Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am thrilled and have been posting ALL over the place.
I Swapped out my 1300 Tourer OEM Front Belt Pulley for a Stryker OEM Front Belt pulley.

My speedo is now much more accurate, my RPMs at a TRUE GPS 77MPH are down to around 3,550 from 3,850.
Im in love with my bike all over again! I do a lot of higher speed riding/interstate and started wishing for a sixth gear, this solution and made me very happy for now.

RESULTS _

This is written in stone.

1. OEM pulley - indicated speed of 84/85 MPH = GPS speed of 77 MPH and you are turning 3800/3900 RPMs.

2. Stryker pulley - Indicated speed of 80/81 MPH = GPS speed of 77 MPH and you are turning 3500/3600 RPMs.

Speaks for itself!

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'm intrigued. Couple of questions: Does the stock belt still fit? How much adjustment for belt tension do you have left? What about the big jump from first to second gear...... does it lug much? My guess is that you don't use fifth gear much until you settle in on the highway.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
473 Posts
Id love to know more too! How the install went (how to install), how long etc. Ive always thought my 1300 had high rpms at hi way speeds.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm intrigued. Couple of questions: Does the stock belt still fit? How much adjustment for belt tension do you have left? What about the big jump from first to second gear...... does it lug much? My guess is that you don't use fifth gear much until you settle in on the highway.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
(ok, running out of time, have to get to work, long day coming up today ... so here we go, feel free to ask, will check later today nor night)

1. Yes, the stock belt fits perfectly fine and plenty of room for adjustment.

2. The big jump first to second, I cant answer that one. I never really have felt an issue with the lower gears so I dont know what to say, I dont want to say there is no issue if someone or many others are already feeling an issue then that issue will be slightly increased with a Stryker pulley. I SUSPECT but unsure, that many might be shifting early on this bike simply because the speedo is off a gross 10% to fast but I dont know, I do know with the new pulley you are now off less then half that, as close as some automobiles.

3. I notice now I now shift into 5th gear at around GPS speed of 63 to 68 MPH. I like to use GPS speed because its the only thing that is a benchmark. Remember, after the pulley swap, your speedo erroe is cut in half, from 9% to about 4%, thats quite a bit, youll have to remember that riding down the highway now. I used to run at an upper 85 MPH indicated which was a true GPS 77. Now I have to keep that in mind if I dont have my GPS on, because at an indicated 80 I am now running 76/77! If I ran it up to 85 like I used to I would be at 80 or 81 in a 70 speed limit. *L*

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Id love to know more too! How the install went (how to install), how long etc. Ive always thought my 1300 had high rpms at hi way speeds.
I had the pulley swapped at the same time as a new rear Commander II tire put on, this way almost all the work is done. Meaning it takes more time to remove the rear wheel and belt then the swap.
I had a shop do it, they charged $40 extra to swap the pulley.
It really only involves taking the screws out of the front pulley cover and then (from what I hear) needing a power ratchet to take off the ONE pulley nut which is tightened to 100 FT LBS. Or something like that. Someone who removes their own rear wheel could do it easy if they can get the nut off. I dont know anyone to help and never removed the rear wheel so not comfortable doing it.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
fyi.. 100ft/lbs is nothing. Same as the lugnuts on your car
Good point! I never thought about that.

I was going on what I read, others have said who swapped the pulley themselves and others who have tried before I had mine done.
I did think to myself, its only one bolt, how bad could it be unless some kind of "locktight" is used on it. ( one person did mention locktight but have no idea if that is true or a guess)

I dont know, anyway, for me and no one to help, having my shop do it for $40. while they changed the tire was well worth it.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
40 isnt bad to have it done though. I even wonder if it is pressed onto the main shaft, and therefore you need a pulley puller to remove it once its "loose"
Another good point and I would have had to buy a 40mm or something socket and I never adjusted or removed a rear wheel plus I was getting a tire put on. I do know some have done it and I think it's easy if someone wants to do it themself.

·
Registered
342 Posts
40 isnt bad to have it done though. I even wonder if it is pressed onto the main shaft, and therefore you need a pulley puller to remove it once its "loose"
I can't say about the 1300 but the Road Star pulley is definitely not pressed on. It's on a splined shaft and once the nut is off, the pulley will just slide off.

·
Registered
456 Posts
That sounds interesting, the speedo being off has always driven me crazy. I always use the gps speed. I am going to look into this a bit further.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am surprised..

I would have thought that they would have shared the same pulley. This makes my wonder, Is the 950 v-star front pulley different from the front pulley on the 950 bolt?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That sounds interesting, the speedo being off has always driven me crazy. I always use the gps speed. I am going to look into this a bit further.
It cuts the speedo error on the 1300 by just about half. Now when my speedo says 80 I am doing around 76/77 before the swap it was around 73.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would have thought that they would have shared the same pulley. This makes my wonder, Is the 950 v-star front pulley different from the front pulley on the 950 bolt?
Its easy to find out, just to to yamaha's website a and look up the part number for both bikes.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Now that you have had this on for awhile has it affected fuel mileage?
Better or worse?
GREAT QUESTION but one problem! *L*
There is no way to measure gas mileage to compare after the swap. Meaning, now that the speedometer error is cut in half, so is the odometer error.
Speedo error before the swap 9 or 10%, after the swap less then 5%.

Same would go for the odometer. I only wish I measured distance traveled before the swap with the GPS to compare after the swap.

So when I travel the same distance on the odometer, now after the swap, my odometer is registering 5% or so LESS distance traveled (miles) now that it is more accurate, so the net measurable change in gas mileage is zero. Meaning I do not see a difference in gas mileage but I think that is only because my odometer now measures 5% less mileage after the swap, so I guess I can assume I am getting two to three MPG more but no way to confirm it, unless of course what I typed above is correct which I think it is.

I have been enjoying my new ride with the swap soooooo much I have not given it much thought more then what I typed above.I feel like a have a new, different bike, much more adapted to interstate cruising.

Now planing a trip to the Smoky Mountains first stop maggie valley nc, then onto gatlinburg tn and wherever the road may take us!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You essentially have a higher gear so its reasonable to assume at highway speeds you will get better mileage. In town I suspect it's probably not enough to even measure.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You essentially have a higher gear so its reasonable to assume at highway speeds you will get better mileage. In town I suspect it's probably not enough to even measure.
I agree 100%, a good part of my riding is 60 and up and why I wanted the higher gear. Bike is a dream on the interstate now at GPS speed of 75.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
On my previous Suzuki C-50 that had a similarly erroneous speedo, I was surprised to find that the odo seemed to be pretty accurate. I tested a regular route with the bike and 2 different cars (that had accurate speedos) and found the mileage on the odos all came out the same. But I can't explain why...

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
On my previous Suzuki C-50 that had a similarly erroneous speedo, I was surprised to find that the odo seemed to be pretty accurate. I tested a regular route with the bike and 2 different cars (that had accurate speedos) and found the mileage on the odos all came out the same. But I can't explain why...
Yes. I cant explain either, I know others have reported on this. I can only maybe wonder, maybe the distance compared was not long enough to show the error?

Meaning, if one compares odometers, driven over a distance of 10 miles, the difference would barely be noticeable, if at all. Because lets say a 7% error would be less then a 7 tenths of a mile and we have to assume the auto is 100% correct which, most autos if anything also register a slightly fast speed then actual rather then lower..

If driven over a 100 mile distance the error should be 7 miles and that is only if the distance that is being compared to a car is assuming the car is 100% accurate, which again, most likely is not.

So back to GPS mileage? I havent tried it. But for speed, GPS is the only way to have a common standard among all bikes.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts