Indians, the ECU's are not proprietary and can be flashed buy the end user Dinojet has full ECU flash maps, not like the piggyback stuff out there for Harley's or metrics., so they have that going for them. During a weak moment I started visiting the Indian forms collecting data. And big suprise!!!!! they also run very lean and hot. The flash is the big thing with the Indian bikes.

And I think Yamaha's new bike is DOA especially for the price.

·
Administrator
13,915 Posts
Although other than the higher revs on the interstate the 950 does a great job. I was thinking the ECU flash would help lower the revs a little. I think a bigger engine would make it more comfortable but the ECU flash is way cheaper than buying a bigger bike.
if you can find a yamaha stryker owner to trade front pulleys with, you can get your revs down for just the cost of shipping. there are members on this forum who have done this and claim to lower the revs through each gear on their 950 by a 200-500 RPMs or so.

·
Registered
317 Posts

Nothing will lower the revs on the 950 unless the gearing is changed, and this is pretty much true on any motorcycle. Now as mentioned before you could get a Stryker Pulley to lower the revs a bit but If I recall it i around the 300 rpm range in reduction.

Just some info on the 950 vs 1300 vs Road Star. If thinking on going up to a 1300 (watercooled) engine, they are great, but really need the ECU flash, because water cooled bikes can be run leaner which results in better emissions, less power and more surging and chugging along. The 1300 is way worse in low speed engine performance, surging , chugging and just too damn lean stock. With the Fast it awakens into a beast.

I had a 950 for a few years, had air intake and slip on and cobra FMS and liked it a lot. But I am 6'3" and the bike just wasn't conformable on long rides. I then moved up to the 1300, fit me much better but the stock bike was a dog. I added the air intake, slip on and Ivan's flash, and when I rode it the first time I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

Road stars are great bikes and many Harley parts fit them as well.

·
Registered
317 Posts
How was the 950 not comfortable for long rides... in which way was it lacking?
Too cramped.

Here is a great website to show how you would fit on a motorcycle. It takes height and inseam to show your knee position and bend. The 1300 has more room by far than the 850 and even Harley street glide and Indian Chieftian.

Motorcycle Ergonomics

·
Registered
909 Posts
Too cramped...
Cramped... really? I'm short like you and have a 34" inseam and thankfully never suffered that cramped feeling on any of my bikes so I don't understand it. But then I ride solo so that probably has a lot to do with it, I have the freedom to move around any way I want on the bike.

***Added***

Hahaha... no way are the legs accurate... I should be able to mad-dunk with legs like that. The legs look right if I plug in a 30" inseam but I know that isn't correct. And what's with the perfectly good posture as though the figure has a stick up his arse?

According to M.E. my knees would be even more bent on an XVS1300A than on my 650 Custom. Apparently they don't take into account that with floorboards you have much more real estate to position your feet fore and aft and change knee bend.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,632 Posts
Had to see what it showed about me and my bike. No wonder they say I look like a little kid when I ride. ?? By the way, I can't reach the foot pegs on the engine guard.

Reactions: Diogenes415
1 - 20 of 26 Posts