Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
When I want my bike to stand up I used a couple blocks of wood. Two are either 5 x 5 or 6x6, the other two are 2x4's both about a foot long.

I put the square block on the ground, a two by 4 flat on top of it, and with the bike on the kickstand slide it under the bike frame on the other side (not touching yet)

put the 2nd set behind the kick stand, grab the left handle grip and the rear fender, lean the bike to the right onto the one set of blocks, and push the 2nd set under the frame with my toe.

The wheels are still on the ground. This is great for working on the bike (plugs, seat, valve timing....)

If I need the tires off the ground get two more 2 x 4's or 1 x 4's, sit on the bike and lean it left to push one under the right side, and right to push it under the left side.

Its very easy to 'tilt' the bike up an inch or so at a time enough to get the tires off the ground.

The only short coming with a classic, to get the tires off you either have to lift the bike WAY up in the air (dont do it this way) or take the fenders off to get the wheels out from under them. Not an issue with the custom versions.

·
Registered
107 Posts
When I want my bike to stand up I used a couple blocks of wood. Two are either 5 x 5 or 6x6, the other two are 2x4's both about a foot long. ...
That might work - worth a try.

Reactions: Keith Post

·
Registered
446 Posts
I would trust the wood :) as long as it is termite and carpenter ant free.

Now getting it onto and off the wood is a totally different story. If I was working on the bike and planned to leave it there for >2 days or so, I would lower it onto something. Jackstands, wood, then when finished use the jack to take it back down.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,981 Posts
The Harbor Freight one I bought collapses to 5.5 inches and will stand on end. You can take handle off for easy storage. I keep mine collapsed down and sits under my work bench.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I joined a couple of 2 X 4's together and made a ramp about 20 inches long. Made two of these with a stopper on the ends so the bike wouldn't continue and roll right off the ends. Placed one under the front of each wheel and just drive up onto them. Another 2 X 4 serves to rest the kickstand on. This gives the bike a higher clearance to get the jack underneath.

Now the original jack I bought didn't line up under the bike to my liking so I went to my local fastener company and bought 6 inch bolts (with the proper tensile strength to hold the bike). Next I sawed off the original bolts and removed the padded stand parts and placed them on the outside of the lift putting in spacers to line up the pads to the spots I wanted on the bike. The front pad now rests on the metal attaching the floorboards to the bike and the back pad sits on the cross member at the rear. Bike balances perfectly. This is the third year I've used this method and it works great.

·
Registered
107 Posts
While I was intrigued by the "stack of lumber" approach, I decided getting the bike on and off would just be too awkward. I picked up a lift from Harbor Freight today. As expected, the engine is sitting lower than the frame -- which offers a unique challenge. In doing some research, I found references to the "jackerjig", by www.LazeDawgCustoms.com. Although not an inexpensive option - I think is probably the best/safest choice. On their site they make note of sales resuming in January of 2015, so I don't know if they are still around or not. I sent off an email to them asking - hopefully they are around.

I'm going to also post a 'want to buy' ad in the appropriate forum for the "JackerJig.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know this is an older post, but that Laze dawg company is no longer in business..

Been thinking of using some old Hockey pucks to keep the harbor frieght Jack I have stand up the bike using only the frame and not the bottom of the crank case.

Some people have mentioned its a stressed memeber of the bike but I am still nervous.

Bevo I saw you had reposted a picture but couldn't tell if you used the bottom of the engine or had this jig set up from Laze dawgs.

Best,

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well I have a J & S lift for my Vstar Tourer and like its stability, as well as, move-ability. I understand I can add attachment to lift after I trike my bike. That will be an advantage to me next season.

Hope I could be helpful. Ride safe and enjoy~YammyV

·
Registered
564 Posts
below is an earlier post showing a lift mod for my 650

purchased a used lift on craigslist for my 650, only to find it barely fit. Support channels were just long enough to fit the width of the tube frame members. It did not feel very secure with round metal tubes just sitting on flat steel channels and the channels were so close together that they hit the lower part of the engine before the tube members. So I cut some half round slots in wood for the tube frame to sit in and slotted the middle to clear the engine, then secured them to each steel channel. works perfectly and bike now sits very stable on lift. will include image in my album

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Been thinking of using some old Hockey pucks to keep the harbor frieght Jack I have stand up the bike using only the frame and not the bottom of the crank case.

Some people have mentioned its a stressed [member] of the bike but I am still nervous.

Bevo I saw you had reposted a picture but couldn't tell if you used the bottom of the engine or had this jig set up from Laze dawgs.

Best,

i just use the harbor freight lift. question for everyone - is it really hurting anything if the lift is putting more pressure on the bottom of the engine case versus the frame? i would think it's even safer to do so for the 950 since the right side of the A frame is meant to be removed anyway during key parts of maintenance and service like i had to do to obtain access to change out my clutch.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,981 Posts
I've jacked my 1100 many times just like you. Took tires off and let sit for a few hours taking the tires to get changed. I never felt I was putting undue stress on the engine. Don't know if many here have seen the case split for an engine rebuild but the bottom of the case is very thick. On some bikes the engine case is actually used as a frame piece.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The main reason I am lifting it is to store it over the winter.. Keep the tires off the ground. Easier to put flush against the wall. Etc,
I might just use the lift normally (no adapter or rubber mounts) and have the bottom of the engine hold the bike.. What Bevo said makes sense about taking half the frame off to access certain things clutch related. How else would you hold the bike up with half the frame missing? I am not hearing anyone rush to this thread warning me "dont do it!"

fingers crossed the "stressed member" theory is right!

·
Registered
13 Posts
A simple cheap solution to get the back wheel up off of the ground using 2x8 or stacked 2x4 lumber.

There are many variations on this theme on YouTube.

1. YouTube: Single 2x8 with pole
2. YouTube: Doubled 2x8 with 2x4 lever
3. YouTube: Built up lift using 2x4 with 2x4 lever

I built one many years ago for a small cruiser using doubled 2x8 with a threaded pipe and a threaded pipe flange for a lever. Worked well for four years until I bought a Versys and track stands. For winter storage I used the wood lift and a piece of plywood under the front wheel to get it off the concrete.

I have a Craftsman lift. Haven't used it on my 2013 950 Tourer. It doesn't span the rails. Maybe over the winter I will build a jig for a better fit. In the meantime, I am going to build a wood lift with some scraps I have lying around.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I used a Craftsman lift for a bit and was never comfortable with it, even with the bike secured.
So I got one of these.
Around $300 with a coupon / sale promo at Harbor Freight about 6 years ago. Really helps this old fart when it comes time to work on the bike.

·
Super Moderator
7,229 Posts
I have the same lift and did a few mods to it. Works pretty well and gets the job done for me and keeps me from having to bend over too much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have the same lift and did a few mods to it. Works pretty well and gets the job done for me and keeps me from having to bend over too much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here with the bending. I can get down on one knee or sit on a milk crate. The getting up is the hard part.

My table is as it came, what mods did you do?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts