Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
V Star 650 Classic
192 Posts
holy **** glad it did not do much damage here we have sand storms A LOT so with our without is bad lol. luckily most of the time mine is parked between our cars, well until the wind decide to lay it to the next car LOL.

btw for sport bikes it can flip it with or without the cover happened to a friend in a parking lot lol

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I cover all my bikes when parked , but the are always near buildings not in direct wind like that. We also have fences and trees around. Maybe park it parallel to the sidewalk , then you would not have direct side winds as the buildings on either side of the street would break it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Just to clarify, the good advice would be: remove your bike cover in strong winds. If the wind is strong enough it'll blow a motorcycle over, cover or not. Best to get the bike up against a solid surface on the non-kickstand side, like a garage wall or even a parked car if it's yours.

I personally cover my motorcycle daily because it's parked outside my workplace. Motorcyclist should be aware of the weather conditions anyway, so there is no reason not to use a cover— just remove it if there is a high wind advisory and the bike is outside.

·
Registered
2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
209 Posts
My Speedway Shelter is bolted into the concrete slab in 4 places, my truck on one side, perforated wall on the other side and the home in front and a carport roof on top. Plus, i put a concrete paver on the front lip. Never given me a problem, and we've had some heavy winds over the years. If it knocks that over, i have bigger problems with my mobile home.
Keep insurance on both just in case. ;)

EDIT: Actually i have it bolted down in 6 places into the concrete, i forgot about the 2 in back.

·
Registered
2015 V Star 950, 2013 Suzuki S40
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How long have you been covering your bike? How often has this happened?
This is my old bike, I had it since 2016 if my memory serves me right. I kept it without a cover all these years, and it never tipped over - only bought the cover a couple weeks ago and the first windy day it tipped over.

It's a very light bike, only 300lbs or there about, I'm sure that didn't help.

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, 1982 XS650 Heritage Special
2,870 Posts
This is my old bike, I had it since 2016 if my memory serves me right. I kept it without a cover all these years, and it never tipped over - only bought the cover a couple weeks ago and the first windy day it tipped over.

I've never seen a Savage with that much seat before. For the picture, I'm guessing you take long trips on it?

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
813 Posts

An unfortunate perfect storm.
As noted by Boog....the old Suzuki Savage!!! It's called an S40 (I think?) Bet that is a hoot to ride.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was beginning to wonder until you posted which bike blew over.
Don't think your 950 would blow over quite as easily.
Yep, the 950 is a garage queen, unfortunately only one bike fits in the garage.

I've never seen a Savage with that much seat before. For the picture, I'm guessing you take long trips on it?
I had the seat custom made - I am 6'4", good 230lbs, so with the stock seat I used to pretty much ride on the passenger portion of the seat. I had a local shop reupholster it where it is the same height all across the seat, much more comfortable for me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Our bikes are spoiled they’re garaged. Cleaning them up is simple and not very time consuming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, I'm in NYC so I don't even have a garage. I built a nice little shed for my V Star in the driveway, but its only big enough for one bike.

·
Super Moderator
4,429 Posts
Wind can be wild. Once sitting at my desk the wind outside started screaming. I watched my 800 lb Strat come off of the kickstand tried to run outside and had the door slam back at me. This is the video my boss took of the window almost being ripped out. Some kind of microburst.

Reactions: VStarArizona

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wind can be wild. Once sitting at my desk the wind outside started screaming. I watched my 800 lb Strat come off of the kickstand tried to run outside and had the door slam back at me. This is the video my boss took of the window almost being ripped out. Some kind of microburst.
I install these types of commercial windows for a living, I can tell you this is not the window being ripped out, its the whole structure around the opening the window is attached to shaking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts