Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was contemplating getting a trailer to pull behind my Venture about a year and a half ago. I also have a small 4' x 6' cargo trailer that I use occasionally. Well thanks to our great governor, he raised the cargo plates up $100 for each class, even boat trailers. So my trailer would cost me $118 for the year. I may use it once or twice a year. So for the members that on here that live in the "BROKE" state of Illinois, when renewing your plates at the DMV, ask for a lifetime plate (its a semi trailer plate "ST"). Its just a onetime fee of $19!!!! Yes $19!!!. I did it a few days ago and I'm hoping to do it for a trailer for my bike. I'm looking into it. There is one catch. Your vehicle and what ever your hauling (combined weight) on your trailer can't exceed 8000 lbs.
The plate is a normal size car size plate. If I can get it to work for a pull behind trailer, who care how big it is!!
PASS THIS ON HERE IN ILLINOIS

·
Registered
963 Posts
I was contemplating getting a trailer to pull behind my Venture about a year and a half ago. I also have a small 4' x 6' cargo trailer that I use occasionally. Well thanks to our great governor, he raised the cargo plates up $100 for each class, even boat trailers. So my trailer would cost me $118 for the year. I may use it once or twice a year. So for the members that on here that live in the "BROKE" state of Illinois, when renewing your plates at the DMV, ask for a lifetime plate (its a semi trailer plate "ST"). Its just a onetime fee of $19!!!! Yes $19!!!. I did it a few days ago and I'm hoping to do it for a trailer for my bike. I'm looking into it. There is one catch. Your vehicle and what ever your hauling (combined weight) on your trailer can't exceed 8000 lbs.
The plate is a normal size car size plate. If I can get it to work for a pull behind trailer, who care how big it is!!
So I guess that hauling my mother-in-law is out....dang....

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
, ask for a lifetime plate
I bought one of those for my little lawnmower trailer here in Louisiana. I think it cost $125 back 10 or so years ago, I only paid $400 for the trailer. We just finished a re-furb on the trailer and I still have the tag & registration so no new fees for me. I just wish it was big enough to carry a bike, the trailer bed is only 6 feet long, I may see about an extension....

Reactions: hunter6462

·
Registered
963 Posts
Since the Stinger XL-112 from an Estate Sale was never put on the road by the original owner (death interrupted that) it was not plated. So, I had to go get one, and in Ontario, it is $72.00 CDN for a lifetime (no year validation sticker required) plate. With the massive C19 debt of all Federal and Provincial governments, I fear that the one-time cost of a Utility Trailer Plate is/will be coming to an end. They are looking ten ways to Sunday, for new revenue streams...and I'll just bet (not yet officially confirmed) that Utility Trailer Plates will become a yearly sticker validation requirement. I would only hope that any present plate would be 'grand fathered'.....as they do with Taxi licenses....and boy...WOULD that be gold, if it would be transferable along with the trailer you are selling, or trading in....add another three or four thousand to your asking price, if that would occur!

·
Registered
963 Posts
I bought one of those for my little lawnmower trailer here in Louisiana. I think it cost $125 back 10 or so years ago, I only paid $400 for the trailer. We just finished a re-furb on the trailer and I still have the tag & registration so no new fees for me. I just wish it was big enough to carry a bike, the trailer bed is only 6 feet long, I may see about an extension....
Be careful with any frame or 'bed' extension, that it would be seen as not 'legal' by either the Police or the Ministry of Transportation (that is what they are called in Ontario) officers that can pull you over for an audit inspection at a Scale or at the side of the road. I had a friend who added length to a shorter utility/garden trailer to carry an ATV, and was stopped by the O.P.P. going north on highway 400 just south of Barrie, Ontario, and subsequently it was taken off the road and placed O.O.S. for Highway Traffic Act violations. It was flat-bedded off the shoulder (with the plate confiscated by the O.P.P.) at more cost then the entire trailer was worth to my buddy! He still feels stung by the whole affair. It was strong...and could hold the ATV, but the fabrication was against regulations. You might run into that in your own State.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
You might run into that in your own State.
I've never heard of anyone getting a trailer infraction here in Louisiana. There seems to be very little in the way of enforcement. I see people pulling trailers loaded with scrap that look like they should leave them at the recyclers too. Many don't have plates at all or working lights and very very few would pass any kind of inspection. That said, if its solidly built and painted to match I don't think anyone would say a word.

We do have a 'weights & inspections' police here, they run the State scales for the commercial vehicles. Sometimes you see them pull a trucker over on the side of the road and break out the portable scales and do an inspection, but not very often. Our scales at the state line are not manned anymore, they have the transponder type equipment set up for the big trucks but I don't know what happens if a truck wants to pass & just turns all that off. That's probably why we have such wonderful roads down here....

Reactions: YamahaParExcellence

·
Registered
299 Posts
I live in Illinois, and my current registration for a 27' travel trailer plate renewal sticker says it is $18. I had to look this up to see what your talking about. It looks like there's different fees for new trailers that need plates versus already registered trailers. My registration renewal looks like it might have gone up to $30, because my TT is between 3k and 8k lbs. Anyway it looks to me like if you owned a trailer that already with plates and is less than 3k lbs, it is only $18, unless I missing something. Recreational Trailer License Plates
Edit, I see I wasn't looking at the right plates.
Truck and Trailer License Plates

·
Registered
963 Posts
I've never heard of anyone getting a trailer infraction here in Louisiana. There seems to be very little in the way of enforcement. I see people pulling trailers loaded with scrap that look like they should leave them at the recyclers too. Many don't have plates at all or working lights and very very few would pass any kind of inspection. That said, if its solidly built and painted to match I don't think anyone would say a word.

We do have a 'weights & inspections' police here, they run the State scales for the commercial vehicles. Sometimes you see them pull a trucker over on the side of the road and break out the portable scales and do an inspection, but not very often. Our scales at the state line are not manned anymore, they have the transponder type equipment set up for the big trucks but I don't know what happens if a truck wants to pass & just turns all that off. That's probably why we have such wonderful roads down here....
Up here, in Canada, especially in Ontario, we have very stringent police enforcement. For sure, nobody would call me (from Ontario) a liar, to say that on holiday or leading up to holidays, you can see practically a cruiser in the Highway 401 'turn-arounds' practically every three miles!!!! You also see all the time, not only O.P.P. (Ontario Provincial Police, or our version of Blah-Blah State Police) having pulled over a car AND transport trucks (they can check logs, have portable weight scales, all of that) but you can see cars with trailers...cargo, utility, and especially boats pulled over on busy, or holiday weekends. The O.P.P. are not slanged as (0)ffical (P)arty (P)oopers for nothing! What the infraction was for, was too much over hang back of the axle, creating an unsafe tongue weight condition. Something like that, if I remember. Just for anybody reading, The Government of Ontario has just brought into law...an amendment to the Ontario Stunt Driving Law...and has brought down where you get nailed for this very serious charge (in Ontario...serious punitive action) by 10 KM's in any speed zone that is posted 79 KM's or less. Roadways posted at 80KM's and over, have the same 'Hi..we are now going to take your license and vehicle away. Have a good day!' limits intact. They have now increased the fine, and you will lose your license for 30 days (from previous 7 days), and now, your vehicle will be roadside impounded for 14 days (from previous 7 days). The total cost of the fine, and the storage to get back your car, truck, or motorcycle is massive. The charge/ticket, leading up to a day in Ontario Court can run you up to $10,000 CDN !!! Just a FYI, as I was referencing and typing about the Ontario Highway Traffic Act enforcement within the wonderful 'Gulag' of current--->Ontario, Canada!

Post Edit: Just to share to our non-Ontario readers, from other parts of Canada, or from the great U.S.A.....is that the O.P.P.'s favorite GOTCHA! spots is at night, lights out, on the shoulder of any roadway or highway. They sit at a 90 angle to take your picture and light you up, in turn off Rest Areas and Truck Rest Areas, of all highways in Ontario, they will sit in cities just off a cross road turn off, in private parking lots of fast foods, or on the dirt shoulder if there is one. They will hide and blend in amongst other parked vehicles to not stand out...and today in Ontario, a lot of the Traffic Enforcement Unit are in unmarked and unconventional police cruisers. A lot of them are actually COMPACTS! They don't need V-8's anymore to chase you down...for they usually nab you not 1-2 km's past where they lit you up! Just a warning...if you come to Ontario...either as a tourist, or to pass through it to get back somewhere into another State...be aware that at any km on the road,..smile...for you can be on 'Gotcha!' Radar Gun Camera, mounted on the cruiser, or hand held! Seriously!

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
They will hide and blend in amongst other parked vehicles to not stand out.
Louisiana went with "ghost cars", they still stick out like a sore thumb but a white sticker on a white car is pretty low down dirty... I strongly dislike "policing for revenue" - that's something else this part of Louisiana is/was famous for, they even did a 60 Minutes TV segment on it - if there is a safety concern in an area then up the enforcement, don't just do it because the budget is a little short this year. Texas has 75 mph limits on the interstate, cross the bridge into Louisiana and it drops to 70. Get closer to town and it drops to 65. No good reason for that, traffic usually flows nicely at 80-ish until the speed traps show up.

Reactions: YamahaParExcellence

·
Registered
963 Posts
Louisiana went with "ghost cars", they still stick out like a sore thumb but a white sticker on a white car is pretty low down dirty... I strongly dislike "policing for revenue" - that's something else this part of Louisiana is/was famous for, they even did a 60 Minutes TV segment on it - if there is a safety concern in an area then up the enforcement, don't just do it because the budget is a little short this year. Texas has 75 mph limits on the interstate, cross the bridge into Louisiana and it drops to 70. Get closer to town and it drops to 65. No good reason for that, traffic usually flows nicely at 80-ish until the speed traps show up.

View attachment 106036
The O.P.P have 'Ghost Car's as well...they are mid size, are totally black, with a very light...VERY LIGHT gold colored O.P.P. and the service Coat of Arms underneath. Even at 5 feet from then, you need to squint to even see the lettering. They are going (they have made this public...) more and more to 'stealth' enforcing, as they say, everybody obeys the speed limit with an fully decked out and easily visible O.P.P Cruiser is amongst them.... When I was heading down to Myrtle Beach a few years ago on our then, 2008 Honda Goldwing Deluxe Sound, each town...had just before the true city limits sign...a construction site with a speed limit of 25 miles per hour, where the actual without the 'construction' was 40 mph. Each town...in and out of town... No construction crew. Nobody...not even stored on site construction equipment. Only the electric sign, warning you of the up and coming work zone...and then pylons 'in' LOL, the work zone. I commented to a hotel staff member, checking into our room that night ,about every town having an in and out segment of construction, but NO CONSTRUCTION going on with Human Resources or equipment,...and when he finished laughing...he said, welcome to Tennessee. That,... dear guests is the local towns way of revenue grabbing and I'm surprised you did not see a deputy or sheriff car either at the front, or at the back of the so called construction zone. They put them up after school gets out, and in the Fall, to grab mostly out-of-State tourists that use these well known back county short cuts to peel off a few miles to Myrtle. We didn't get nailed...but I did see coming back at least three cars and two pick-ups...nailed in , or just after the last pylon of the 'construction' site... Yep...that was true...

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
@Louisiana Jeff add a piece of U channel out onto the tongue with angled bend up at the end . Then you have a motorcycle trailer. I did that with a Jet Ski trailer to haul a Drag Bike.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
They are very nice here in Wisconsin. They aught to be because i probably pay 1/2 of their salaries my self. I have 3 trucks 1 car bass boat and an RV. The classic is $22 every 2 years Trucks $118 each the car $100 and the RV $22 a year. For some reason they let me slide with the boat trailer probably because i have to pay boat registration with the DNR. They did raise title transfer to $350. With all of the crap i have you would think i was rich. Wisconsin you don't have to plate a trailer under i believe under 3000#
As far as ghost cars here they have camaros and mustangs etc. It is like they intice you. That Wind Lake Mustang used to have someone busted every day on hwy 36 on my way home from work when i had a 30 mile commute

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
No construction crew. Nobody...not even stored on site construction equipment.
They used to do that here ( the local yokels) then the State changed the law (not sure if there was a lawsuit or not) to "there must be actual work being performed" so some of them hired people to "clean up" the site while patrol was there. I think they finally gave up on that too.

One town was going to buy & use an automatic radar that would capture speed and license plates & mail out tickets so they could go 24 hour. I think they were even going to lay off a cop or two but that may be a rumor. That was squashed due to public outrage of the people living in the area.

·
Registered
963 Posts
They used to do that here ( the local yokels) then the State changed the law (not sure if there was a lawsuit or not) to "there must be actual work being performed" so some of them hired people to "clean up" the site while patrol was there. I think they finally gave up on that too.

One town was going to buy & use an automatic radar that would capture speed and license plates & mail out tickets so they could go 24 hour. I think they were even going to lay off a cop or two but that may be a rumor. That was squashed due to public outrage of the people living in the area.
We have photo-radar RED LIGHT cameras throughout the City of Toronto and some parts of Ontario. They have been publishing where they take them down, and then where they next set them up. They are not permanent...so they are real money makers... The owner of the car gets the ticket and must pay, against their license, but there are no points associated with the ticket. If the ticket is not paid, the registered owner of the vehicle can not get plate tags, or renew their driver's license. In Ontario, the chances that you are going to get nabbed, is pretty high, with all the police we have (they are paid very well, and most make six figures a year as a first class constable), the tech, and then the installed tech throughout the Province. The best advise I always give to my family coming to visit us, is to cross the border...and set the Cruise to 100 kph. You're done...and no chance of being distracted and getting nailed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I live in Illinois, and my current registration for a 27' travel trailer plate renewal sticker says it is $18. I had to look this up to see what your talking about. It looks like there's different fees for new trailers that need plates versus already registered trailers. My registration renewal looks like it might have gone up to $30, because my TT is between 3k and 8k lbs. Anyway it looks to me like if you owned a trailer that already with plates and is less than 3k lbs, it is only $18, unless I missing something. Recreational Trailer License Plates
Edit, I see I wasn't looking at the right plates.
Truck and Trailer License Plates
Recreational plates didn't go up. The cargo plates all went up

·
Registered
720 Posts
The O.P.P have 'Ghost Car's as well...they are mid size, are totally black, with a very light...VERY LIGHT gold colored O.P.P. and the service Coat of Arms underneath. Even at 5 feet from then, you need to squint to even see the lettering. They are going (they have made this public...) more and more to 'stealth' enforcing, as they say, everybody obeys the speed limit with an fully decked out and easily visible O.P.P Cruiser is amongst them.... When I was heading down to Myrtle Beach a few years ago on our then, 2008 Honda Goldwing Deluxe Sound, each town...had just before the true city limits sign...a construction site with a speed limit of 25 miles per hour, where the actual without the 'construction' was 40 mph. Each town...in and out of town... No construction crew. Nobody...not even stored on site construction equipment. Only the electric sign, warning you of the up and coming work zone...and then pylons 'in' LOL, the work zone. I commented to a hotel staff member, checking into our room that night ,about every town having an in and out segment of construction, but NO CONSTRUCTION going on with Human Resources or equipment,...and when he finished laughing...he said, welcome to Tennessee. That,... dear guests is the local towns way of revenue grabbing and I'm surprised you did not see a deputy or sheriff car either at the front, or at the back of the so called construction zone. They put them up after school gets out, and in the Fall, to grab mostly out-of-State tourists that use these well known back county short cuts to peel off a few miles to Myrtle. We didn't get nailed...but I did see coming back at least three cars and two pick-ups...nailed in , or just after the last pylon of the 'construction' site... Yep...that was true...
Back in the 90's, we were driving down to VA from RI to visit my wife's sister. I was driving my 87 Chevy pick up. Going through Delaware, the speed limit would suddenly drop from 55 to 45 to 35, before going back up on the other side. I was travelling at the same speed as the rest of the traffic. In the mirror, I saw a car, weaving between the traffic, coming up on me from behind. Once he was behind me, the lights came on, pulled me over, and gave me a ticket. As I said, he passed up all the other cars, with the DE plates, going the same speed, to get the one from out of state.

Reactions: Louisiana Jeff

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well i purchased this trailer

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha Star Venture TC
55 Posts
Sweet! Nice to see that it has a swivel hitch, a highly recommended safety feature.

Reactions: hunter6462

·
Registered
963 Posts
Back in the 90's, we were driving down to VA from RI to visit my wife's sister. I was driving my 87 Chevy pick up. Going through Delaware, the speed limit would suddenly drop from 55 to 45 to 35, before going back up on the other side. I was travelling at the same speed as the rest of the traffic. In the mirror, I saw a car, weaving between the traffic, coming up on me from behind. Once he was behind me, the lights came on, pulled me over, and gave me a ticket. As I said, he passed up all the other cars, with the DE plates, going the same speed, to get the one from out of state.
I have no problem AT ALL believing this! They say that the Tennessee State Troopers do that all the time...will sit on the Dragon....and let all sorts of native bikes go by...and then hand flash over an out of state. You merely have to 'kiss the yellow line' to get nabbed. Many Dragon Busters...have seen and documented that. Make the tourist pay first...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts