Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Custom
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple questions, for I have rebuilt a carb incorrectly and need to get things squared away.

1 - what are the sizes I need to be concerned about with the idle mixture screws such as
A- thread size
B- O ring size
I want to replace them with finger screws and want to make sure I'm getting the right stuff, and don't want to spend 75 bucks doing it.

2 - When people say one turn, they mean 360 right? not 180 (a half turn?)
I know this seems dumb but when you think about it, one turn of the screw with a screw driver, without pulling it out and re inserting it into the groove, is only 180 degrees. I am right to think that one turn is two half spins of the screwdriver? I know this is confusing, basically, one full turn is 360 degrees of rotation I assume.

3- The order of the pms assembly is, from inserted side to threads, Oring, washer, spring, threads?
The reason I ask is because some of the amazon PMSs have the photo show, from the insterted side, Spring, washer, oring, threads. photo for example, tell me if this is backwards. On the videos the o ring is on the other side, towards the needle rather than the threads.

4-If the engine seems to be losing power randomly at 35mph-40mph, and the exhaust sounds poppy (not afterfiring, but poppy) then its too lean and I need more fuel yes? if I increase the fuel you can see light smoke come out. is there always light smoke no matter what? by light i mean in quantity, not color. it is a light color but that's not what I'm talking about. If I rev the engine and its a bit richer then some small amounts of smoke come out without afterfire.

4.5- I have a hard time thinking the pms has much to do with high speeds, how much would that affect higher rev ranges?

5- Just to make sure, no matter where it goes, the O ring ALWAYS is touching the washer and not the spring, as to not damage the o ring, correct? to put differently, the washer always divides the o ring and the spring
Line Engineering Art Metal Pattern

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
12,735 Posts
If @nick57 or someone else reply soon, I will when I get home from work. To much to type on phone.

Reactions: Gwroon

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
https://www.partzilla.com/product/y...?ref=2fec0f42ee09b13cb753922ac38d46f0f7883e2f i ran these for half of this summer. one turn is 360 degrees. these screws are half turn of stock. so if you want 2.5 turns out these should be 1.25 turns. i put my max*air screws back in. i was having a rich ness problem which i think is caused by the baffles in my cobras. they are very restrictive.so i was blaming the screws.if you wanted to by screws from a different type of motor i cant tell you which will fit. the only two screws that fits that i'm aware of is max-air and the 650's..
Yellow Household hardware Fastener Auto part Font

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Custom
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
https://www.partzilla.com/product/y...?ref=2fec0f42ee09b13cb753922ac38d46f0f7883e2f i ran these for half of this summer. one turn is 360 degrees. these screws are half turn of stock. so if you want 2.5 turns out these should be 1.25 turns. i put my max*air screws back in. i was having a rich ness problem which i think is caused by the baffles in my cobras. they are very restrictive.so i was blaming the screws.if you wanted to by screws from a different type of motor i cant tell you which will fit. the only two screws that fits that i'm aware of is max-air and the 650's.. View attachment 112190
I'm currently ordering them, (45 bucks, jeez man) but will they come with instructions?

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
12,735 Posts
@nick57 , Thanks for replying. (y)(y)

Reactions: Gwroon

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a couple questions, for I have rebuilt a carb incorrectly and need to get things squared away.

1 - what are the sizes I need to be concerned about with the idle mixture screws such as
A- thread size
B- O ring size
I want to replace them with finger screws and want to make sure I'm getting the right stuff, and don't want to spend 75 bucks doing it.

2 - When people say one turn, they mean 360 right? not 180 (a half turn?)
I know this seems dumb but when you think about it, one turn of the screw with a screw driver, without pulling it out and re inserting it into the groove, is only 180 degrees. I am right to think that one turn is two half spins of the screwdriver? I know this is confusing, basically, one full turn is 360 degrees of rotation I assume.

3- The order of the pms assembly is, from inserted side to threads, Oring, washer, spring, threads?
The reason I ask is because some of the amazon PMSs have the photo show, from the insterted side, Spring, washer, oring, threads. photo for example, tell me if this is backwards. On the videos the o ring is on the other side, towards the needle rather than the threads.

4-If the engine seems to be losing power randomly at 35mph-40mph, and the exhaust sounds poppy (not afterfiring, but poppy) then its too lean and I need more fuel yes? if I increase the fuel you can see light smoke come out. is there always light smoke no matter what? by light i mean in quantity, not color. it is a light color but that's not what I'm talking about. If I rev the engine and its a bit richer then some small amounts of smoke come out without afterfire.

4.5- I have a hard time thinking the pms has much to do with high speeds, how much would that affect higher rev ranges?

5- Just to make sure, no matter where it goes, the O ring ALWAYS is touching the washer and not the spring, as to not damage the o ring, correct? to put differently, the washer always divides the o ring and the spring
View attachment 112186

1 - 12 of 12 Posts