Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking to upgrade my bike.
Looked long and hard and finally decided on what I wanted
Unfortunately it wasn't a Yamaha. I love my 950T but wanted a bike with a 6th gear that was overdrive. That led me to the Kawasaki Nomad.
Brought her home yesterday.
2012 Kawasaki 1700 Nomad.

MMS_919.jpeg

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Red:confused:
I think it's comfortable. Just sitting there it is very comfortable, but I haven't taken it on a long ride yet.
My 950 seat feels comfortable just sitting there but after a couple of hours I got to get off.
Time will tell if the Nomad seat is really comfortable.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,482 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. You realize that you still have to stay active here. :D :)

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
you are not a traitor unless you had all your Vstar friends killed.... o_O

Royal Star bikes have a steep .75 overdrive in 5th gear, so I get that. Its kinda necessary with the Royal Star V4 engine, but I think the Roadstar 5th gear is also pretty steep.

Vstar bikes, Honda and Kawasaki are all pretty close in their reliability ratings, a few percent points. If you got a Suzuki you would be mocked and ridiculed until my voice was raw :^)

The brotherhood of motorbike riders is a stronger bond than the band of Vstar bike owners - we still love you!

·
2,515 Posts
Very nice. I have an 07 1600 Nomad, same colour, and they let me stay 😉.

The 1700 is completely redesigned with a smaller frame to make it easier to maneuver, on top of the bigger engine and 6th gear. I find mine runs very smoothly between 120 - 140 kmh (70 to 85 mph) which is well above the speed limit and is fast enough for me. I still have plenty more if needed though. It’s heavy and I’m not very big but so far no issues. You’re gonna love it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Paul
I'm just getting used to the extra weight. I'm not that big either but I believe it will be manageable.
It's got way more power than I need. I enjoy just poking along.
I've seen you on the Vulcan forum - I'm "Sixth Gear" over there.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
thing to watch when you get a heavier bike is the slow speed

when you stop keep the bike straight, dont try creeping around corners at 1mph until you put a few thousand miles on it

stop clean, give the left grip a bit of a push forward just as you stop, so the bike tilts slightly to the left so you can plant your left foot, then your right

your friction zone slow riding will take a bit of practice, U turns

also if you stop on pavement that slopes sideways, it does not take much of a lean left or right for a heavy bike to get away from you, keep moving till you can stop where the pavement is level left and right if you have to.

the other thing with a heavy bike - always look for a pull thru parking space, or back the bike in if you must to have it pointing uphill when you leave

you do not want to have to duck walk the bike backwards up any slope at all, to get out of a parking space - you might not be able to

and watch the rear brake, it will skid easily on a heavy bike, because it has more momentum

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thing to watch when you get a heavier bike is the slow speed

when you stop keep the bike straight, dont try creeping around corners at 1mph until you put a few thousand miles on it

stop clean, give the left grip a bit of a push forward just as you stop, so the bike tilts slightly to the left so you can plant your left foot, then your right

your friction zone slow riding will take a bit of practice, U turns

also if you stop on pavement that slopes sideways, it does not take much of a lean left or right for a heavy bike to get away from you, keep moving till you can stop where the pavement is level left and right if you have to.

the other thing with a heavy bike - always look for a pull thru parking space, or back the bike in if you must to have it pointing uphill when you leave

you do not want to have to duck walk the bike backwards up any slope at all, to get out of a parking space - you might not be able to

and watch the rear brake, it will skid easily on a heavy bike, because it has more momentum
Thanks KCW
Those are all excellent pointers. I've already experienced a few of the things you've pointed out.
I've still got a lot more to learn.

dpeters thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
Very nice looking , Kawasaki makes a good bike , I had a 900cc and a 1000cc for years.....I was going to say a killer bike , but then everyone would think I was talking about the 2 cycle triples they made....they were all widow makers :giggle:
if you want a Yamaha with tall ears ,find a Stratoliner, I have to be doing 70 mph to shift into 5th gear....4th doesn't even start to feel you are pushing till past 60 mph ( which you can cruse in )

1 - 20 of 30 Posts