Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

Registered
Glad to know my idea was doable. Indian did a poor job of advertising this feature though since I never heard of it and I'm seeing cycle ads all the time.

Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
Fact: My 2005 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide gets about 26 miles to the gallon. My 2009 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom gets around 34 miles per gallon. My 2019 Volkswagen Jetta with a 1500cc turbocharged engine gets about 41 miles to the gallon on the highway, and can cruise well over 100mph without breaking a sweat.
How do you manage to run so much fuel through your bikes? BTW, my 150 hp, 1.4 litre Skoda can deliver up to 60 mpg, and will do 47 mpg on the freeway, so your 1500 is clearly too big :p;)馃槃

Registered
Glad to know my idea was doable. Indian did a poor job of advertising this feature though since I never heard of it and I'm seeing cycle ads all the time.
Out of curiosity, where do you see advertisements for any motorcycles? I don't watch much TV, but I couldn't remember the last time I saw a motorcycle advertisement. (Not messing around)

Super Moderator
Everybody鈥檚 response covered what I鈥檇 do if I was CEO for a day.
Seeing how Indian is now the only American made bike, I鈥檇 see what they are doing and learn from them.
Great customer service and a good aftermarket availability would be my priorities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Out of curiosity, where do you see advertisements for any motorcycles? I don't watch much TV, but I couldn't remember the last time I saw a motorcycle advertisement. (Not messing around)
True story. I haven't seen one for a long time and the last ones I remember were Harley.

Registered
I'm a member of the American Motorcycle Association and the monthly magazine is packed with ads. I order motorcycle stuff online regularly (just bought a new helmet and some new grips this month) and they have ads. I'm a member of another motorcycle web site (VTXOA) that has ads popping up all the time (a lot of Harley ads).

I'm on the internet a lot looking up things about motorcycle as well.

Reactions: lesblank

Registered
Being CEO for a day would mean V Star 1300 but please for the many years of building in the US you could get the Speed to register correct, not 10% off.

Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
Analog / mechanical speedometer = will always be "off" somewhere in it's range.

Digital = no reason to be 10% off.

Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
I see a problem with consumers like me in asking for what I would do if CEO for a day. I sit here drinking my coffee and was thinking about the comments about motorcycle advertising. I see advertisements often enough to know the manufacturers are indeed selling their goods. The problem is, guys like me do not the new bikes often. I indeed have bike # 28, 29 and 30 at present. But # 26 and # 28 are the only two out of all these that I bought new. I am in love with the idea of new motorcycles, especially the VMAX, but I did not buy another new one. Now that that option is quickly dissipating due to no longer building them, I feel a loss.

Many of us have stated what we would do based on emotions like I have. Evidently, emotions do not sell motorcycles. Which is why advertising is not the real answer as it targets our emotions, but no always enough to go buy that new ride.

Registered

I don't mind the mile or two but ten that is ridiculous. Doing it to satisfy the government for their records shows how the people in the government are easily fooled.

Administrator

"This discrepancy, according to Cycle World, 鈥渃an most likely be traced to ECE Regulation No. 39, which is a 14-page document detailing speedometer accuracy for vehicles sold in EU countries. According to this law, a speedometer can read high by as much as ten percent plus 4 km/h at a specified test speed, but under no circumstances can the speedometer read low.鈥 It鈥檚 a classic case of CYA for manufacturers who sell motorcycles mostly in the EU, which is most of them."

Registered
"This discrepancy, according to Cycle World, 鈥渃an most likely be traced to ECE Regulation No. 39, which is a 14-page document detailing speedometer accuracy for vehicles sold in EU countries. According to this law, a speedometer can read high by as much as ten percent plus 4 km/h at a specified test speed, but under no circumstances can the speedometer read low.鈥 It鈥檚 a classic case of CYA for manufacturers who sell motorcycles mostly in the EU, which is most of them."

I get the tire wear, pressure and tire size but the car companies do a better job and look at how many vehicles they go through. If they don't want to do the changing for each country at least they could give you the information of belt pulley's or what ever would correct the problem. They do all the testing and know what will make it work right. I don't think every bike is sold to an EU dealer first or are they. VW got caught trying to fix the numbers to pass their cars through PCA agency for the US cars. I am sure that Farley Doesn't make all their bikes fit the EU specs.

Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
Putting on a CEO hat for a moment, I think there are a couple of areas that should be explored. Warning, these won't be popular with us old-timers.

1. All electric bike in the larger sizes. Cruisers and Tourer sizes. We might need Elon Musk to collaborate on this.
2. A quality automatic transmission. There has never been a good one in a bike and the technology is there now to do it right. Told you it would not be popular with us here. But us here is not the future for Yamaha.

I realize the first one negates the need for the second one.

Now, speaking as an old-timer customer, I just want to see cruisers and tourers come back on the market, from somewhere other than HD. I don't see where my next bike will come from, unless I want to buy older models. It isn't good to see a blank future.

Reactions: Boog and lesblank

Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
Actually, as per your #1, all but extreme exotic bikes will be single speed or some form of an automatic due to being electric.

But what I don't understand is why they (motorcycle companies) haven't already made a long life automatic??

Once all the motorcycle lovers have a bike, the only market left is the "average consumer". Look at how many people use the e-moped rentals in larger cities. Now take the top 20% of those people and stick them on a low maintenance/high lifespan 250/300 cc scooter. Then have options for a larger bike to graduate up to. ALL AUTOMATIC.

The whole 2 hands and 2 feet to operate a bike prevents too many people from being a customer. They already USE a 2 wheel transport. Now offer the same but as a small motorcycle instead of a moped.

THAT is your market future. Just look at china, Japan, Korea, and even a lot of Europe.

LOTS OF SCOOTERS. And every one is an automatic.

Personally, I think the entire electric bike INDUSTRY needs a standard battery pack. Longer range bikes take more than 1 battery pack.

In Asia somewhere, a company called Gogoro has done this. They have battery pack swapping stalls all over. And with a subscription like cell phone plans. Pay per battery swap, pay for X number of swaps per week/month, or unlimited swaps.

Regardless, the actual charging CONNECTOR must be standardized. This is crucial!

Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
You electric bike guys are FIRED. Bad CEO! ;) The world has plenty of them.

And the world has plenty of automatic bikes too. The new motorcycle company, Honda, has been doing it for some time now. Scooters have that market well in hand and good for them. 馃浀

Due to environmental destruction, the future is all about fossil fuels. Have you seen had incredibly bad for the environment the electric vehicle market is?

All kidding aside, the idea of being 100% electric vehicle (no gasoline or diesel vehicle period) by 2040 ruins my sanity.

Reactions: compjan
21 - 40 of 69 Posts