Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
1. All electric bike in the larger sizes. Cruisers and Tourer sizes. We might need Elon Musk to collaborate on this.
I remember seeing this in 2016 but I haven't seen anything about them since. LIT Motors.

Lit Motors

Reactions: compjan

·
Registered
178 Posts
I remember seeing this in 2016 but I haven't seen anything about them since. LIT Motors.

Lit Motors
Jeff, Websters and Encyclopedia Britannica aside, that is not a motorcycle. Please remove from this motorcycle related forum. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: And yes, I do understand that the people driving that whatever it is have no clue what Websters and Encyclopedia Britannica are.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,402 Posts
The thing about automatic transmissions, hardly anyone under 40 years old knows how to drive a standard shift automobile. It's becoming a special skill. Some people even consider a manual transmission as a form of theft deterrent. Teenage ner'dowell opens the door, sees a stick shifter, and moves on to steal the neighbors car.

Now take that thought and apply to motorcycle marketing focused on the younger generation. How many young people won't consider a motorcycle because they are afraid of a manual transmission? Or only consider scooters, because they are already automatic?

We'll probably see good electric touring bikes before we ever see a really good automatic transmission. I know there have been some auto-shifting motorcycles. But nothing comparable to what you get standard in cars these days. Which is probably why none have been very successful.

Myself, I'll stick with the 1 down 4 up, thank you very much!

Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Well IMHO electric bikes could be popular in cities where there is infrastructure to support them. Cruiser market is the square peg in the round hole. Where these bikes and their owners like to roam there is next to no available charging stations making the market for electric cruisers non existent. Plus... where in the heck would you put that darn charging cable. So if I were CEO I guess if electric is the future you got to start lobbying your favorite local politician to set aside some public lands for charging stations... and get to work on my fake smile and $1000 hand shake! Personally... not a fan of electric vehicles... has not been thought through... look at solar for example.... highly dangerous to the environment... but it makes people feel good so we can just look past all of those chemicals leaching into our ground water supplies....

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have been reading the comments here and each one puts forward a valid point.
Naturally coming from Australia we get treated differently with regards to bike sales. Harley Davidsons are over price for what you get. Yes basically the same motor with different bores and heads. Secondhand HD’s are nearly the price of a new one. The one thing I knew when I owned my Warrior was that no Harley could touch me lol. All the Japanese Company’s are focusing on the smaller cc bikes so that learners can get onto a bike. The only bike in that range worth talking about is the Kawasaki Vulcan S ( that 650 can blow anything off the road up to 1,200cc. People here have talked about the VMax, but none has mentioned the MT 01. Now that is one monster I’d like to see back on the road. If I was CEO for a day I would ask my R and D Dept to work out which cruiser bike is the best of the current batch. I would then get the ad people to come up with a range name. Let’s say for the cruiser range they use the title of FREEDOM. They make 3 types of cruiser. 1100cc, 1500cc and finally a 2000cc. Now the next directive is to create a power plant for each with all the same emission control for each country. Then I would ask R and D to encapsulate each model to after market production such as pipes filters etc. Yes it’s long winded and I’m not even the CEO of my place ( my cat rules the roost ). Also as a footnote; To make being a CEO for a day worthwhile you would probably go by Genesis ( in the bible ) and use one of its days lol.

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,756 Posts
@Stryder1956 here is the USA, we still have the MT 10 if that is what you mean by the MT 01 there. Or is that a different bike? I had the MT 10's predecessor, the FZ1 and loved it greatly. A very forgiving bike when one hit a curve a tad too hot. I am warming up tot he MT 10's design...

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,756 Posts
Reactions: faffi

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,402 Posts
Someone mentioned lack of advertising. I think that is an excellent point. Sure, you see ads in motorcycle rags. But I haven't seen a television ad in decades. Probably since Indian came back on the scene, or maybe it was Victory ads. Never seen a Yamaha ad anywhere other than UTV. Social media? Nope. General magazines? Nope, not in decades.

Seems to me like the motorcycle insurance companies are doing more motorcycle advertising than the actual motorycycle manufacturers. Geico and Progressive do a good job of it.

So as CEO, I am going to budget big money for marketing. Fire a couple of engineers that only screw things up anyway, and hire an ad agency. Superbowl ad, Farcebook, GQ magazine. You all read GQ, right?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Two responses to multiple folks above:

1. Electric motorcycles: I have a Chevy Volt and it has been amazing. I get anywhere from 35-75 miles on electric, depending on conditions (speed, weather, etc.). The main reason why I didn't go fully electric is cost, lack of charging infrastructure in the Midwest and total mileage of an EV. For an electric motorcycle to be successful I think 1.) the person's main riding environment needs to be a city with less than 100 miles of travel. That's a lot of travel for the city commute, but many new bikes meet this requirement! And 2.) If companies ever want an electric motorcycle, they must spend a little money on electric infrastructure. Cities and states just won't spend their resources or time doing so.

2. Automatic Transmissions: For driving a car, a AT is fun. You feel more of the process than with a MT. For riding a motorcycle: I really like a MT. But Honda has come out with an AT for their Goldwing. Has it been taken in by the riding community?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Someone mentioned lack of advertising. I think that is an excellent point. Sure, you see ads in motorcycle rags. But I haven't seen a television ad in decades. Probably since Indian came back on the scene, or maybe it was Victory ads. Never seen a Yamaha ad anywhere other than UTV. Social media? Nope. General magazines? Nope, not in decades.

Seems to me like the motorcycle insurance companies are doing more motorcycle advertising than the actual motorycycle manufacturers. Geico and Progressive do a good job of it.

So as CEO, I am going to budget big money for marketing. Fire a couple of engineers that only screw things up anyway, and hire an ad agency. Superbowl ad, Farcebook, GQ magazine. You all read GQ, right?
Bill, I think I'd swap GQ for Mens Health. Otherwise, great plan. Might consider replacing engineers with two 50+ year old bikers.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,402 Posts
I think I would swap GQ for Boy's Life. :)

Keep in mind, as CEO my focus would be on the younger demographic. Teens, 20's and 30's. So no old biker types. No leather with patches, no whiskey and cigarette soaked voices, and no mullet haircuts. Lots of young guys with gel in their hair, tats, piercings, and most importantly lots of young sexy women. Not for me mind you - the focus is to sell bikes to a generation that seems to have turned away from them. You build a business by going after new customers, not by luring them away from another brand.

Reactions: Louisiana Jeff

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't disagree that going after a younger audience is important, but as the father of a teenage son, I can tell you that from my point of view, there is little audience for new bike sales. My son has a 2007 YZF-R1 that he purchased used. He rides with a group of guys that all have over powered crotch rockets that were all purchased used. They got them from a thirty something that thought a sport bike was a good idea and sold them at a loss. To me the target customer for any motorcycle company (if I were CEO) would be the 40-50 year old father or mother that has just gotten finished paying for their kids overpriced higher education and is looking for something different in life. The Idea, to me, is to get people out of their crossover SUVs and out on the open road on two wheels. From what I have observed, the gelled, tatted, and pierced crowd is going in the direction of UBER, Lyft and other ride share programs, or they are not leaving the house at all.

·
Registered
2007 XVS1300 Blue and basic
37 Posts
Well if I was wanting to make money with my product I suggest.
To grow you need loyalty to the brand. Chevy guys buy Chevy’s and Ford guys by Fords once they start they stay a lifetime. Start them young with a mini bike Yamaha. To start the base, advertise with an image in mind. Have your bikes in movies get them seen everywhere, Support regional Yamaha rallies. Get celebrities to speak well of their Yamahas. Have TV shows that tour factory and has strictly Yamaha do it yourself projects. Make a person know Yamaha is here well-liked by cool people. That Yamaha supports your life with their brand bike, That Yamaha is willing to help you maintain and dress up your ride. And you have a friendly run and events to gather ..... If you buy Yamaha!

Yamaha be the first bike to lead Nascar to the green flag. That would be a Yamaha spotlight.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,402 Posts
Yep, good points.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well if I was wanting to make money with my product I suggest.
To grow you need loyalty to the brand. Chevy guys buy Chevy’s and Ford guys by Fords once they start they stay a lifetime. Start them young with a mini bike Yamaha. To start the base, advertise with an image in mind. Have your bikes in movies get them seen everywhere, Support regional Yamaha rallies. Get celebrities to speak well of their Yamahas. Have TV shows that tour factory and has strictly Yamaha do it yourself projects. Make a person know Yamaha is here well-liked by cool people. That Yamaha supports your life with their brand bike, That Yamaha is willing to help you maintain and dress up your ride. And you have a friendly run and events to gather ..... If you buy Yamaha!

Be the first bike to lead Nascar to the green flag. That would be a Yamaha spotlight.
Great Point - NASCAR lead motorcycle will help any brand. Indian or HD would probably be the front runners because NASCAR is such an American sport. A metric motorcycle leading other F1 or Indy events would be great too!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Is there any weight in the fact that in the US, Yamaha had some of its best sales when they changed their cruiser line to Star Motorcycles? Seems to me that it's a part of the problem that we are all talking about is that there are too many products marketed under the name Yamaha (Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki all do the same). Years ago, I had a Honda Shadow and often friends would ask how my generator handled. Suzuki enjoyed a boost in sales when they changed their models in the US to reflect the cubic inches of the engines. The bikes were the same, just more relatable to the American motorcycle market. When I hear the name "Honda Motorsports" a Gold Wing, Valkyrie, or VTX does not come to mind at all. However, my thoughts go to tuner cars and dirt bikes. When many people hear Yamaha, crotch rockets and outboard motors come to mind. The aftermarket needs to be expanded as well, but Yamaha needs to keep models available long enough for the aftermarket to be relevant.

One last thing for now: Harley- Davidson shops are palaces that sell ONLY Harley Davidson Motorcycles. While some shops sell other brands, they do not sell bikes that are in direct competition with their own products. The difference between going to my local Harley shop vs. going into my local Yamaha shop is the same as going into a Lexus dealer vs. going to Bob's Credit Corral used cars.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Oh, and to be clear, Harley Davidson does advertise everywhere. T-Shirts, jackets, boots, sunglasses, jewelry. I could go on and on. Not only do they advertise, but the customer pays to advertise for them. They are also the #1 sponsor of UFC fighting. I know thats not something everyone watches, but their logo is everywhere including the ring floor.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
If I were CEO and had any information regarding what @Bucfan11 has gone through trying to get his bike fixed would launch an immediate investigation into why this dillemia has gone on this long and where or who dropped the ball...Then there would be company wide re training effort to not have this happen again....least of all not for the world to see on a forum devoted to your brand....

Reactions: compjan

·
Registered
2008 v star 1300
422 Posts
I have visited two motor sports dealers in three years that have have gotten out being a Yamaha product dealer and sold off EVERY thing that resembled a tuning fork. I didn't get into specifics with the proprietors, but understood there was bad feelings involved. If I were CEO, I would start there.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts