Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Illinois Trailer plates

7K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  YamahaParExcellence 
#1 ·
I was contemplating getting a trailer to pull behind my Venture about a year and a half ago. I also have a small 4' x 6' cargo trailer that I use occasionally. Well thanks to our great governor, he raised the cargo plates up $100 for each class, even boat trailers. So my trailer would cost me $118 for the year. I may use it once or twice a year. So for the members that on here that live in the "BROKE" state of Illinois, when renewing your plates at the DMV, ask for a lifetime plate (its a semi trailer plate "ST"). Its just a onetime fee of $19!!!! Yes $19!!!. I did it a few days ago and I'm hoping to do it for a trailer for my bike. I'm looking into it. There is one catch. Your vehicle and what ever your hauling (combined weight) on your trailer can't exceed 8000 lbs.
The plate is a normal size car size plate. If I can get it to work for a pull behind trailer, who care how big it is!!
PASS THIS ON HERE IN ILLINOIS

#3 ·
, ask for a lifetime plate
I bought one of those for my little lawnmower trailer here in Louisiana. I think it cost $125 back 10 or so years ago, I only paid $400 for the trailer. We just finished a re-furb on the trailer and I still have the tag & registration so no new fees for me. I just wish it was big enough to carry a bike, the trailer bed is only 6 feet long, I may see about an extension....

Reactions: hunter6462
#5 ·
Be careful with any frame or 'bed' extension, that it would be seen as not 'legal' by either the Police or the Ministry of Transportation (that is what they are called in Ontario) officers that can pull you over for an audit inspection at a Scale or at the side of the road. I had a friend who added length to a shorter utility/garden trailer to carry an ATV, and was stopped by the O.P.P. going north on highway 400 just south of Barrie, Ontario, and subsequently it was taken off the road and placed O.O.S. for Highway Traffic Act violations. It was flat-bedded off the shoulder (with the plate confiscated by the O.P.P.) at more cost then the entire trailer was worth to my buddy! He still feels stung by the whole affair. It was strong...and could hold the ATV, but the fabrication was against regulations. You might run into that in your own State.

#4 · (Edited)
Since the Stinger XL-112 from an Estate Sale was never put on the road by the original owner (death interrupted that) it was not plated. So, I had to go get one, and in Ontario, it is $72.00 CDN for a lifetime (no year validation sticker required) plate. With the massive C19 debt of all Federal and Provincial governments, I fear that the one-time cost of a Utility Trailer Plate is/will be coming to an end. They are looking ten ways to Sunday, for new revenue streams...and I'll just bet (not yet officially confirmed) that Utility Trailer Plates will become a yearly sticker validation requirement. I would only hope that any present plate would be 'grand fathered'.....as they do with Taxi licenses....and boy...WOULD that be gold, if it would be transferable along with the trailer you are selling, or trading in....add another three or four thousand to your asking price, if that would occur!

#7 · (Edited)
I live in Illinois, and my current registration for a 27' travel trailer plate renewal sticker says it is $18. I had to look this up to see what your talking about. It looks like there's different fees for new trailers that need plates versus already registered trailers. My registration renewal looks like it might have gone up to $30, because my TT is between 3k and 8k lbs. Anyway it looks to me like if you owned a trailer that already with plates and is less than 3k lbs, it is only $18, unless I missing something. Recreational Trailer License Plates
Edit, I see I wasn't looking at the right plates.
Truck and Trailer License Plates

#15 ·
I live in Illinois, and my current registration for a 27' travel trailer plate renewal sticker says it is $18. I had to look this up to see what your talking about. It looks like there's different fees for new trailers that need plates versus already registered trailers. My registration renewal looks like it might have gone up to $30, because my TT is between 3k and 8k lbs. Anyway it looks to me like if you owned a trailer that already with plates and is less than 3k lbs, it is only $18, unless I missing something. Recreational Trailer License Plates
Edit, I see I wasn't looking at the right plates.
Truck and Trailer License Plates
Recreational plates didn't go up. The cargo plates all went up

#12 ·
They are very nice here in Wisconsin. They aught to be because i probably pay 1/2 of their salaries my self. I have 3 trucks 1 car bass boat and an RV. The classic is $22 every 2 years Trucks $118 each the car $100 and the RV $22 a year. For some reason they let me slide with the boat trailer probably because i have to pay boat registration with the DNR. They did raise title transfer to $350. With all of the crap i have you would think i was rich. Wisconsin you don't have to plate a trailer under i believe under 3000#
As far as ghost cars here they have camaros and mustangs etc. It is like they intice you. That Wind Lake Mustang used to have someone busted every day on hwy 36 on my way home from work when i had a 30 mile commute

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.