Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought......

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950190000P

without doing any research because a buddy said he would sell it to me for $40. Wasn't until I brought it home that I realized the motor of the 950 hangs below the frame.

Does anyone lift their 950? How do you do it?

Reactions: TheGribble

·
Administrator
14,061 Posts
i looked into this lift when picking one out for my 950.

Minimum Height: 5-1/8 in.

i've had my bike lowered, and the lowest part of my frame near the kickstand when at rest is just over 4". just about the lowest clearance i could find on any lift was about 4.5". when my bike is level and not resting on the kickstand, the bottom of the frame is going to be a little over 5" for me. so i went with a lift that drops down to 4.5" which should give me enough clearance, but i just bought it so i don't have it yet to know for sure. will let you know later if it fits and how i work it

·
Registered
621 Posts
Does anyone lift their 950? How do you do it?
I have this lift:

which looks pretty similar to the one you picked up. I don't know the clearance of either of these lifts, but my bike isn't lowered, so it's never been a problem for me to get the lift under the bike.

I had the same concern initially about the engine extending below the rails, but the engine is a stressed member of the frame, and as Yamaha reassured me, there's no problem with pushing up on the bottom of the engine to lift the bike, even for long-term storage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Stupid Question time

Why are yall lifting the bikes? Wouldn't the bike stands work for removal of tires?? Doesn't the bike get all squirrely when yall lift it up?? Seems to me i would be worried about it falling off onto me??

Show me the way..

2009 1300 V-Star

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the same concern initially about the engine extending below the rails, but the engine is a stressed member of the frame, and as Yamaha reassured me, there's no problem with pushing up on the bottom of the engine to lift the bike, even for long-term storage.
That's good to know. But it would still scare me to death I think. But I guess yamaha would know.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
The motor is not part of the frame. the lower case may hold the wight of the bike under ideal conditions. But one fast move and you could have oil on the garage floor . I would keep look for some way with out jacking the motor.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The motor is not part of the frame. the lower case may hold the wight of the bike under ideal conditions.
Okay, yes and no. From the model's web page, under "Key Features":
The double-cradle steel main frame offers an ideal rigidity balance in the longitudinal, lateral, and torsional directions, using the engine as a stressed member.
So, strictly speaking, the engine is not part of the frame. But the crankcase is used to accomplish some of the frame's job.

But one fast move and you could have oil on the garage floor . I would keep look for some way with out jacking the motor.
The jack that I bought comes with a pair of ratcheting straps to hold the bike steady. I suppose I should have mentioned earlier that when I use my lift, it's always a slow, deliberate process to make sure I have the weight of the bike balanced well on the lift. No work is ever done without the straps in place, and you should always double- and triple-check every move when you're working on your bike anyway. Mistakes can be costly, especially if you find them while you're riding on the highway.

And again, Yamaha has assured me that it's perfectly safe to lift the bike this way, and I've done it many times with no problems. Again, I'm very careful every time.

I suppose if you're doing some work that requires the engine to come out, then this would not be an option. Then again, if you're doing work that requires the engine to come out on a bike that can't possibly be more than two years old, finding the right lift is the least of your worries.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lifting the VSTAR 950

I'm interested in knowing the front to back balance point that you found for the lift. I just bought a Larin hydraulic lift. the two rubber coated brackets are 12" long, and 13" from outside to outside. The one closest to the back has to be under the rear suspension bracket to reach a balance point. Not good. I think I wasted my money. What's the dimensions on your lift? a pic of your placement would be helpful.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've got the same jack as the craftsman one (though mine doesn't say craftsman). On the Virago 920 (same setup and same issue) I just made a frame cradle that clamps to the lift pads.

I have a home made adjustable cradle that handles most of my bikes the same way, but wouldn't clear the 920, so it now has it's own. Took about 30 minutes a welder, some baler belting as padding and a little thought.

·
Administrator
14,061 Posts
this is the lift i went with. just recently put it together. minimum height is 4.5".

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capacity-atv-motorcycle-lift-2792.html

easy to find these on ebay for less. paid about $80 for mine. since my bike is lowered, i had to wiggle and squeeze the lift pads under the frame just a tad, but it fits like a glove. some photos of the lift in action.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but it speaks exactly to what I am looking for.

I'm looking for a lift for a 2012 V-Star 950, and am looking for suggestions on what to purchase.

Also, any help by way of photos or descriptions of exactly where to place the lift under the bike, and advice for strapping would be extremely welcome.

(Looks like Bevo1981 did post photos a ways back, but it's just a thumbnail from photobucket saying to update account to enable 3rd party hosting - I assume they are referring to Bevos account and not mine)

·
Super Moderator
7,229 Posts
I bought a harbor freights lift and added exhaust clamps on each side of the lift to anchor the straps when strapping my 950 down. I got a great deal on it and have had it over a year with no issues so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,993 Posts
From my experience none of the motorcycle lift jacks work perfect with the Vstar. I've for a 2001 Vstar 1100. I know the two bikes are different but the use of the jack is the same. I've got a standard (cheap, under $50 on sale with coupon.) Harbor Freight jack. Here is the is regular price.

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/new-owner-must-do-list/using-a-motorcycle-jack-lift

My bike is lowered 1 inch and the jack does not want to slide under. Easy fix, I have a 2x6 about 3 feet long I ride the front tire up on. Now the jack fits under the bike. Now to fix the engine is lower than frame. Here is the fix:

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/new-owner-must-do-list/using-a-motorcycle-jack-lift

As far as balancing the bike. Put jack under bike. Have a helper the first time you do this.Jack it up. Does it seem front heavy? Move the jack some. Keep moving the jack fore and aft till you find that sweet balance spot. I got a silver marks a lot and put line on bottom of frame. No one will ever see the mark, except you. Once I found the balance spot the bike is extremely solid. I've had both tires off at the same time without any issue. No, you can't sit on the bike like this but mine is very stable. I do not ratchet mine down. I did at first, but after many uses of my jack it just is not needed. I do not leave the bike on the jack any longer than needed. I would not use this setup for long time but works great for repair. Forgot to mention when you pull bike up on 2x6 put a 1x4 under kick stand so the bike won't lean too far. Be safe and it will work.

Reactions: Keith Post

·
Registered
446 Posts
Mine isn't lowered, but the jack just wouldn't clear the kickstand and foot brackets. I just rolled the bike up straight, and had lots of room. The jack is foot operated, so was easy enough to raise the bike while holding it up.

I haven't moved the whole bike off the ground yet, as I was just doing the front, and set the front bar under the foot brackets and the back one just missed the engine. It held it solid, but with the back tire still on the ground. Lowering it scared me, as it leaned really far, but I figured out that was just my angle I was looking at, and it was going onto the kickstand properly. Just be very careful about lowering.

It works nice to jack up my daughters 180lb bike too :) but looks more comical with a jack as large as the bike. But made my work on changing both her tires, break fluids, carb, and chain simple.

·
Registered
107 Posts
From my experience none of the motorcycle lift jacks work perfect with the Vstar. I've for a 2001 Vstar 1100. I know the two bikes are different but the use of the jack is the same. I've got a standard (cheap, under $50 on sale with coupon.) Harbor Freight jack. Here is the is regular price.

Lesblank: was the first link supposed to be to the harbor freight jack? Both links in your post go to the same place.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,993 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts