Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forums. Pre-green to V Star. Hoping to pick up a used 2012 V Star 1300 Tour Monday if I can swing the right deal. $9.9k for a used 1300 seems a bit proud.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just outside Peoria. This dealer has the only 1300 within the general area that I've even found. I may widen my search but I like these guys so far. I've gotten good service just never bought from them.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The price seems close to normal for what I have seen them going for here in Michigan.

Well when you get it post some pictures. We love to spend your money modding it out.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mods I'm looking at so far are PCV with Autotune, crash bars, some sort of lowers (or just remove all wind protection), Ultimate seat, passing lights, and handlebars (narrower).

My first need, of course, will be to find a place to hang my guardian bell.

·
Administrator
13,290 Posts
howdy. that price seems a little high, but it is the height of buying season and if they have the only one around, the demand is going to be up at its highest. so it's not a bad deal. if there were more around, and you were buying 6 months ago, i think you could find a price closer to around $8.5K - $9K

·
Registered
194 Posts
Welcome! My husband and I currently live in Indianapolis, but may be making a move back to Illinois, in the area I grew up (about 20 miles south of Danville, IL). We have a 2008 V-Star 1300 Tour, I think we paid a little over $7k for it, bought it last year in August. Had almost 4k miles on it then, almost 8k miles on it now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum. From what I've read the price is a bit on the high side but it is the high season for selling also. If it's the one you want and you can't wait, then go for it. Why miss out on a great riding season just for a few bucks. Be sure to post some pics of your new ride.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To tell you the truth, my wife and I talked about it and if my financing looks good, I'm hoping to trade up to a Deluxe. I've been in the market for some time now courting the likes of Harley, Victory, Venture, etc. and although there is a lot to like there I've been put off the ridiculous price tags and lack of a middleweight. I feel stupid that I just realized the Deluxe even exists and it looks like the bike I've been looking for all along. I owe it to myself to try and get it.

Anything will be an upgrade to my nonfunctional 79 kz650sr and the Piaggio I've been riding trying to save for a new bike.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tomorrow is the day. Financing approved. It's almost finished being assembled.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it home tonight. No pics uploaded yet. First impressions are pretty good.

Wind management not too bad. There's a gentle breeze blowing through all the time despite the fairing and just a touch of buffeting. I suspect some properly placed lowers and a flip screen will fix that. The windscreen is taller than me, but is narrower than expected.

I keep waiting for the floorboards to scrape, but I've looked down several times just to see and cornering clearance is just fine.

Exhaust tone is just OK. I like a quiet exhaust and this is at my personal threshold. I suspect the sound system is merely gratuitous and a Bluetooth headset will be more useable. We'll see once I start using it's features.

Only a warm breeze on my right leg from the engine. Nothing hot and I have to pay attention to even realize the warmth that is making it to me.

I may change the handlebars to something narrower with the same pullback. Feels like beach bars and my arms are fully extended (I'm 5'8"). I may also go with toe shifter only. I don't like my left foot being confined due to the shifter.

Brakes are very nice. Near effortless with good feedback.

Engine not really put through it's paces yet. Feels strong. Clutch pulls off line without the need for throttle. Fifth gear feels like an overdrive. Anything under 55 in 5th is out of the power band.

GPS has Lifetime Maps.

Suspension needs some fine tuning. Need to increase the rear preload. An air shock is badly needed here as the engineering buries the shock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts