Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Potentially new Vstar member here, and I really need some quick advice. I've been eyeing either a 2009 Vstar 950 or a 2009 Vstar1100 custom at my local dealership.

Here's the skinny:

The 2009 Vstar 950 is used but in immaculate condition. 1850 miles on it. Between my trade-in and the total we worked out, I'm looking at $2,000 cash due.

The 2009 Vstar 1100 custom is brand new. With the factory incentives and other price hagglings (and my trade-in)... I'm looking at $3,000 cash due.

So the question is, what would you choose.... and why?

Thanks!

·
Registered
422 Posts
They are both rock solid bikes. If the dealer would let you test ride them I would do that and see which one fits you best and your riding style best. I like the 950 because its belt drive and I just like the looks better. The 950 has a more modern cruiser look to it. They are both good bikes so just flip a coin, it is a win win situation.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I have the 1100 Custom and I agree it's a win win situation.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Yamaha means winner

Fulltilt1 and HTMNKYLVE said really all that can be said, a winner is a winner anyway you cut it, and whatever you choose, if it fits and you like how it feels, that's the one. Sugar Bear is old school and would go with the 1100, but that's just me. Check them out (ride 'em) I think you will be very happy with what you choose.:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm like sugarbear (old school) so I'd probably go with the 1100. But I agree with everyone else that you can't go wrong either way. The 950's gonna give you more modern technology but the 1100's gonna give you piece of mind because it's been around for years and has proven to be a rock solid performer. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would have to say, although I agree that the 1100 is a great bike, the 950 has a lot more of a modern style , and gets alot of compliments. power is pretty much the same for the most part, but the largest difference that any of us can state is the avaiability of accessories. The 1100 hands down has more accessories available than the 950 because the 950 just came out last year. I have had to customize alot of stuff that I did to my 950, I am extremely happy with it but I have had a little search on my hands, but if you don't mind searching to add you personal touch I'd say go for the 950. You can find my bike on youtube just to get and idea of the many possibilties for your bike. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do1aX71JJyk, anyways Good luck with which ever one you buy and safe riding.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Nothing like haveing a brand spankin' new bike.
I just got my 950 T brand new and love it.
So even tho I prefer the 950, I would say go brand new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, all. I wanted to update everyone. I decided on the 950. I think it was a wonderful choice, so thanks for everyone's input. On the ride home from the dealership, I can just feel myself becoming one with the machine.

As soon as I got home, I went straight to home depot to pick up the bi-metal hole cutter and extension and went to work on that stock exhaust. Definitely a fuller, deeper sound with that metal plate cut out. One wonders how the bike ever breathed with that plate inside the exhaust fully blocking any exit?

Anyhoo... here's a stock (google) photo of the bike and the color (Tommy Blue).

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Sweet Ride... Nice Color!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I like it, good choice. I have a 2000 vstar 1100 custom, but I really like the new style, i like fuel injection also. beautiful color, enjoy, ride safely

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congrats on your Tommy Blue -- that's the one I chose. I lucked up and got one that was toured out.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree the 950 is a more stylish bike, but the power of the 1100 is good also. I have a 05 1100 midnight custom. I love it, it has all the power I want. I will be riding it for a long time to come. My choice in this situation is the go with the bike with the least unknowns, and that is the 1100 as it being new.

·
Registered
5 Posts

For the extra 1k buy the bigger if you want to carry a passanger gear longer rides, plus the 1100 has been a long lasting engine, If you buy a bike to samll later you will be unhappy I will mostlikely buy a 1700 today its an 08 with 3k miles loaded trading in my 06 1100 with 5k the power my man the power:eek:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
weight/ HP

For what it is worth the 1100 and 950 are about the same weight and horsepower. Last year was the last year for the 1100.

Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts