Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i've been on here a little while now, hopefully i helped somebody somewhere or at least made an interesting post.
for over 2 years while riding my 650 and 1100 i dreamed of the day i got me a Rocket III...
and now i have one, and am selling the 1100 :eek: so i probably wont be on here too much anymore.

thanks for your time :)

to this

·
Registered
545 Posts
I was wondering what happened to Tawny Kitaen.......

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
You can still hang out and let us know how the rocket treats you.That looks like a rocket.Congrats on the new scoot. You will be missed.

·
Registered
570 Posts
So pretty much you quadrupled your power lol

My MSF instructor had one, those Rocket IIIs are pretty crazy, they sound nice too

·
Registered
545 Posts
Flush, do let us know about your experiences with the new rocket. As far-fetched as it may seem, there may be one or two among us who will be contemplating a similar move one day, so your input may still be of value.

Triumph is a classy brand, sort of the "anti-V-Twin" if you will. I see them all over the place......

Really like that new Steve McQueen bike too. Too bad it's a limited edition.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wow Rocket-man!
I think it's gonna be a long long time, Till touch down brings you round here again!

That bike looks like it's got everything but the kitchen sink packed in there.
Love that big flat-screen bolted to the front - Just don't try to watch while riding :D

Really - Best of luck with it!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Flush, do let us know about your experiences with the new rocket. As far-fetched as it may seem, there may be one or two among us who will be contemplating a similar move one day, so your input may still be of value.

Triumph is a classy brand, sort of the "anti-V-Twin" if you will. I see them all over the place......

Really like that new Steve McQueen bike too. Too bad it's a limited edition.
going from the 1100 to the Rocket was like going from the 650 to the 1100, only times 2.

for the last few weeks since i got it i hadn't gone past 3500rpm.
today on a spin i decided that max power had to be hit for the first time....
nailed it in 2nd and about 50-60mph the rear broke traction and whipped back and forth a bit :eek:
i used to do that on the 1100 in 1st while taking a bit of corner, only time i could do it with that apart from a static burnout.

anyway, i dont like to admit it after 2 years on the 1100 but the R-III is noticeably more comfortable for me. im more upright/forward, and feet in mid position so my lower back isnt stretched out and im on the meat instead of the tailbone of me arse.

i took the 1100 to work one day instead as it was icy (wouldnt be able to lift the R-III :eek:) and it felt so small and gay :rolleyes: however i felt more comfortable driving it around town as its like a mountain bike compared to the R-III in terms of weight and real slow speed maneuvers.
the R-III is an interstate highway animal, it just pulls and pulls. its cramped and subdued in urban areas, unlike the 1100.
unlike every other bike i've ridden, the R-III doesn't need to be downshifted when going from interstate highway cruise to fast overtake, 5th gear rollons from 80mph are as fast as 4th gear ones, only with lower revs so it appears effortless.

although the brakes on the roadster are twin 4-pot Nissins up front, single 2-pot Brembo on the rear, Nissin ABS all round and HH pads...... the 1100's brakes are not really noticeably different :cool:
then again i haven't had to really test the stopping power on the rocket yet.

again the 1100 wins around town with the suspension, its soft and speed ramps in residential areas are way softer than the R-III (which jerks you about a bit on ramps).
however on open road the stiff sportbike-derived R-III suspension wins, as the bike travels straight but the wheels move up and down, making a nice cruising experience with solid feedback handling.

having longer gears/lower revs per same speed (3000rpm on 1100 is about 57mph iirc, but is 80mph on the R-III) and 33% more bangs per rev means less vibration, so you dont lose feeling as quickly in the extremities.
the downside of the 33% more bangs though is that the v-twin sounds like it's revving lower.

so despite my 1-bike philosophy, im thinking i should have a winter hack for icy days when im not sure if i should even be on a bike... but i'm still selling the 1100 come spring for €3000+, and buy a little 90's 600 sports for €1000 or less for icy roads to work :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nice bike. A co-workers brother brought his by the other day, pretty smooth looking bike. The power of it makes my Raider seem weak!!!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
FYB, nice write-up. I’ve been coveting your bike since I saw the pictures and searched around on the power it puts out. Wow!

Since I’ve been riding for just over a year (but with 8000 miles already), perhaps the R3 is a little too much power for me right now. I can take some solace in your comment that the “1100 wins around town” since that’s where I do 95% of my riding. Maybe I’ll go get an intake kit for my 1100.

Again, thanks for the write-up and sharing. Beautiful bike.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FYB, nice write-up. I’ve been coveting your bike since I saw the pictures and searched around on the power it puts out. Wow!

Since I’ve been riding for just over a year (but with 8000 miles already), perhaps the R3 is a little too much power for me right now. I can take some solace in your comment that the “1100 wins around town” since that’s where I do 95% of my riding. Maybe I’ll go get an intake kit for my 1100.

Again, thanks for the write-up and sharing. Beautiful bike.
no problemo :) thought nobody would read it :eek:

if you ride almost exclusively in town, the 1100 is the winner imo.
despite being 6'3 weightlifter the RIII is a bit tiresome with city traffic due to the weight and very limited speed & space. the strong clutch means sore clutch hand very quickly in congested town.

the 1100 is so much easier to toddle around town on and there's plenty of poke in 1st & 2nd for any quick acceleration needs in town.

you could get a rocket, it will only go as fast as you make it.

i had to wait 2.5 years to get the rocket, i felt ready for it ages ago but still kind of glad i had to wait so i had the experience and restraint to respect it.

as for intake kits, i did the maxair twin K&N and rejet job on the 1100, intake sounds fantastic. the grunt turns into a deep growl around 3/4000rpm :cool:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Congratulations on the Rocket Flush. Do hang around as you've had some good input and I've enjoyed reading your posts. Ride safe.

:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts