Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used a 1½" holesaw with a 12" extension and removed the end of the secondary chamber, and as it was mentioned my 950 now has a pleasingly low, robust rumble:D. Compared to the stock sound, the level is now over twice as loud as it was but will not wake up or upset your neighbors:). Since the stock exhaust has 2 chambers the primary chamber still gives adequate muffling but man oh!! man the sound you'll get by holesawing that stock exhaust. You won't want to spend $450.00+ dollars on after market pipes after hearing it;). I don't think that I'll drill the air box at time, I'm a little leary about a too lean a mixture the ECU won't compensate so I'll do more research on that matter before I modify the air box.

·
Registered
178 Posts
copy cat!?!

where did you get the hole saw? metal or wood?
part number?

we rode yesterday, and the wife can't hear hers, even with the 1/2 hole i drilled in.

LMK!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
copy cat!?!

where did you get the hole saw? metal or wood?
part number?

we rode yesterday, and the wife can't hear hers, even with the 1/2 hole i drilled in.

LMK!
I got a Ridgid metal holesaw kit Part #7039 and the 12" extension at Lowe's, Home depot has them also, I can't remember the cost but it wasn't all that expensive. The kit cover 7/8" to 1½". If you don't want to buy whole kit just get the 1½" holesaw. That's why I went to 1½" because ½" just didn't do the job. She'll hear it with 1½" hole in it. BTW, the 1½" holesaw fits like a glove in the muffler bore. The metal disc didn't come out when I pulled out the saw so I had to use my 16" mechanical fingers to get it out.
This is what mechanical fingers look like. You can get them at Lowe's and Home Depot.

http://www.setools.com/mechfing.shtml

·
Registered
178 Posts
any reason to buy more tools :)

sweet, will go to Lowes on way home tomorrow.

i may pull the pipe off, and take some pics of it.

i think that plate is up near the front.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
any reason to buy more tools :)

sweet, will go to Lowes on way home tomorrow.

i may pull the pipe off, and take some pics of it.

i think that plate is up near the front.
The piece that needs holesawed is about 14" in from the outlet end of the muffler. In fact it's the same area that you drilled the ½" hole that you have pictures of in your "yamaha v star 950 performance mods" thread

·
Administrator
15,534 Posts
is anyone else weary about sticking a 14" drill into their muffler and drilling a blind hole into a perfectly good exhaust? i'm all for better performance and sound, but the thought of doing this to my brand new bike makes me uneasy. what are the possible negative effects from doing this? what makes me the most uncomfortable about this is that you can't see what you're cutting or what you're doing, or if you could be messing up without even knowing it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
is anyone else weary about sticking a 14" drill into their muffler and drilling a blind hole into a perfectly good exhaust? i'm all for better performance and sound, but the thought of doing this to my brand new bike makes me uneasy. what are the possible negative effects from doing this? what makes me the most uncomfortable about this is that you can't see what you're cutting or what you're doing, or if you could be messing up without even knowing it.

Not so bevo1981, you can shine a flashlight in the muffler bore and see exactly where you're drilling. It's not a 14" drill, it's a 1½" holesaw attached to 12" extension. Three of us that I know of has done this with no negative effect because the ECU and the oxygen sensor compensates for it. If you do as I have explained it, you'll not mess up anything. The 1½" holesaw slides very nicely in the bore
and will not flop or vibrate around while you're drilling/sawing the thin metal that you're working with. The actual drilling takes about 20 seconds or less with a good holesaw.

Go to the below link, it shows you where you'll be drilling/sawing. The first picture is very clear about this. If you look in your muffler bore there isn't a hole there, 04ctd drilled a ½" hole in his to see if it would improve the sound . The metal at the end of the bore is what you'll be removing.
http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi miracleman.

I have an 04 650 Classic that the previous owner drilled out before I got it. I'm not sure what the stock exhaust looks like, but he told me he removed some sort of cap that was on the end of the exhaust pipes. What you see now is a disc (baffle?) just a couple inches in from the end. There is a hole in the center, and this guy drilled 5 3/8" holes evenly spaced around the edge. The sound is so sweet! It is not too loud, and is easily confused for Harley sound by the casual listener.

Hope this helps!

roxtar

·
Registered
305 Posts
http://www.650ccnd.com/drillout.htm

This is a link to a picture of one with 3 holes. After you remove the cone from the end of the pipe, this is what you see, without the holes in the outside. The difference is mine has 5 evenly spaced holes, and the sound is awesome!

btw -- that site, 650ccnd.com, is a wealth of info for the 650 V-Star!

·
Registered
178 Posts
i did this mod last week on the 950

it is AWESOME, and it RUNS, it pulls good from down low too.

and the 4 valves let it flow up top.

i have many sound clips, will post when i get on the main computer, on laptop now

·
Registered
178 Posts
here's a comparo of the V Star 950 and the Harley,

the V star is running, and I crank the harley, and it's much louder.

that's not significant though...whats significant is the Yamaha rider can AT LEAST tell if the yamaha is running.

it's REALLY crappy for me to have to shut the harley off for the wife to hear the Yamaha crank, and she won't have to do that with this mod, so this sound clip is kinda misleading.

·
Administrator
15,534 Posts
well i've just spent several minutes trying to drill out my exhaust and no luck yet. i'm using a Sears Craftsman 2.5 amps 1200RPM drill with the ridgid holesaw and extension. it doesn't seem to be cutting any, and now the saw will hang up on the disc causing the rotation to cease, and my drill starts smoking. any thoughts? could it be that my drill just isn't powerful enough and i should get a much more powerful one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
i hate to sound anti-sgt mike, but there is absolutely no comparison from stock exhaust modifications to aftermarket pipes!!!
1. sound may be loud with stock exhaust mod, but not as nice.
2. the performance you get from aftermarket pipes cannot be achieved by stock mods.
3. aftermarkets pipes will shave about 20 pounds off your bike.
4. looks!!! not even close!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
i hate to sound anti-sgt mike, but there is absolutely no comparison from stock exhaust modifications to aftermarket pipes!!!
1. sound may be loud with stock exhaust mod, but not as nice.
2. the performance you get from aftermarket pipes cannot be achieved by stock mods.
3. aftermarkets pipes will shave about 20 pounds off your bike.
4. looks!!! not even close!!!
It might be true what you are saying but you cannot really compare free mod with 400 bucks spent thou. With this mod ppl will get at least louder exhaust without spending and also a lot might not really want very loud bike.
1. not as nice, it depends what you are compare it to, if HK then I'd agree but with other 2 into 1 exhaust like Roadhouse I would say stock mod is pretty close.
2. The performance doesn't really come just from the pipes but also air kit and that another spending.
3. 20 pounds off your bike, that doesn't really hurt the bike much to carry 20lbs around but 500 USD out of pocket that gotta hurt somes.
4. Looks? I like HK big straight but I am not sure if HK already make pipes for 950, Cobra is just too small and might not look as good. I used to have Roadhouse 2 into 1 on my 650 and I think the stock pipes look as good. If 950 get the end tip like 1300 I would say that's perfect.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts