Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am leaving in a few minutes to go on a 12 hour ride to Decatur Alabama to pick up my new SVTC. I'm nervously excited but will miss the best machine I have ever owned...08 GoldWing. If the Yamaha is half as reliable it will be fantastic.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,491 Posts
Congrats. Keep us up to date.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I am leaving in a few minutes to go on a 12 hour ride to Decatur Alabama to pick up my new SVTC. I'm nervously excited but will miss the best machine I have ever owned...08 GoldWing. If the Yamaha is half as reliable it will be fantastic.
WAY TO GO DUDE!! CONGRATS!!
Did you get the proven “faster” color... RED?
Glad to see you went all the way and got the SVTC. I think the extras are worth the $2k difference.

Now regarding all the “FEATURES”. Understand that the manual on the Infotainment system ALONE is 118 PAGES!
Take the time before hitting the road to figure out radio and basic NAV functions. After that, PLAN on spending some time sitting on it in the garage just familiarizing yourself with how to scroll through the different menus.

I’m really excited for you!
Remember!! For your first 600 miles the RPM’s need to be limited to NO MORE THAN 2500 (per the manual). That’ll get you crusing at about 65mph.
Once you hit 1k miles you can bring it up to 3500 RPM.

ENJOY! ENJOY! ENJOY!

REMEMBER TO SHORT SHIFT!!!! Takes practice! All your real torque is down LOW and doesn’t need to be revved like other engines.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Bucfan11 congrats on the new machine, enjoy and welcome to the family.
You will thoroughly enjoy the ride..
Have fun discovering all the features.
Just a few things to mention:
Be careful when putting down the kickstand, make sure that the stand is down and foot is clear before leaning the bike on its side. The guard on the kickstand could get caugh up in the boot heel and cause you and the bike to go over.

·
Registered
809 Posts
"Hearty Congrat's Rob....welcome to, The Greatest Show on Earth.....!!!!!"

The Yamaha Star Venture Trans Continental.....the most addictive thing/habit.... you can do to yourself.... :)

Joe

·
Registered
809 Posts
Oh...my wife and I loved our 2008 GL1800 Premium Sound/Nav.

Rob....since my and her first mile upon our SVTC...we haven't thought about it....(I guess that is sorta dissing the bike...but...)...we only think of WHERE we next want to point the Shark Head....for it wants to EAT UP, THEM, THAR, miles.... LOL!

Point...and eat....point and eat....it's our own personal Great White....and it feeds not of seals...but road miles....

You will have a warm spot in your heart for your box six...but, you won't miss it....aint' gonna be any buyer's remorse, once you move over to a Big Bertha large bore, V-Twin as smooth and classy as the SVTC has down below........nope....nope.....nope!

Joe

·
Registered
809 Posts
Glad to see you went all the way and got the SVTC. I think the extras are worth the $2k difference.

Now regarding all the “FEATURES”. Understand that the manual on the Infotainment system ALONE is 118 PAGES!
Take the time before hitting the road to figure out radio and basic NAV functions. After that, PLAN on spending some time sitting on it in the garage just familiarizing yourself with how to scroll through the different menus.

Remember!! For your first 600 miles the RPM’s need to be limited to NO MORE THAN 2500 (per the manual). That’ll get you crusing at about 65mph.

ENJOY! ENJOY! ENJOY!

REMEMBER TO SHORT SHIFT!!!! Takes practice! All your real torque is down LOW and doesn’t need to be revved like other engines.
Well stated, Tony, the entire post. Short Shifting...is the key....keep the bike down in the Grunt....where the SVTC LOVES IT! :) I shift at between 1,700 and 2,200 and never need to go past 2,200 at all. I learned that...had to do the mental adjustment on shift points, from my GL1800, and my present 2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S, with a red line of 10,000 rpm. It likes shifting at 4,000-5,000 rpm.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

ENJOY! ENJOY! ENJOY!

Well stated, Tony, the entire post. Short Shifting...is the key....keep the bike down in the Grunt....where the SVTC LOVES IT! /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif I shift at between 1,700 and 2,200 and never need to go past 2,200 at all. I learned that...had to do the mental adjustment on shift points, from my GL1800, and my present 2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S, with a red line of 10,000 rpm. It likes shifting at 4,000-5,000 rpm.
Thanks Joe!
I can’t wait to hear his report when he gets back from his innauguration ride. I wish I could see his HUGE grin that seems to be inherent when riding the SVTC. 😁
I hope he’s not shy getting a LOT of compliments, this bike just draws them in! 😁
BTW, I’m just about to cross 11k miles on Big Red! Looking forward to our Southeast Regional gathering here in September. Sure wish we could have a HUGE SVTC gathering!

·
Registered
691 Posts
I did up a long post yesterday but I had not signed in and when I signed in my entire post disappeared before I could post it.

This bike is awesome, follow the owners manual for break in and you will be fine long term, you will feel some engine heat during the break in period, but as the miles pile on you will also notice the heat gets less and less, I have ridden mine in 95 degree heat and engine heat has not been an issue, I feel more heat from the sun beating down on me than I feel heat from the engine.

All those short demo ride reviews complaining about heat, many were done on bikes that were in the break in period others were bikes that were in a Yamaha demo days where the bikes were ridden on designated routes and at speeds to keep the group together allowing the engines to build engine heat but they as well were still new motorcycles.

Comfort of this motorcycle is amazing, this is the first factory seat that works for me, it won't work for everyone but I think most will end up liking this seat.

I have decided on running 10w-40 Redline synthetic year round in my SVTC I am finding that down here in hot and muggy southwest Florida that this engine is like my old 2013 Victory which also had a gear driven primary, it likes the 10w-40 weight oil. So if you have a favorite synthetic oil brand I suggest running the 10w-40 weight. The 10w-40 weight dissipates heat through the engines oil cooler very well, I ran one oil change with Redline 20w-50 because I still had enough left over from my Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low and after running the 20w-50 and the 10w-40 both Redline brands the engine, primary, transmission and clutch run really smooth with the 10w-40 so I am not seeing the need to run the 20w-50 oil.

I did lots of Blackstone lab reports on my 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour and they all came back with very good results using the 10w-40 Redline oil. This Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental is responding the same as the Victory did very positive.

Fuel mileage, once break in is complete you have the ability to get some awesome fuel mileage from this motorcycle, I normally am in the mid 40's and see tanks as high as 47 MPG, my last tank running two up with the wife was 47.33 MPG. Now understand it has a lot to do with your right wrist also if you have head winds you will see low 40's but normal days with good weather mid 40's up to 47 MPG are not hard to do.

Sport mode and Tour mode are two different maps, ChiefGunner talked to Yamaha and they told him that Sport mode and Tour mode use different ECM maps with Sport mode adding timing and changing the fuel map so if you want to run around in Sport mode expect your mileage to drop, I have found I stay in Tour mode as there is more than enough power from this engine that I don't ever feel it is under powered.

Handling, this bike does not feel like a 963 pound motorcycle it feels much lighter and handles better than any other touring bike out there in my opinion. Low speed and parking lot speeds are very easy to handle on this bike, it will take you about three to five rides to master the slow speed parking lot speed handling. This bike is a dream with its handling, at speed it is very responsive again feeling like a much lighter motorcycle.

The exhaust system was tuned throughout the RPM range by Yamaha music and once you get around 4,000 miles on the motorcycle you should notice a little deeper sound out of the exhaust as it has has gone thorough several heat cycles and is broken in. I don't know if Yamaha uses a fiberglass packing or not in the mufflers but the mufflers do hold the catalytic converters in them. The nice part is when you are cruising down the road you are not listening to a loud exhaust mile after mile, I myself have grown tired of loud exhausts, my Harley Davidson had a set of Vance & Hines power dual headers and I put a set of Reinhart mufflers and while they sounded nice the noise gets old after a while. I am finding the stock mufflers produce that nice deep sound but are quite to the rider and passenger when riding.

The windshield, there are two ways to adjust the windshield, one is via the buttons on the left side of the fuel tank, I have found that those buttons will control the windshield to one of three positions, if you push the down button once the windshield goes all the way down, it you push the up button once the windshield goes all the way up, if you push the button a second time either when going up or down the windshield stops in the middle.

If you want to fine tune the position of the windshield you can use the buttons on the left stalk through the infotainment system and you can control the windshield all the way through its travel range either up or down.

Checking the oil, this is the one area that you have to be very careful about, one the bike has to be upright or you will get a wrong reading, the dipstick is to short to try and make a mark on it to check the oil on the side stand. Also if you start the bike up and let it run for 5 or six minutes then shut it off and wait a couple of minutes to check the oil it is likely going to show nothing on the dip stick and you will end up adding a quart of oil that is not needed and will have over filled the engine/primary/transmission/dry sump tank by one quart. I found I had to idle mine for no less than 10 minutes to get the oil flowing through the entire system and have it read on the dip stick properly. Some have decided to just check the oil after a ride so that the oil is at full operating temp and has circulated through out the entire system.

An oil change with a filter will take 5.6 quarts of oil, 3.2 quarts poured into the dry sump tank and the rest into the engine. There are three oil drain plugs two on the bottom left side of the engine case facing to left frame rail and one drain plug on the left side where the left frame rail bends upwards behind the kick stand in the dry sump oil line. I replaced the stock drain plugs with Dimple magnetic drain plugs a $105 dollar one time investment. Gives me a piece of mind and helps to remove any metal that is magnetic that the oil filter does not pick up.

Yamaha does the every other oil change oil filter replacement, I don't like that and choose to change my oil filter at each oil change. I found a good price on oil filters from Sims marine online.

The air filer is not hard to change and I bought six air filters online as well. I have already changed my air filter once at the 6,000 mile mark, it could have went longer but we have dump trucks that drop sand and dirt all over the road and due to that I decided to go ahead and change out the air filter early.

Spark plugs, I have decided to change over to the replacement NGK Iridium plugs, Iridium plugs are easier on the ignition coils over the life of the spark plug, a standard plug like the NGK these engines come with as they wear can require as much as 40% more power from the ignition coil to fire the spark plug, Iridium is a hard metal and does not wear and round off like a standard copper core tipped plug does so they don't tax the ignition coil over time like a standard plug does.

Well that should start you off with plenty of information to soak up, enjoy the new motorcycle, it is one awesome ride.

·
Registered
691 Posts
If you decide on the Dimple drain plugs these are the sizes you need:

If you want to do the Dimple drain plugs the M14x1.5x12 would be a direct replacement in the crankcase times two, being as the service manual only lists the drain plugs as being M14x1.5 with no length listed the dry sump drain plug is M14x1.5x16mm.

Metric Thread Magnetic Drain Plugs

Just scroll down to the M14x1.5x12mm and the M14x1.5x16mm.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
If you decide on the Dimple drain plugs these are the sizes you need:

If you want to do the Dimple drain plugs the M14x1.5x12 would be a direct replacement in the crankcase times two, being as the service manual only lists the drain plugs as being M14x1.5 with no length listed the dry sump drain plug is M14x1.5x16mm.

Metric Thread Magnetic Drain Plugs

Just scroll down to the M14x1.5x12mm and the M14x1.5x16mm.
I went with the Dimple plugs AND added “Filter Mags” for an added layer of protection. You should really check these out. Between the Dimples & the Filter Mag, NOTHING metallic will be able to circulate in your engine!
http://www.shopfiltermag.com/

·
Registered
809 Posts
Thanks Joe!
I can’t wait to hear his report when he gets back from his innauguration ride. I wish I could see his HUGE grin that seems to be inherent when riding the SVTC. 😁
I hope he’s not shy getting a LOT of compliments, this bike just draws them in! 😁
BTW, I’m just about to cross 11k miles on Big Red! Looking forward to our Southeast Regional gathering here in September. Sure wish we could have a HUGE SVTC gathering!
11,000! Wow...well, I hope to pack on another 2 to 3 grand before Santa Snow sprinkles down....and yes folks...it's coming to the Great Lakes, sooner than y'all think...almost mid August...dang....I got the bike in the first week of May...and where has this Summer gone!?!??!?!?? Geez...

As for a gathering of the Clan....I'd give that another two years ahead, because I clearly see, and predicted (rubbing fingernails on chest, lol) that yes, because of the newness and the cost of this ride...it would be a slow uptake...a hybrid...half GoldWing metric luxury tour/half American'esque combined in one ride, but as I thought it would...naysayer's aside, this forum is going to grow with actual owners, bringing back their riding adventures and experiences.

BTW, have you seen that we current owners...aren't BITCHING about the bike...or asking 'what to do, or have you done, since ***THIS*** has fallen off...or stopped working, or, or, or...., nope...we are typing of where we have pointed the Shark Head, and where next it is going to be pointed. Most forums are driven by people asking questions of how can I overcome, or fix ***this***. We have, since American kicked the engine over....are talking about miles past the rear wheel. That is a marked difference from any other current motorcycle forum out there. This forum is turning into a wonderful Travelogue Forum, by we that have been the first adopters.

Tony, the first time I laid eyes on the SVTC...with that actually being the YouTube reveal of it...and then later at the dealership...man...I was done like dinner! I had a show-room-still-looking, Gl1800 in the garage, ....but was DONE LIKE DINNER! The bike looks fantastic, rides fantastic, simply ***IS*** fantastic...and the gas mileage? For a bike of this size, weight...mind blowing!!!! Constantly getting 43-44 mpg, and TWO UP....even with Girl Stuff choking the bike, lol. My wife....my wife....is in packing-the-kitchen-sink, 'heaven'. I let her...what the hell....the bike and engine torque laughs at our weight, and the twenty pairs of shoes and sandals...the fourteen dresses (in case we go to somewhere nice) and the 34 pair of pants...what are they called?...the ones that go only down to the mid calf....anyway....a HAPPY man...is one that has a HAPPY wife....and this bike guys...this bike...guarantees you a HAPPY WIFE. You have no idea, how important that sales feature is....Yamaha should have a printed card sitting on the seat...that this motorcycle is certified,---> Happy Wife, HAPPY Life, as a 'feature set'.

Ok...ready to go into the shower...back Charlotte out of her sleep-den....and let that Shark Head head out towards that school of miles....Charlotte needs to be fed....(large grin)....for...we have so many places to travel, and so little time.... BTW...loving the performance of the YamaLube full syn, 15W50. Engine, quiet as a mouse, and having dipped the stick, no level drop, each every-seven-days dip n' read. The dealer put it half way between the upper and lower lines, and it has stayed right there....this engine, uses no oil!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I did up a long post yesterday but I had not signed in and when I signed in my entire post disappeared before I could post it.

This bike is awesome, follow the owners manual for break in and you will be fine long term, you will feel some engine heat during the break in period, but as the miles pile on you will also notice the heat gets less and less, I have ridden mine in 95 degree heat and engine heat has not been an issue, I feel more heat from the sun beating down on me than I feel heat from the engine.

All those short demo ride reviews complaining about heat, many were done on bikes that were in the break in period others were bikes that were in a Yamaha demo days where the bikes were ridden on designated routes and at speeds to keep the group together allowing the engines to build engine heat but they as well were still new motorcycles.

Comfort of this motorcycle is amazing, this is the first factory seat that works for me, it won't work for everyone but I think most will end up liking this seat.

I have decided on running 10w-40 Redline synthetic year round in my SVTC I am finding that down here in hot and muggy southwest Florida that this engine is like my old 2013 Victory which also had a gear driven primary, it likes the 10w-40 weight oil. So if you have a favorite synthetic oil brand I suggest running the 10w-40 weight. The 10w-40 weight dissipates heat through the engines oil cooler very well, I ran one oil change with Redline 20w-50 because I still had enough left over from my Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low and after running the 20w-50 and the 10w-40 both Redline brands the engine, primary, transmission and clutch run really smooth with the 10w-40 so I am not seeing the need to run the 20w-50 oil.

I did lots of Blackstone lab reports on my 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour and they all came back with very good results using the 10w-40 Redline oil. This Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental is responding the same as the Victory did very positive.

Fuel mileage, once break in is complete you have the ability to get some awesome fuel mileage from this motorcycle, I normally am in the mid 40's and see tanks as high as 47 MPG, my last tank running two up with the wife was 47.33 MPG. Now understand it has a lot to do with your right wrist also if you have head winds you will see low 40's but normal days with good weather mid 40's up to 47 MPG are not hard to do.

Sport mode and Tour mode are two different maps, ChiefGunner talked to Yamaha and they told him that Sport mode and Tour mode use different ECM maps with Sport mode adding timing and changing the fuel map so if you want to run around in Sport mode expect your mileage to drop, I have found I stay in Tour mode as there is more than enough power from this engine that I don't ever feel it is under powered.

Handling, this bike does not feel like a 963 pound motorcycle it feels much lighter and handles better than any other touring bike out there in my opinion. Low speed and parking lot speeds are very easy to handle on this bike, it will take you about three to five rides to master the slow speed parking lot speed handling. This bike is a dream with its handling, at speed it is very responsive again feeling like a much lighter motorcycle.

The exhaust system was tuned throughout the RPM range by Yamaha music and once you get around 4,000 miles on the motorcycle you should notice a little deeper sound out of the exhaust as it has has gone thorough several heat cycles and is broken in. I don't know if Yamaha uses a fiberglass packing or not in the mufflers but the mufflers do hold the catalytic converters in them. The nice part is when you are cruising down the road you are not listening to a loud exhaust mile after mile, I myself have grown tired of loud exhausts, my Harley Davidson had a set of Vance & Hines power dual headers and I put a set of Reinhart mufflers and while they sounded nice the noise gets old after a while. I am finding the stock mufflers produce that nice deep sound but are quite to the rider and passenger when riding.

The windshield, there are two ways to adjust the windshield, one is via the buttons on the left side of the fuel tank, I have found that those buttons will control the windshield to one of three positions, if you push the down button once the windshield goes all the way down, it you push the up button once the windshield goes all the way up, if you push the button a second time either when going up or down the windshield stops in the middle.

If you want to fine tune the position of the windshield you can use the buttons on the left stalk through the infotainment system and you can control the windshield all the way through its travel range either up or down.

Checking the oil, this is the one area that you have to be very careful about, one the bike has to be upright or you will get a wrong reading, the dipstick is two short to try and make a mark on it to check the oil on the side stand. Also if you start the bike up and let it run for 5 or six minutes then shut it off and wait a couple of minutes to check the oil it is likely show nothing on the dip stick and you will end up adding a quart of oil that is not needed and will have over filled the engine/primary/transmission/dry sump tank by one quart. I found I had to idle mine for no less than 10 minutes to get the oil flowing through the entire system and have it read on the dip stick properly. Some have decided to just check the oil after a ride so that the oil is at full operating temp and has circulated through out the entire system.

An oil change with a filter will take 5.6 quarts of oil, 3.2 quarts poured into the dry sump tank and the rest into the engine. There are three oil drain plugs two on the bottom left side of the engine case facing to left frame rail and one drain plug on the left side where the left frame rail bends upwards behind the kick stand in the dry sump oil line. I replaced the stock drain plugs with Dimple magnetic drain plugs a one time $105 dollar one time investment. Gives me a piece of mind and helps to remove any metal that is magnetic that the oil filter does not pick up.

Yamaha does the every other oil change oil filter replacement, I don't like that and choose to change my oil filter at each oil change. I found a good price on oil filters from Sims marine online.

The air filer is not hard to change and I bought six air filters online as well. I have already changed my air filter once at the 6,000 mile mark, it could have went longer but we have dump trucks that drop sand and dirt all over the road and due to that I decided to go ahead and change out the air filter early.

Spark plugs, I have decided to change over to the replacement NGK Iridium plugs, Iridium plugs are easier on the ignition coils over the life of the spark plug, a standard plug like the NGK these engines come with as they wear can require as much as 40% more power from the ignition coil to fire the spark plug, Iridium is a hard metal and does not wear and round off like a standard copper core tipped plug does so they don't tax the ignition coil over time like a standard plug does.

Well that should start you off with plenty of information to soak up, enjoy the new motorcycle, it is one awesome ride.
Great post, Bill...your wish to help, is fueled by not only your personality, but by having such a great owner experience since delivery date. That drives the posts we all are typing...if it truly is a great experience, man...we are motivated to want to share that. In reading your posts...only the blind would not see that, or ones...that don't want to BE reading that, LOL. There are some...of that ilk....lol!

Cheers,

Fellow fantastic SVTC ownership experience, poster....

Joe

·
Registered
691 Posts
11,000! Wow...well, I hope to pack on another 2 to 3 grand before Santa Snow sprinkles down....and yes folks...it's coming to the Great Lakes, sooner than y'all think...almost mid August...dang....I got the bike in the first week of May...and where has this Summer gone!?!??!?!?? Geez...

As for a gathering of the Clan....I'd give that another two years ahead, because I clearly see, and predicted (rubbing fingernails on chest, lol) that yes, because of the newness and the cost of this ride...it would be a slow uptake...a hybrid...half GoldWing metric luxury tour/half American'esque combined in one ride, but as I thought it would...naysayer's aside, this forum is going to grow with actual owners, bringing back their riding adventures and experiences.

BTW, have you seen that we current owners...aren't BITCHING about the bike...or asking 'what to do, or have you done, since ***THIS*** has fallen off...or stopped working, or, or, or...., nope...we are typing of where we have pointed the Shark Head, and where next it is going to be pointed. Most forums are driven by people asking questions of how can I overcome, or fix ***this***. We have, since American kicked the engine over....are talking about miles past the rear wheel. That is a marked difference from any other current motorcycle forum out there. This forum is turning into a wonderful Travelogue Forum, by we that have been the first adopters.

Tony, the first time I laid eyes on the SVTC...with that actually being the YouTube reveal of it...and then later at the dealership...man...I was done like dinner! I had a show-room-still-looking, Gl1800 in the garage, ....but was DONE LIKE DINNER! The bike looks fantastic, rides fantastic, simply ***IS*** fantastic...and the gas mileage? For a bike of this size, weight...mind blowing!!!! Constantly getting 43-44 mpg, and TWO UP....even with Girl Stuff choking the bike, lol. My wife....my wife....is in packing-the-kitchen-sink, 'heaven'. I let her...what the hell....the bike and engine torque laughs at our weight, and the twenty pairs of shoes and sandals...the fourteen dresses (in case we go to somewhere nice) and the 34 pair of pants...what are they called?...the ones that go only down to the mid calf....anyway....a HAPPY man...is one that has a HAPPY wife....and this bike guys...this bike...guarantees you a HAPPY WIFE. You have no idea, how important that sales feature is....Yamaha should have a printed card sitting on the seat...that this motorcycle is certified,---> Happy Wife, HAPPY Life, as a 'feature set'.

Ok...ready to go into the shower...back Charlotte out of her sleep-den....and let that Shark Head head out towards that school of miles....Charlotte needs to be fed....(large grin)....for...we have so many places to travel, and so little time.... BTW...loving the performance of the YamaLube full syn, 15W50. Engine, quiet as a mouse, and having dipped the stick, no level drop, each every-seven-days dip n' read. The dealer put it half way between the upper and lower lines, and it has stayed right there....this engine, uses no oil!
Outside of ChiefGunner's issue I don't know of any problems but his I am putting down to the disassembly/reassembly at the factory just not lubing that cam lobe properly after fixing the the production line issue.

That to me says a lot about Yamaha and the quality of their products that these bikes have been very reliable out of the gate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts