Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I may not ever own a Yamaha, but my Fatboy needs to be upgraded, and I was thinking about the Statroliner.

I bought my Harley brand new in 2000, but I'd like a fairing, radio, saddlebags and my chrome is pitting, so maybe it's time to shop around.

I demo rode a Victory Touring, and it was OK, but the dealer/shop manager yelled at me big time for going for a 75 minute test ride, so I'll never buy anything there. I even called his manager twice, and never got a call back. They were having a demo day, and I returned 1 hour BEFORE closing time. It really upset the rest of my day.

In any case, I was perusing CL, and there's a few leftover 2010's for $11,000. I think my Fatboy is worth close to 10, so we'll see if it sells privately. The HD dealer offered me $7200 (book value) against a Police bike they had on the floor, but I didn't like the color.

Or I'll keep my FB and do the 6 speed, saddlebags and fairing. That'll cost $4,000, that's why I thought it better to trade to a newer bike, with the stuff I want already installed

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
One reason I didn't go HD. I hated hearing "crappy bike, got trouble, it's old, high mileage, oh and it's worth $10 grand!!!".

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
621 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There's a few guys around here who kind of like their Stratoliners, so I'm sure they'll point out what a good idea a Star is.

·
Registered
621 Posts
One reason I didn't go HD. I hated hearing "crappy bike, got trouble, it's old, high mileage, oh and it's worth $10 grand!!!".
Yup, Craigslist is always good for a chuckle that way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The manager suggested a 15 minute route, but I took it as a suggestion, and the day was beuteeful, and I was getting into the bike, and I don't think you can get a feel for anything in a 10-15-20 minute ride. Maybe a shopping cart, but not a $20,000 machine.... Thoughts?

howdy. how long were you supposed to take for a demo ride?

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I've had many bikes in my past, but never a HD, and now own a Strato-S and will keep this until it's time to meet my maker.

I took advantage of an invitation to test ride a Stratoliner promo by Yamaha late summer 2005. As it worked out, my Warrior was going in for a recall (TPS upgrade) and my dealer was also one participating in the promo, so I scheduled them both on the same day....5 years later, I got me one.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well for what its worth, I have been riding for 25 years and have had numerous bikes. I have had my Strat for almost a year now. I have put 15K miles on it in that time, so I would say I am qualified to give you my 2 cents worth about this lovely machine.
It is first of all, a beautiful bike. I get comments on it all the time and mine is basically stock. It is very well balanced and rides really smooth for a bike that weighs around 800lbs. With the 1900cc it has more than enough torque to get you where you need to get quite quickly. It is comfortable as it is stock, with a custom seat you can ride for hours without getting numbbutt syndrome. Gas milage, for me, ranges between 40 and 50 but I average around 42mpg. My biggest complaint with the Strat is I wish it had a larger tank, other than that I am totally pleased with it.

There are pleanty others that will gladly share their thoughts as well, but everything I have heard is that Strat owners are happy with their bikes.

Good luck on getthing the info you need to make the jump over to a Strat but I would most definatly take one for a spin first, if you do, you will fall in love. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thx BigBad... My local Yam HD dealer was explicit... around the block test ride. So I'll shop/buy it wherever they let me go for an hour or so. I'm not doing it for the thrill. I can do that on my Fatboy...

The Victory felt good, lite and balanced, more so than my FB, I believe. But it was no powerhouse, tho that's hard to feel by "seat of the pants". It wouldn't do anything below +-1700 RPM, but my FB doesn't have a tach, so I can't compare.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a 2010 Strat Dlx last year and love it. I upgraded from a VStar 1100. The only complaint I have is I wish the tank was a bit bigger, but its not that big a deal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I gotta try it 1st. It'll need pipes, and I've never heard what they sound like, and I'm not getting the bike cheap, then paying rip off prices for parts, like the dealer would like me to. BTW, I hate Honda's V Twins sound...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Check out some Youtube videos. The sound quality is usually crap, but it gives you an idea of the difference.

And yeah, never buy aftermarket parts from the dealer if you can help it. They're always marked up a lot.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Good god ...
ok, keep talking guys so I can start considering yet another bike.
Last, July I told my wife the 1300 would be the real deal "till I met my maker" when I bought it. After all it was for her comfort so we could take longer road trips together.

We sat on a Strat many times in the show room, beautiful bike, also at the Charlotte Bike Show a few months back, liked it a lot.
My concern is weight, seemed pretty balanced in the showroom and learned with the alum. frame its only 80 lbs heaver then a 1300 tourer? Im not getting younger but assume at 5'11" and 185 lbs it should be a bike I can ride for a long time

Anyway because of this post I started revisting the idea ... crap, thought I was done dreaming about the next bike for at least a year or two.

It would be great to know if anyone had a 1300 tourer and moved up to this bike. ALL our roads are pretty much rural higher speds roads and major interstate 70 mph speeds but also we enjoy around town riding and its a BIG town.

So I have no idea of the purpose of this post except if maybe something positive can flip my mind on or off to the idea at least for another year. Yes, I do see some new at compelling prices, then again I just bought a bike at a xompelling price last summer ...good lord ... *L* Oops she's waking up, let me close this thread for a bit.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Well, far be it from me to "flip you off" :D, so I won't. I love my Strato as a commuter, as well as a "round towner" with the wife on the back, as well as a highway fast laner. I'll admit the extra weight and the longer wheelbase made it a bit harder to get accustomed to slow parking lot manuvering (with a passenger) but managed to get real comfortable doing it after a few weeks.

But my wife won't believe me when she hears me say "This is my last scooter", she rolls her eyes and muttters "ya RIGHT"....this has been going on for two years now, maybe after another 8 or 9 years she'll start believing it. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I gotta try it 1st. It'll need pipes, and I've never heard what they sound like, and I'm not getting the bike cheap, then paying rip off prices for parts, like the dealer would like me to. BTW, I hate Honda's V Twins sound...
There is the sound made by an air cooled V-Twin and that from a water cooled V-Twin, and they ain't even close in my opinion.

·
Registered
845 Posts
But my wife won't believe me when she hears me say "This is my last scooter", she rolls her eyes and muttters "ya RIGHT"....this has been going on for two years now, maybe after another 8 or 9 years she'll start believing it. :rolleyes:
What is it about us that woman never completely believe what we tell them? *L*
I noticed Maine in your post, my wifes company headquarters is in Lewiston, though neither of us ever been up there, they normally come down here to visit. We are x-NY ers.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
.....We are x-NY ers.
Okay, now you're just asking to be flipped off. :D All I need to hear now is you are yankees fans :mad:

At our Maine residence, I'm about 45 minutes SW of Auburn/Lewiston. I bought the Strato at Central Maine Powersports in Lewiston, ME in August of 2010.

What's the name of the company? I've probably driven by it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I should make a video of the crappy sounding Honda's, and I don't think water-air cooled has much, if anything to do with it

1 - 20 of 25 Posts