Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my first bike is an 06 1100. Just bought it last week. Well it has basically been sitting since 2010. (ridden less than 2k miles) I have ridden it about 35miles and it seems to run and perform fine except idling. When you first start it, it will pop while idling. Not constantly just randomly. The first time I had it out it seemed to disappear once it was good and warm. Yesterday I ran it up the street for a state inspection and it never disappeared. Even when I got back here and parked it was still doing it. It does it more when the choke, or whatever ya want to call it, is engaged some. I'm thinking since it has been sitting for so long it will disappear as I ride it but then again it might not. I have changed the plugs so I assume that's not the issue.
Just looking for some suggestions. Wondering if I should just put several hundred miles on it then if it isn't gone do something about it, or have it worked on now and fix the issue. Everything is stock as far as I can tell except the AIS has been removed.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone???

Ok so now it gets weirder. Just got back from about a 40mile trip. Every time I stopped the idle was way high until I hit neutral. At any point riding along I can release the throttle and squeeze the clutch and it doesn't idle down completely. Shift down through all the gears to first with no change, pop it to neutral and the idle drops instantly. Did this every time I stop. :confused:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that advise. So that brings another question. How critical is this? Is it safe to drive or should I do this immediately? Only reason I ask is I'm supposed to ride with a buddy over the weekend. Couple hundred miles max, but I won't have time between now and then to do this work. Will I be ok or should I park it until I get them clean and synced?

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you don't feel unsafe on it I'd fill the tank and add Sea Foam and go on the weekend ride. I'd add slightly more Sea Foam than is recommended on the can. If you notice improvement but not perfection, repeat. The bikes been sitting for over three years and might need several cleanings.

If this doesn't work, clean the carbs and tune it manually. If you feel competent you could do this, or if you're incompetent like me, just take it in and have it tuned professionally.

If you don't feel safe riding it in its present condition, have it remediated before further riding. My $0.02.

·
Registered
24 Posts
sounds like a lean issue at idle perhaps.

*Sea foam is an easy fix for helping to clear up some carbon build up.. (bike seems to new to really be affected by that)

also you might grab a FlatHead Socket and play with your PMS screw underneath the carbs.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nick that's pretty much what I have decided to do. Since the syncing is so easily done I will check that and adjust accordingly. If after a couple of tanks of heavily seafoam treated gas I'm still having issues, I will pull and clean the carbs and go from there.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
If I bought a bike that been sitting for 4 years, the first thing I would have done is to take the carbs apart and clean them. In my opinion, that is beyond the "dump stuff in the gas tank and pray" stage by about 3 1/2 years. I wonder how much junk was in the gas tank that got sucked though the system too. A bike sitting even half that long should have had the tank cleaned, fuel lines replaced, fuel pump flushed, carbs fully disassembled and cleaned....not to mention complete brake fluid flush etc.

Good luck with your project....I wish the best. Just don't try to get by trying to dodge basic safety and maintenance.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well after riding over the weekend I said heck with it and pulled then carbs today. Didn't see and obvious blockage but the plugs have been removed and extended PMS screws( guess that's what by a call them). So that brings up the question of PMS settings. What are they for stock set up? Currently they are 1 1\4 out. All I have left is reinstall and fire her up and sync then. Then ride!!! :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ran a small wire through all the jets. Do not have a magnifying glass, although I wish I did. I'm going to open the pms screws another 1/4 turn which will put them at 1 1/2 out. Once I get her warmed up and synced I report back. If I don't see any improvement or change I may just buy some new OE jets and be done with it. In doing all this I have learned that with a MAXAIR kit the float needs to be adjusted. Well this bike had the MAXAIR kit with pods installed at one point. (I have all the parts as well as the jet kits with instructions) In that box I found the homemade float measuring tool.(someone has obviously messed with it at some point) Now I am just hoping who ever removed the kit set the float back to the original levels. Being that I'm only having an idle issue, and based on info you folks have given me, I'm hoping that external adjustments are all that will be necessary.

One thing that has me puzzled though is why does shifting to neutral effect the idle? Could it be a tps sensor possible? Personally I just don't understand the connection between idle speed and being in or out of gear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ran a small wire through all the jets. Do not have a magnifying glass, although I wish I did. I'm going to open the pms screws another 1/4 turn which will put them at 1 1/2 out. Once I get her warmed up and synced I report back. If I don't see any improvement or change I may just buy some new OE jets and be done with it. In doing all this I have learned that with a MAXAIR kit the float needs to be adjusted. Well this bike had the MAXAIR kit with pods installed at one point. (I have all the parts as well as the jet kits with instructions) In that box I found the homemade float measuring tool.(someone has obviously messed with it at some point) Now I am just hoping who ever removed the kit set the float back to the original levels. Being that I'm only having an idle issue, and based on info you folks have given me, I'm hoping that external adjustments are all that will be necessary.

One thing that has me puzzled though is why does shifting to neutral effect the idle? Could it be a tps sensor possible? Personally I just don't understand the connection between idle speed and being in or out of gear.
Summer,

Regarding the high idle, you may have a speed sensor magnet that is dirty. I had similar issues with my bike -- it would continue idling at high rpms for several moments after I stopped or pulled in the clutch or put it in neutral.

What happens is that material (e.g. fine bits of steel or metal) can accumulate on the magnetic speed sensor that seems to cause it to perceive excessive movement or otherwise get false readings. When I pulled mine out, it had a some steel filing type fuzz on it; when I cleaned it off and rode it again the problem was solved. I've read several other posts from folks who had the same experience.

It's not a big deal to fix and given your problem its worth the effort. Pull off the chrome side cover plate on the left rear part of the engine with four bolts in the corners (the two upper bolts you don't need to remove them to remove the cover.)

The speed sensor is here:

Here's one on ebay:

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-445443661-2000-2008-yamaha-v-star-xvs1100-speed-sensor-_JM

Take the speed sensor out (I think there's a bolt you unscrew) and clean off any debris and blow out the hole while your at it. Then replace.

Hope it works as well for you as it did for me.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I'm having a little problem with my pms screws.i had the carbs off last week and when i turned the screws all the way in i could feel only one sticking out thru the carb throat.So i think the one i could not feel i may have it turned out to far.its idleing just a bit off im going to sinc the carbs and ride it for awhile and keep an eye on the plugs.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Make sure the O ring is still in place on both PMS. I've seen them come off, and also seen more than one stacked inside because the owner thought the original dropped out. Neither case is good.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Actually i rode all last summer with one spring and oring missing.After i sinc im going to turn the screws in till i get popping then back out a bit and leave it.it cruises good but it feels off on decell.Last summer i was backing the screws off an eighth at a time to get rid of popping and i went to far everything got rich plugs and pipies got black ass coal..im going to adjust for a little popping and see if it cleans up.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Iriemon you may be onto something. I disassembled and cleaned the carbs yesterday. Reinstalled today, opened up the PMS screws a tad more and synced them. I could tell time I started it the idle was better. Almost no popping and its just smoother. Took it for a ride and before I got out the driveway I could tell the high idle issue was unchanged. Rode about 30miles and no change on the idle issue. I had already wondered why the idle didn't seem to take effect until I rode the bike. I have been wondering if it could be the tps or some type of sensor. I will check into this tomorrow and hopefully report back with good news.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
check what size jets you have pilot and main.and needle shims..reread your thread in the first post you said everything is stock except the ais, then later you talk about maxair float tool and screws.so im wondering if any of the jets have been changed.
The bike came with a box of parts and pieces. One thing in the box was a Maxair jet kit and a set of pod air filters. I assume there are from maxair as well. Anyway, looked through the jet kit and the instructions and all the jets are in the case as labeled. Some of them are darker on the top side (I assume from use). Since all the parts are in the kit I am assuming at some point in the past the Pods were installed along with the correct jets. When he sold it to the guy I got it from, he apparently put everything back to stock and removed all the aftermarket items. From what I could see while inside all the jets were correct for stock. Couldn't read everyone but could see some of them.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK so I did a little research on this spedo sensor issue. Seems there is a lot of folks on the web with the same issue I have but while some no longer have the problem,I could not find anyone with a clear cut answer to what fixed it. So I started with replacing the speedo sensor. Well after a ride this afternoon my issue is still the same. Only thing I see to do next is replace the ignitor. Before I spend that money just wondering if anyone else had any other suggestions to try.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts