Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
Thanks for the update Tharin, and I’m glad to see you have a positive attitude. I know you’re kinda bummed out, however it’s temporary. Keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I have been pretty fortunate dealing with insurance co. My wife totaled her car someone turned left in front of her. We actually got retail value for it. I got rear ended with my truck while sitting at a stop light. (was a rough year). My neck and back stiffened up right away. I told the LEO and they put it in the report. Went to the doctor the next day. I was thinking id be ok but dotting i's and crossing t's. They were great at fixing my truck. Got $1700 for bent rear bumper. 2 years later i never signed any medical thing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well, things are finally starting to happen. I got the estimate back for my bike. $6252. I thought for sure they would total it but they did not. The insurance company stopped by my local dealer and wrote a check for the entire repair. My only issue is that a few of the parts have to come from Japan. They say up to two months for those parts to arrive.
Today I got a check from the same adjuster for $1875 for all my gear and communicators. Now to order gear again. I will definitely be going with Hi-Vis gear this time around.
I'm still having some swelling in my lower left leg so I go to a physical therapist tomorrow to start working on that issue. My left foot is a little sore but nothing major.
I head to an attorney on Friday for a consult. I'm hoping to avoid medical bill trouble. I'll see how that goes. The bills are starting to arrive and I don't want to pay out of pocket for an accident that was not my fault. We will see!!
Overall, things are good. I'm missing the bike though. Its been over a month and summer is ticking away. It is way past time to ride.
I have two bike trips planned yet this year. Hopefully my bike will be repaired. I have asked the insurance company to rent me a bike until I get mine back. I haven't heard if that will happen but I'm trying anyway.

January 2019 I set a goal for myself to ride a minimum of 250 miles every month for the year. I'm holding out that I can still get my miles in for July. Its not looking good though.

Anyhow, stay safe all. Have a great evening.

Tharin

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I thought all the states now have no-fault insurance, which means your insurance pays for medical bills (no matters who was at fault)
then the insurance companies battle it out.

I like buying gear at local MC shops just to keep them in business, esp when you need to try things on...

but when you already have something and its worn out, and you want another one from the same company in the same size... I have gotten great deals on gear from motorcyclegear.com
most notable a discontinued new in box HJC RPHA carbon fiber full face helmet, for $125.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It was a good day today. I got my bike back from the shop on Friday. It was missing from my garage for 64 days. BUT, the best part is that I just finished my Edema Therapy and can now ride. I finished it today.
So, the bike will be on the road tomorrow and likely a couple days over the weekend. I leave for 5 days on the bike on Wednesday. I've got some miles to make up.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
It was a good day today. I got my bike back from the shop on Friday. It was missing from my garage for 64 days. BUT, the best part is that I just finished my Edema Therapy and can now ride. I finished it today.
So, the bike will be on the road tomorrow and likely a couple days over the weekend. I leave for 5 days on the bike on Wednesday. I've got some miles to make up.
I am excited for you! I could only imagine the crap you have had to deal with.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well, Last Monday was 1 year post accident. So, I obviously had to ride. I loaded up Monday morning for a trip down the Washington, Oregon and California coast. I live 1/4 mile off Highway 101 so that was my logical trip. Headed out bright and early and started logging miles. It was a great ride. Covid made restaurants and lodging a challenge but I managed. I didn't make it very far into California before I turned around. Lodging was bumming/stressing me out so I be lined for home. First overnight trip of the year in the books. Hoping for another in a couple weeks if anywhere decides to open up from Covid.
Bike is running good and seems to have been repaired 100%. My health, particularly my leg, is doing OK. I'm stuck wearing compression stocking the rest of my life but other than that-I'm good. The lawyers are still battling to get me some medical bill assistance but again. I'm good. God is good and I'm a blessed man.
Tharin

·
Registered
271 Posts
One year later...time flies.
Very glad everything turned out ok, and as you know, it could have been much much worse. Paying attention, anticipating what might happen, slowing down, your gear, all played a role. Sometimes we do everything right and still get dinged up.

Good to hear you're on two wheels and enjoying the ride.

·
Registered
2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project-- Soon to acquire a 2006 Stratoliner
155 Posts
I always love to hear we get back ON after an OFF. I pray you stay ON from now on. As getting off is not as cool as it looks on TV.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Glad you’re doing well! The 101 is a beautiful ride. Sucks you couldn’t go further, though I don’t blame you.

·
Administrator
3,494 Posts
Welcome back. It's good to see it didn't take away your love of riding. I can't believe they're dicking you around with the medical bills. That should be a no-brainer. The accident wasn't your fault and that's what caused your injuries. Seems pretty black and white to me (oops, can I still say that?) and they should cover all costs without question. Lawyers :rolleyes:

21 - 34 of 34 Posts