Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock tire is a Dunlop. What would be a good replacement tire and tube for the front? What should I avoid.

JaBo

·
Registered
29 Posts
My humble opinion is the metzeler 880. I put a set on my v star custom and just got back from a 240 mile trip. Awesome tire in comarison to the old dunlop. My rear tire is the max 200 size, looks mostly.

I will tell you that you will get as many opinions as there are tires.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Tires

Guess I don't have a favorite tire but I try to stick to the tires that come on the bike. They are the tires chosen by Yamaha. On my bike that would be Bridgestone and Dunlop. But, you will be happy with most of the popular brands.

Dave

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for replying to my thread, for I am a new rider and dont know or have anyone around me to answer questions.

JaBo

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok. I just got the Metzler 880 and I can really tell the differance. The tire sticks like glue and handles a heck of a lot better. The Dunlop tire that was on it was 5 years old and had 3800 miles on it and was dry rotting.
Now I dont have to worry about a blow out.

JaBo

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Metz

I think you will be very happy with the Metz, as you say, stick good. Just me, but they are the best ride and best feel of any tires I have used, different strokes, you know.:) Ride Safe.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I am also getting ready to put new rubber on my bike. I have tried Metzlers several years ago. Set #2 on my Vstar. Was not impressed Felt like I was riding on marbles on wet roads. Maybe Metzler has changed the rubber compound since then. I will admit they felt great on dry roads.
Of the ones I have tried I liked the Dunlop D404 the best. Currently have Pirelli MT66, not impressed.
Does anyone know if Metzler has changed the ME880 recently?Making it better for wet roads, I seem to spend a lot of miles on them riding around Puget sound.
Has anyone tried the Michelin Commander tire?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I still find the Metzler very slippery in the wet. I am currently looking for a good replacement. My Metz only has 1000km on it and is very slippery on wet roads. I will sacrifice longevity for good tire performance in wet and dry any day so I am looking for a softer compound tire. I seem to read on many of these forums that most riders (most not all IMO )are fair weather riders and are looking more for good mileage and dry weather performance out of a tire, hence Dunlop and Metz get alot of good comments. They are good in the dry but not great in the wet when you really need that cornering confidence. Anyone experienced good wet weather tires??

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I am also getting ready to put new rubber on my bike. I have tried Metzlers several years ago. Set #2 on my Vstar. Was not impressed Felt like I was riding on marbles on wet roads. Maybe Metzler has changed the rubber compound since then. I will admit they felt great on dry roads.
Of the ones I have tried I liked the Dunlop D404 the best. Currently have Pirelli MT66, not impressed.
Does anyone know if Metzler has changed the ME880 recently?Making it better for wet roads, I seem to spend a lot of miles on them riding around Puget sound.
Has anyone tried the Michelin Commander tire?
Doug,
I do not know if they changed compound or not, I always slow down on wet roads anyway, but I have not had the feeling you did on wet roads, they feel solid to me. Maybe someone else would know if they changed the way they build them. Still the best I have had,by far.:)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Thanks Sugar Bear. Maybe your roads are better suited to handle wet than here is the wet Northwest. I was talking to fellow riders at work today and they both said that they had the same feeling with the Metzlers.
If I can't find any one that had run the Michelin, I will go back to the Dunlop D404, for me so far the best for me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My experience so far; 2007 v-star 1300
OEM dunlops were ok ,but nothing special front went 22k and the rear went 12.5k

I put the Metzler 880's on. Rear went 14k but was cupped bad when taken off. To me it was not worth the extra expense.
Front was just taken off at 15k with 70% remaing due to tire cupping and handlebars shaking for the tire wear.

Went to the dunlop e-3 tire and it grips much better than the metzler, especially when wet and no more wiggle crossing tar snakes. Much improved confidence in the traction and a smoother ride. The rear now has 12k on it and has 75% tread left. Front is new.

YMMV :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts