Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the starter clutch because the bike would only make a whirring noise when pressing the start button. Things seem to be turning, but not very well. I have fully charged the rather new battery. Here's the video of what happens when I try to start it.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
What is the voltage at the starter when you try to start? My guess is that your battery is toast. There isn't enough juice to even turn the motor over. Either that or the starter needs to be cleaned out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, so during the starter clutch replacement, I rebuilt the starter, cleaned all the contacts I could and put some grease inside. I have about 4.5 volts at the starter under load.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If your battery is fully charged then its had it. Have it load tested and I think you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, at least that's a lot easier than changing a starter clutch. That job sucks btw

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
If your battery is fully charged then its had it. Have it load tested and I think you will see what I mean.
I agree!! Under 10V under load and the battery is shot.....under 5V it's totally gone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
battery failed load test. I got a new battery. Same exact behavior. I didn't even film it because the same exact thing is happening.

·
Registered
491 Posts
battery failed load test. I got a new battery. Same exact behavior. I didn't even film it because the same exact thing is happening.
Interesting.. Since you say you cleaned the starter, I'd go over all of the connections between the battery and the starter again, make sure all of your grounds are nice and clean (good contact with bare metal) and that you didn't accidentally cut anything. Also, if possibly, you could try jumping directly to the starter and seeing if you get the same behavior..

Good Luck!

eGo

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I agree with jump start it. I know it's a long shot but I have heard of buying batteries off the shelf that were bad.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Did you charge the new battery? Batteries are not fully charged off the shelf.

If the voltage checks low at the starter, go to the battery terminals and check it there. If the voltage is good at the battery and bad at the starter then there is most likely a bad connection somewhere. If the voltage is low at the battery terminals then either the battery is discharged or bad.

LoupGarou

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would take the hot lead off the starter, press start, and check for 12v. If 12v is present, I would start looking closely at the starter motor winding resistence. If it isn't, you could jump the starter from your car batt. If the starter works that eliminates the starter motor and I'd check every inch of the red wire leading to the starter from the battery for worn places where it could short to ground. Good luck, Wavelength.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Keep that new battery on charge or it will be toast too while you'll trying to figure out where your bad ground, corroded terminal, crappy relay, loose connection is.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sparkn, That's good advise. Meant to say that myself, because that could be the reason for the failure of the 'reasonably' new battery in the first place. Wavelength.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright. I have been fiddling around. Yes I did fully charge the new battery even though the shop had done it on 5/26/15. I rebuilt the starter again paying more attention to cleaning it (thank you, sick mick) and shims/grounds (thank you, clymers). I removed the starter and jumped it with truck battery (engine off). It turned great. I installed the starter and tried jumping it with the truck battery again. All I got was some melting of the terminal on the starter. However, using the battery, I briefly hit the start button (because there was no oil in the case). It turned over with ease maybe 5 times. The problem seemed to be resolved so I put everything back together. I hit the starter button 3 times for about 5 to 10 seconds full 'choke'
before I took this video. You can see by even the 4th attempt (which is the first one in this video), the battery seems weak. I don't believe I screwed up the timing, but there seems to be a non regular interval when the engine turns over. (probably a separate issue).

Yes, I agree, I probably fried the first relatively new battery during the fix. I will keep this one on the charger before I do the same to it.

I will check the wires between the starter terminal and the battery positive.

Wavelength, I will check the voltage at the hot lead tomorrow when the battery is charged. I did notice the starter motor winding resistance would change between testing. How much resistance should there be? It sometimes won't turn by hand. I think I am frying batteries because the starter is hard to turn?

I really do appreciate everyone's input. Have a great holiday. I'll be sitting under a shop light :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wire to the starter looks just fine. I have 12 volts at the hot lead to the starter. It doesn't matter than I don't have the shifter pedal and clutch cable attached right?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts